Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        PC Gamer John Carmack interview...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: PC Gamer John Carmack interview...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-26-2006 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://esreality.com/?a=post&id=995299&page=1

"PCG: How much say do you have in what goes into an id game?

JC: Internally, Quake III was viewed as my game. It was a game I wanted to play. It was the id game that I probably spent the most time playing and enjoyed the most, but it was actually one of our less successful titles. The focused minimalism is appealing for me, but probably isn’t the best direction for a top-flight commercial game company.

So I don’t have much say any more. Post Quake III, I’ve stepped back a bit from the design side on the PC space because I’m really not representative of what most of our market is now. I did realize that my very simplified game-design ethic isn’t really what the market is demanding. I’m no longer in there vetoing things being added to the game design. That’s probably one of the reasons why [Doom 3] may have taken longer to ship, but was a richer game for it."

Who is the market he is talking about, does that market have competitors which are more successful/ingrained already, and will id ever match the success of Q1/2/3 if they abandon the admittadly niche market of the hardcore FPS player?

It has to be accepted by now that straight up DM, even in TDM/FFA modes is not as popular as other types of game modes. The UT series has seen this and while including the standards, have also moved on to keep the casual pub player interested with things like onslaught and such.

Has id completely missed the boat? Is Carmack stepping back from design really the death of hardcore gameplay with its simple weapon set and refined movement?

id needs to add to their basic offering, it needs to include a CA/RA mode, Instagib, it needs to attempt to reach the hardcores who still play Q1 with something like CPMA, because tbh I dont think they are going to beat UT07 on their own. Single Player drives sales, no doubt about it, will the Quake type MP die as a result? :shrug:

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 01-27-2006 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he's the jerk who killed the use key remember

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-27-2006 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UT's taking up the slack in this area.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-27-2006 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering about how to rate his latest achievement, the D3 engine. If it's designed solidly, then the Q4 game code is terribly ineffecient. Perhaps Carmack's latest engine wasn't coded very good though, resulting in something too demanding on hardware and too limited to fully adapt to online MP play. Time will tell.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-27-2006 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jester! wrote:
Will Quake type MP die as a result? :shrug:

No, and the perfect template for why it need not fail is already available with UT. Solid bot AI for all the noobs to cut their teeth on; a full featured GUI; a couple of solid game modes beyond DM/CTF that didn't suck; in general, an assload of content out of the box. Now, you take this template and hand it over to designers who have a more refined appreciation for player movement, level and weapons design, and fucking BINGO.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-09-2006 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The D3 engine isn't as amazing as he thinks it is. Mod teams ahve done and will continue to do much much better work, far quicker.

UE3 is the true next step in engine terms, its a true next gen title. I see D3 engine as a sort of stop gap between the two generations, it has some of the next gen features, some of the old, and none of its really done "right" due to lack of experience.

I would love to see what they come out with next, but remember, UE3 is the next big thing, and if it doesn't topple that, then in engine terms id have seriously dropped the ball for the final time.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I see D3 engine as a sort of stop gap between the two generations, it has some of the next gen features, some of the old, and none of its really done "right" due to lack of experience.

Are you trying to tell me John Carmack has no engine experience? :icon28:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium seems to forget that the Doom3 engine was built with GeForce 3 generation technology in mind. It's not next gen. You're comparing an engine that's been out for nearly 2 years with stuff you see now in videos of Crysis and Unreal Engine 3. Both stuff that's not released for at least another year or so.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-11-2006 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's o'dium...what do you expect?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-17-2006 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
o'dium seems to forget that the Doom3 engine was built with GeForce 3 generation technology in mind. It's not next gen. You're comparing an engine that's been out for nearly 2 years with stuff you see now in videos of Crysis and Unreal Engine 3. Both stuff that's not released for at least another year or so.

No, I was comparing it to tech of its time. Remember while everybody here was raving about spec this, bump that, shadows everywhere etc, Berserk and myself were already working on our own Per Pixel renderer... So where is the amazement?

I'm not saying that our engine is better, but come on, we were doing the same things at the same time, and were what, two guys? Doom 3 was nothing amazing. TBH if you ask me, Doom 3 should of waited another year. By then, they would of noticed all the silly errors that they were heading for.

Things like mirrored UV's, poor local amp and texture combination due to lack of height maps, bad piss poor physics that NEEDED weights, shadow troubles, all of which if they waited a little longer they would of seen and got around.

Its just, to me at least, not this amazing big huge leap in graphics like everybody seemed to think it was.

It was however the exact same thing i said. A stop gap. It WAS a next gen engine, however it lacked nearly everything you would expect from a next gen engine. So, it was a stop gap. Remember it was only a few months after Doom 3 that games were coming out better looking with better feature sets.

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 07-19-2006 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CheapAlert wrote:
he's the jerk who killed the use key remember

which was probably the best (and perhaps only) innovation in Doom 3. I was very impressed by the fancy computer screens you could control with the mouse.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-08-2006 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When Doom 3 came out there was nothing like it at all in terms of looks or engine. The fact that the alpha was leaked let many people in on it's secrets over a year before the game came out. For an engine from 2000-2001 it was fucking awesome. Carmack is untouchable, everone copied of him and still does.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.