Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Doom3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Doom3

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh, Doom 3 isn't a game that really has any "finer details of the story".

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we were talking about the intro, innit.
also, its not so much as using the same intro as it is the execution of it. doom3's was subpar in a lot of ways. granted, id didnt pretend to be creating the next step in storytelling. for that reason alone shouldnt it be treated as 'the bestest game!1'.

and obsidian, you are right. 50% of the FPSs out there use the same mechanic. prolly the reason why FPS games are so generic these days.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
tbh, Doom 3 isn't a game that really has any "finer details of the story".
So you didn't pay any attention to the storyline in Doom 3 because you were expecting Doom + Doom 2 with better graphics. OK then.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2008 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh no, I knew that the whole "alien invasion" type of thing doesn't allow for any deep story telling. I also know that Doom is not, primarily, about story telling.

Compare a game like Doom to a games like the Legacy of Kain series, Eternal Darkness or Second Sight and you'll see how Doom 3 has nothing on those games when it comes to storylines.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-07-2008 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

D3 isn't any of those games and id never claimed it to be anything like that as far as the story went. I was just saying you should appreciate it for what it did have to offer by paying a bit better attention.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-08-2008 03:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The funny thing is, it could be said that Half Life's story is a direct rip-off of the original Doom's:
Scientists play around with teleporter technology and something bad comes through and kills everybody.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-08-2008 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Doom 3, the main 'character' if you will is the enviroment (the base and environs). The story 'bits' via email, monitors and shit do a good job of deepening your immersion in the environment IMO...which to me is exactly what the id folks were aiming at. They didn't set out to create some unique grand narrative that propelled you breathless hither and yon (ala HL2). Thus I think worrying overmuch about the 'storyline' per se is sort of missing the point.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-10-2008 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I'm not worrying about the storyline at all. I think it was exactly right for the game and the mood they wanted to set.

It's just that nay0k's initial statement about "finer details of the story" (especially in that context) came across to me as a bit of an exaggeration as the entire Doom series isn't exactly known for it's deep storylines.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-11-2008 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, I wasn't even talking about any of the other Doom games. And I don't see how it was an exaggeration. If you picked up all of the PDA's, read the e-mails, listened to the audio logs, etcetera (which is what I was implying, that was not meant to say that you only cared about the killing or something) you would easily find all of the little pieces that tie the story together.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-13-2008 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
The funny thing is, it could be said that Half Life's story is a direct rip-off of the original Doom's:
Scientists play around with teleporter technology and something bad comes through and kills everybody.

Close. :)
Quote:
The game's plot was originally inspired by the video games Doom and Quake, both personal computer games produced by id Software, Stephen King's short story/novella The Mist, and an episode of The Outer Limits called "The Borderland."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life#Plot

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-14-2008 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember when HL came out, when I read the story I was like, wow what a rip-off of DOOM.

Of course I was sort of embarrassed that id when back and made their story VERY HL-like (even if they were just expanding on the details of their original story).

Seems like they would change it up for the third game to avoid the obvious comparisons, whether it was "their" story to begin with or not.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-12-2008 09:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, I'm behind on the times.

I saw Doom 3 Collectors Edition for the Xbox for 9 bucks. I happened to have a 20 on me so I picked that up plus Jet Set Radio Future for 3.99 USD

Played Doom 3 for the first time in the pitch dark with sound cranked up. I haven't been so immersed in a game in a long time. Plus, it scared the hell out of me.

There were some points where I just didnt want to go around the corner because I knew some ugly badass mofo was going to put me in a world of hurt if I did.

Well worth the money spent. I'm extremely glad I finally decided to give it a go and add this to my game collection.

(Plus, it has Doom and Doom 2 on it which is always a pretty bitchin plus :) )

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2008 12:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhuh, the game's not nearly as bad as most people want you to believe.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-13-2008 04:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 wasn't great, but oddly, I enjoyed the xbox version more than the PC, even though I run Doom 3 in Ultra at 1680x1050 with 4x AA...

Think its because you relax more in front of the TV.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-13-2008 04:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fail to see how visuals play as a factor to a game being enjoyable?

