Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Quake II Evolved Per Pixel Lighting Test Video

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake II Evolved Per Pixel Lighting Test Video

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok guys, you wanted it, you have it.

This is, so far at least, what we have come up with. Berserk has been coding like a god this past month and he really has come up with the goods. This video is work in progress code, with work in progress media. In fact, the reason the media looks so bad is because i made it blind a while back, and that’s why the specular looks so wrong and the normals are inverted in places, lol. Also take note of the nice md2 models and their vertex compression, doesn't that like good!

Anyways, here it is. Ignore what I said and concentrate on the fact that Quake II Evolved now has a full Per Pixel renderer, and post all feedback here.

Thanks guys.

http://www.quake2evolved.com/files/q2e_wip.zip

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting; how does it run at higher resolutions?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, its just the same as Doom 3, it depends how many lights are in a scene etc etc.

ATM, it runs good but not amazing, and thats becaues no optimizations have even been started on. Berserk worked on getting the code in place, then we tweak it and optimize it.

Like i said, it all depends. A room with a lot of lights can bring any pc down to its knees's, but, thankfully, we are not using VQ2's lighting, but our own scriptable lighting system which lets US place lights where WE want them :D

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm that looks weird..it's not as good as doom3's lightning in my opinion and the graphics are really outdated. But then again for an amateur mod it's nice I guess..

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
hm that looks weird..it's not as good as doom3's lightning in my opinion and the graphics are really outdated. But then again for an amateur mod it's nice I guess..

You what? Its using standard textures with standard models, on a test map, thats why nothing looks ok. Per pixel lighting is per pixel lighting, it looks EXACTLY the same as Doom 3.

Textures are being remade. Models are being remade. Whats so hard to understand, troll?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ignore the floor because its using a bad texture, and the normals are still a bit inverted in Q2E atm, so angles can look a tad odd. Also, Zim, ignore the models because they are old VQ2 models :|

Remember there is only one light source here...

http://www.quake2evolved.com/blurforum/ ... ostid=8404

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 02:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty nice. Will you release it as wip in an upcoming q2e release? :D

Remember that scene in Doom 3 where the scientist is using a lantern to lead you to the next area? Can you recreate something along those lines in q2e? I'd love to see a small video showcasing it. So far what you showed looks allright but imo it didn't show a lot of transition between the dark/light, such as Doom 3 did in that scene. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.