Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        What is perfect physics?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What is perfect physics?

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FPS games are all about the feel of the game. Different games from different makers have a different feel. What I'm wondering about is that are the physics a personal preference or a wide standart? Can there be such a game that has "the perfect physics" that all other games should be based on for the years to come? Wouldn't that make it a lot easier to play different games if they have the same perfect feel to each of them and one can use their skill and insitincts to the max in every game without having to adapt?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my body..growl

Seriously though, I don't think there's a thing called perfect physics, since each game has its own elemtens that require different settings.
Altough, there's some physics that are more fun then others, for me q3 > ut. Why? Speed, duh. :p

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 11:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Object physics in HL2 are as good as you gonna get for some time. :p From a game standpoint, I think they are pretty much perfect. Have you tried Garry's Mod for HL2? People have made different types of contraptions, their own rigged vehicles and other stuff like rube goldberg machines. All done within the games physics system, pretty kick ass.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends. When are physics perfect? When they are exactly like they would be in real life or when they would allow you to make all kinds of weird jumps a la Q3's trickjumping? I don't think one is better than the other in general. I do think that the latter is better for games like Q3 and the first is better for games like Call of Duty.

I don't think perfect physics exist. It's just what's best suitable for each individual game.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'Physics' might be too much of a 'catch-all' here. Sure, the physics operative in the game world matters a helluva a lot...but player-character interface is at least as important (i.e., how 'connected' your character's actions are to keystrokes/mouse movements; how easily you can gain proficiency in making this interface do <i>exactly</i> what you want in terms of your character's actions). For instance, Quake, q2, and Q3 have different 'feels' physics-wise, but all of them make you feel very connected to the world and the action (for example, compared to UT, or AvP....both of which feel less smooth and less precise in the interface department).

Obviously these things are connected, but they are still distinct.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for movement physics, I've never had more fun flying around a game than I do in CPMa.

That game has an absolutely cool set of physics/tricks.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perfect physics is putting a bunch of Wights together and then tossing a bomb.

Never dies...
Never dies...
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perfect physics for me, are...well, as long as it's fun and keeps me coming back to play it for years. (Quake 3) :p

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
Perfect physics is putting a bunch of Wights together and then tossing a bomb.

Heh, I once used the editor to create wights that on explosion, spawned two more explosions.
Heeheehee, borked my Mac that did :D

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 04:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed, physics can mean more than one thing in the case of a game. The object physics in HL2 are cool, but its not really realistic (bodies get thrown around for miles). What people need to keep in mind is that the interface is a keyboard and a mouse. That means that you can't make it too complex, or else the controls wont work out.

What you have to remember is that its a -game- you shouldnt focus on trying to make it realistic.. you should focus on making it work! If you're making a cinematic singleplayer style game, you don't need good gameplay. All you need is good storytelling and surroundings and such. But if you go for multiplayer game you should leave out as much trinkets as possible. If the base gameplay is good (movement/weapon balance) then you are set for a good multiplayer experience, you don't even need lots of game modes...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Object physics in HL2 are as good as you gonna get for some time. :p From a game standpoint, I think they are pretty much perfect. Have you tried Garry's Mod for HL2? People have made different types of contraptions, their own rigged vehicles and other stuff like rube goldberg machines. All done within the games physics system, pretty kick ass.

Its not perfect.
There are mass discrepancies between peoples machines while playing multiplayer, a body can be on a bridge on one computer, on another the body has fallen over the edge. The physics is client side calculated. Then theres the times that you get a body hanging from an edge by its toe, hand, or head, when its physically not possible to do so.
Bodies are affected by explosions and shots, but you cant bump into them, you walk through them. Its also possible to have a body blown by a grenade to come at you, through you and be lying on the ground behind you and nothing.
And then theres the barrels with their mysterious force which traps you and pushes you out of the way.
And lo and betide you if you jump on the bench at T spawn in cs_compound, you get trapped in it and cant even jump your way out of it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.