Did you enjoy Doom 1?
Did you enjoy Pong? Pacman?
How about Duke Nukem 3D or Quake 3?

And what the hell am I listening to? (There's No Money In Jazz by Mattias IA Eklundh just popped on Pandora :paranoid: :question: )

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-15-2008 04:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing at all, dont jump the gun then cunty. The point i was trying to make is comparing the EXACT same game on two different systems. There isn't much in it apart from visuals, in this case.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-15-2008 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should reconsider the way you word your sentences then instead of getting your panties in a bunch when I ask reasonable questions based on your last post.
Quote:
but oddly, I enjoyed the xbox version more than the PC, *even though* I run Doom 3 in Ultra at 1680x1050 with 4x AA...

You imply that the graphics would affect how enjoyable the game is.

Don't get so defensive and hostile there "cunty" -_-

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-20-2008 08:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's o'dium.
He only sees games in terms of visuals and can't understand when other people see things differently.
Don't sweat it.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-21-2008 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat, dont be a fucking cunt. I dont see games for the graphics, I see it for the whole package, so stop being a knob for the sake of being a knob.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2008 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except he's right and you're a cocktard who complains about graphics in every single game.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-22-2008 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I dont. While I may bring it up, I usually talk about the entire package. Show me one post from this year thats strictly been about graphics, other than the one above.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2008 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's not go there people. Stick to Doom3.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-14-2008 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

olo

Make sure the room is dark and the surround sound + sub are turned up :up:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-13-2008 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i played this through on the original xbox, awesome game with an exceptional conversion! :cool: how the hell they got that working on xbox was beyond me when it crippled all the pc's i tried it on at the time.

as for the story i thought it was fine as it was more an atmospheric type deal.

might have to pick this up on pc now i have one that runs it well.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-13-2008 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because it looked and sounded like shit on Xbox.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-14-2008 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

compared to how it ran on my original crappy pc it was fantastic ;) online coop was a blast as well.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-16-2008 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At first no co-op for Doom 3 on the PC pissed me off royally..

..but then I found out how crappily online play performed and it didn't matter :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-16-2008 11:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It wasn't so much the fact that it didn't have coop that pissed me off, it was id Software's response to the community outcries that pissed me off. They said it's not what people wanted. They really missed the nail there.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-18-2008 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, you look at the general feeling of the time, and it seemed that console players were getting all the decent co-op content. Halo had just rejuvanated inteerst in co-op big time, so it was a prime opportunity for someone like id to spoil the PC community with a well-developed co-op game.
Huge mistake.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-18-2008 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On a related note, the final version of Last Man Standing (LMS 4.0) is out. Check it out:

http://lms.d3files.com/

I've been an LMS fan ever since the 0.35 beta over 3 years ago. I'm really thankful for the work these guys poured into improving the multiplayer experience.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 07-18-2008 11:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I absolutely hated LMS for probably over a year. For me, the "pure SP experience" factor of Open Co-op was where it was at. But over time, as LMS improved and sort of 1-uped the Open Co-op mod, I became a believer.

Also worth noting is EMZ, the competition mod. It's OSP-ish (though not as feature complete as CPMA/OSP) and everything's configurable in the GUI. Speaking of the improvement of the online experience in D3, EMZ is practically required at this point for dm.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-12-2008 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh i loved doom3 on the xbox. some how it was more fun... i think it was the controller that did it.. its a funny game because you need the right setting to play it in.

the story was cool if you put in the effort. which is an odd way to implement a story driven game...

its been a while since i played a good id game... q4, doom3, quake wars etc has got me thinking that these guys just dont know how to make a good game anymore... heres hoping rage brings em back to the top where they belong. (i've always had a soft spot for mad max :) )

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 02-07-2009 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just found Doom3 in a $5 bin. Seems just like Quake 4. O_o

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 02-07-2009 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 4 uses the Doom 3 engine. Other than that, they're not really that much alike.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 02-07-2009 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well... I DO like the "PDA". And, it seems you have less warning when the monsters jump out at you. I like that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.