Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Doom3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-11-2006 05:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Far Cry sported a checkpoint save system, which worked pretty well for me to be honest. Many people bitched about it not having a quicksave though.

That's a pretty good example of where they got it backwards.

Consider that a rigid checkpoint system for saving is better suited to a linear game that walks from a to b in a preset line (half life, D3). On the other hand, games that allow for freedom in accomplishing goals need quicksave because you don't know where the player is going to come across various elements of a level (Thief, Far Cry).

Then again, Far Cry went all-out with an amazing free-roam game engine, then stapled a very linear experience over the top of it, which was a bit shame.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-11-2006 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW Mazda, I completed Doom 3 on Nightmare just for the record :P

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-11-2006 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I screwed around in Doom 3 open coop.
Christ it sucks assholes. The sound is buggy, the shooting is mediocre, and everything else is bogged down. The monsters take like 40 shots of every weapon to kill, and theres no teamplay aspect. Just run and gun, except with all the atmosphere the single player provided. I made a little fraps of it cause I was really bored this morning..

http://media.putfile.com/Doom-3-Co-op

edit: the little 10 year olds requesting god mode and unlimited ammo and continually sitting and typing "movemove gogo men" or "cover me!!1" gets annoying..

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-11-2006 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
BTW Mazda, I completed Doom 3 on Nightmare just for the record :P

:O!

:icon14:

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 07-19-2006 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my 2 cents about a save system: I like a system where you have a limited amount of saves, like in the Resident Evil games (typewriting ink ribbons :-) ). I think Soul Reaver 2 had a similar system too.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-19-2006 03:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
my 2 cents about a save system: I like a system where you have a limited amount of saves, like in the Resident Evil games (typewriting ink ribbons :-) ). I think Soul Reaver 2 had a similar system too.

SR2 had unlimited saves but only at certain locations.

The game with the worst save system ever is New Super Mario Bros. I use coins as save games instead of buying passage. Getting access to a mushroom house is the added bonus of saving the game. And I never save unless I quit playing, because otherwise I run out of coins :(

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I all around liked Doom 3... except the HUGE jock strap the last boss had on :icon23: :icon27: :puke: :dork: :puke: :icon28:
:icon28: :icon23:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-14-2007 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only thing I hated was the pda cabinet code thing.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-14-2007 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I loved every bit of it. Too bad it didn't have Spider Masterminds, Arachnotrons, and Pain Elementals though. And more fucking levels ffs :/

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-16-2007 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea, that always bugged me about D3...where are the arachnotrons?! I didn't like how they changed the Barons of Hell model so much (removing the horns, etc.)

I still need to play the exansion.

Last edited by StarShrieker on 08-18-2007 06:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 08-16-2007 09:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The character's movement in DooM³ was way too slow...it really turned off the fun factor for me...ffs even Gordon Fagman can strafe jummp faster than that homo marine in DooM³...not a really good game...and we all know what happened with the multiplayer aspect of the game :puke:

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 08-16-2007 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
:O!

lol...you gigantic noob...don't make me unleash Hell on your sorry ass in q3....if you ever grow a set of balls...scared?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-22-2007 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first time playing through Doom 3 I played in the middle of the night in the dark and the volume up. I couldn't very well play more than a couple of levels at a time before pausing to calm the hell down.

With surround sound, I would actually glance over my shoulder from time to time when I hear something moving behind me.

Story was thin and gameplay repetitive though.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-25-2007 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game WINS atmoshphere+art direction though. Like, huge, huge amounts. Other games are somewhat comparable at this point, but its style is still king of what it is. I think, anyway.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-25-2007 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmhmm, I can play it countless times and still be entertained. 5.1 surround and ultra quality ftw.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 09-23-2007 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fired it up last night. Haven't played enuff to get past the point i quit last time so it doesn't give me a scare atm.
But god how i just died inside the first time i experienced the toilet scene early in the game.
Seriously, that killed me. Downright scared me to death. I took a long pause after that. :D

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-07-2007 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gave up on the game 3 years ago. But after playing through some other recent single player FPS's, I decided to give it another go and try to enjoy it for what it was and not get caught up in what I originally thought it should be like (i.e., the gameplay of the original Doom with super duper gfx). And I fucking loved it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-07-2007 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
I gave up on the game 3 years ago. But after playing through some other recent single player FPS's, I decided to give it another go and try to enjoy it for what it was and not get caught up in what I originally thought it should be like (i.e., the gameplay of the original Doom with super duper gfx). And I fucking loved it.

good :)
Doom 3 isn't that bad as many people want others to believe it is.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-07-2007 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last edited by Captain on 10-08-2007 12:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2007 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got a hardon for Angelina Jolie eh?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-08-2007 01:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And Doom :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2007 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what a combination would that be! Hubba...

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 10-11-2007 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually dig the game's multiplayer, too. How can I try to explain this...

The game is limited in some ways that most people find "important" in online games. It barely has any maps, the maps are small. The gameplay is slower, down to the limited movement. But because of its balance of almost tiered weapons, and your resources (armor, mega) as limited as they are, it, for me, actually adds depth to the game.

The game is harder than many other games because once a player gets a lockdown on you, it's very difficult to come back, as the items they're controlling, especially the mega, put them on a higher level than you. I guess it's sort of a less-forgiving, more simple version of the Quake game. But yeah, definitely not for everyone. I mean, I wouldn't permanently replace Q3/CPM with it, but in its own way, it's actually pretty cool.

And let me reiterate -- the single player game is an incredible experience. Even now, over three years later, I love to sit down and play it every now and then.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 12-23-2007 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 made me jump a few times while playing though it, same with the expansion.

It did get repetitive at times though.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I have a different kind of a opinion than most of u guys do. I played it a lil bit, and I think its a masterpiece for that kind of game, but right now I'm just busy on Quake and hope to come back later.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2008 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heheh yeh. I think the opening scene, where everything goes wrong is still one of the best video game sections ever. I really got that "ohshitohshitohshit" feeling there :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-03-2008 01:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.. which was done a dozen times before, and an almost carbon copy of HalfLife's opening scene

brilliant !

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-03-2008 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
and an almost carbon copy of HalfLife's opening scene
Not really

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-03-2008 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, ummm what?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-04-2008 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
.. which was done a dozen times before, and an almost carbon copy of HalfLife's opening scene

brilliant !

It may not have been something that wasn't done before, I just think id Software really nailed it there in terms of atmosphere

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-04-2008 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Yeah, ummm what?

enter via transport. get orders to walk to room x. then walk to room y. do menial task in which you are isolated. shit happens. go back the same way, now shitinfested.

it left me with a severe meh feeling :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-05-2008 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe you shouldn't play single player games in general then. That sounds exactly like about 50% of all FPS games (the other 50% are just run and gun with no atmospheric buildup what-so-ever).

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 03:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, yeah. Besides, you should be looking at the finer details of the story, not comparing how you move around the map to another game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh, Doom 3 isn't a game that really has any "finer details of the story".

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2008 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we were talking about the intro, innit.
also, its not so much as using the same intro as it is the execution of it. doom3's was subpar in a lot of ways. granted, id didnt pretend to be creating the next step in storytelling. for that reason alone shouldnt it be treated as 'the bestest game!1'.

and obsidian, you are right. 50% of the FPSs out there use the same mechanic. prolly the reason why FPS games are so generic these days.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.