Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Ranked Serves are no more...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Ranked Serves are no more...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah....so all the ranked servers for this game disappeared overnight last weekend, so no more stats/XP tracking. Hopefully whoever is running those servers switches them over to unranked soon so we can have a few more low-ping servers to play on.

You can still play (and still play against everyone who frequented the ranked servers) but now you're subject to a bit more stupidity going on, with a few well-known not-so-inconspicuous cheaters. The games can still have a high-caliber of gameplay, but it's a bit more hit and miss. :down:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought ranked servers were down a long time ago... or was that just the stats website?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The stats website was gone quite a while ago, but the actual stats themselves were still being tracked and you could see them in the usual place in the game GUI. I'm guessing that's the actual service that was cut from Splash Damage/Activsion/Whoever was running it.

Regarding the ranked vs unranked, it's no big deal, really. The only difference was the tighter enforcement against occurances of dickheadedness on ranked servers and people tended to moderate themselves more often. That and no fucking bots, but there are still a several unranked servers that are human-only.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-17-2013 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

badman wrote:
ETQW was being migrated to a new data center earlier today which I'm guessing coincided with the downtime. Things should be working correctly again now though!
I've pinged id regarding the server situation...

Well, they might be trying to fix it right now. Most server masters have temporarily moved servers to unranked until that happens.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-17-2013 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers on the info. :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-20-2013 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys still play? Must have been a year since I last did.
And I stopped caring about stats/XP long before that, because I thought it wasn't registered anymore back then.
But makes you wonder about the sustainability of games these days, though. And why the service was discontinued by Splash Damage/Activsion/whoever was running it. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to just keep the service up and running.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-20-2013 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you read the quote above, SD still supports the game. They migrated servers so they broke something... sounds like they're working on a fix though.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-21-2013 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah yes, sorry, skimmed right past that.
Maybe time to fire up the old fucker again. Haven't played a MP game as fun and rewarding.
Good thing about it having "matured" is annoying noobs have mostly been weeded out.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-21-2013 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still play this game at least once a week in the evening and I play at least twice a week at work during lunch break.

This game never gets old...at least for me. :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-23-2013 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good news and bad news:

- Good news: Ranked servers are back.

- Bad news: The only people still playing this are the griefing idiots who played unranked...who've now invaded the ranked servers. Watch them and laugh with glee as they destroy their own team's defences and guffaw with delight as they fire rockets into groups of teammates being helped by medics...because it's hilarious in a team-based game and mainly because there's no voting to kick them. The 2 months downtime of the ranked servers has made all the good players leave and has, unfortunately, killed this game once and for all. :(

Love live ETQW.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-14-2013 04:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A shame :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.