Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        American McGee doesn't like PS3 and XBox360

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: American McGee doesn't like PS3 and XBox360

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2006 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

American McGee (remember him?) has had a right old pop at Sony and Microsoft, declaring that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are "just a video card and processor upgrade".

Speaking to CVG in an interview yet to be published, McGee ranted, "The only truly next-gen console out there is the Wii. Everything else is just a video card and processor upgrade."

He reckons Nintendo is going to "capture the hearts" of gamers while "Microsoft and Sony stab each other in the neck" over market-share.

McGee's latest anatomical insight comes as he prepares to release Bad Day LA, his PC and Xbox satirical action-adventure in which Los Angeles is struck by a series of natural disasters, later this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66711

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Speaking of which, grab yer Bad Day LA demo here

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 03:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awesomeness

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

website's a bit shit. d/l'ing the demo.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 04:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

username/password for fileshack from bugmenot.com BTW

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh. The intro was fantastic but the game itself plays really, really badly.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh god you're so right about that Foo. It's horrible. What a major disappointment. How can McGee, after working on excellent games like Doom, Quake, Quake 2 and even Alice work on a piece of shit like this?

Didn't even finish the demo. Played it up to the ambulance, then it started to get annoying.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Oh god you're so right about that Foo. It's horrible. What a major disappointment. How can McGee, after working on excellent games like Doom, Quake, Quake 2 and even Alice work on a piece of shit like this?

Didn't even finish the demo. Played it up to the ambulance, then it started to get annoying.

After the ambulance you're sent back along the same segment you've just come along (way to show off the game, repeat an entire section 2x) and the game ends shortly after.

The game sits somewhere between GTA and Simpsons Hit & Run with what it's trying to do. But therein lies part of the problem. It's sitting squarely in occupied territory, and since it's not breaking any moulds it has to do things in superior style to stand out, and it doesn't. The audio sounds like it was recorded in someone's office cubicle (probably was), the demo level was horrendously claustrophobic (random lines of cars and gas to constrain the player's area? Please... this is 2006). So maybe a wide array of items... nope, not even that. Character variety? There was only one kind of dog. Saw some nicely modelled bikes. Could I ride them ? Nah. Houses, maybe you can do in. Eh, no.

Oh and the swaying moronic NPCs remind me greatly of Zelda on the gamecube. Same no-lip-sync drunkard with subtitles thing going on.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 12:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh... sounds like AM was trying to cash in on his name and by sweeping the game under the rug

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 01:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just don't understand how an entire game studio can miss the fundamental need to do something unique and appealing in order to captivate the audience. Even id strove towards making the D3 engine games pretty. Failure or not they had the goal in mind it seems. Whereas this is just.... recycled, and very limited.

Linear is fine but it's gotta be deep within its structure. HL2s linear gameplay only worked because the AI/Graphics/Physics were deep and entertaining. This doesn't have that.

Let me make my own way around a city in this state and with these graphics? That would be awesome. Corall me into a ridiculously confined area? No thanks.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 01:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like it bugged as well. People attacked me while I didn't do anything to aggrevate them. The lack of configuration options also didn't do it any good. I have no high hopes for this game. Even if it was only ment as a preview of an unfinished product (I don't know if even that is the case) then it's still a rather poor preview.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Made for xbox, ported to PC that tells me :( Shame was looking forward to it.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 02:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't so bad, I'd buy it for $20..

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm spotting a declining trend with his stuff for sure.

This promised so much yet delivered so little, something that Scrapland can also be accused of (although at least Scrapland is utterly gorgeous to look at).

And what's the obsession with trying to clone GTA?
Scrapland was a GTA clone too :|

Such a shame, the idea and storyline had great potential. A cel-shaded zombie shooter with "added natural disasters™" could have been just what the doctor ordered.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-16-2006 03:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I'm spotting a declining trend with his stuff for sure.

This promised so much yet delivered so little, something that Scrapland can also be accused of (although at least Scrapland is utterly gorgeous to look at).

And what's the obsession with trying to clone GTA?
Scrapland was a GTA clone too :|

Such a shame, the idea and storyline had great potential. A cel-shaded zombie shooter with "added natural disasters™" could have been just what the doctor ordered.

it isn't really a gta clone, didn't feel that way anyways

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-17-2006 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hell, ima give it a try anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-18-2006 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go, and thou shall be disappointed.
But remember, returnest here and thy tears shall be heard.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa thanks Tener49!

^______^

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
go, and thou shall be disappointed.
But remember, returnest here and thy tears shall be heard.

Don't know what I was thinking. Echhkkk.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow that took you long :D

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
wow that took you long :D

Had to get one of these: Image

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.