Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        QuakeCon 2005

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: QuakeCon 2005

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Announced.

http://www.quakecon.org

They haven't announced tournaments yet, but at this rate, I'd guess that Quake III will make a comeback as the flagship tournament game. Not that DOOM 3 will be left out. But I do think we're going to see Quake III live into 2006.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 03-23-2005 06:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Announced.

http://www.quakecon.org

They haven't announced tournaments yet, but at this rate, I'd guess that Quake III will make a comeback as the flagship tournament game. Not that DOOM 3 will be left out. But I do think we're going to see Quake III live into 2006.

doesn't look like i'll be making it this year, my internship is running thru the summer leaving precious little time for paid work. I'd be surprised if Doom 3 wasn't highly featured and the expansion be either released around that time, or a main tourney in itself.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-23-2005 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I plan on going.

On DOOM 3: I think they'll have a DOOM 3 tournament, and perhaps that tourney will be the "main attraction" like it was marketed last year.

However, given DOOM 3's very limited popularity in the competitive community, I don't see them leaving Quake III out, given even its age. :)

That's good news to me. I like DOOM 3, and I definitely look forward to seeing how good the players are now... the last serious DOOM 3 match I watched was when the game was twelve days old. So that should be very cool.

Still though, seriously competitive Quake III isn't dead in America. Hopefully. :)

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 12:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The question is...will q3 ever die?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nevar!

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, yes and no. As a game, I don't see why it wouldn't last as long as DOOM or QuakeWorld. I mean, the game absolutely rocks.

Obviously, it has to go away as a pro (money) competitive game, and pretty much has, already, except for an online league here or there like the GGL or big tournaments like QuakeCon (of which there is only one Quake III tournament of that scope... QuakeCon :))

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On another note, I look forward to watching the demos from this game from the modern players of, say, 2008.

Those guys will play so much better than what we've seen yet. Should be amazing. :)

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 02:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

imho they should remake q3 with better graphics and we'd all be happy...they should keep the game physics and just release new textures and stuff instead of going back to Stroggs with the Doom III engine...the single player experience WILL be good but I wonder if the multiplayer aspect will be worth it...

They should do what epic does...release a new version every year with the same physics...can you imagine quake 2006? quake 2007?

don't blame me guys...I'm just that smart.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would possibly be best for the dm scene if they did that, instead of all these wanna bes like Painkiller are getting all the deathmatch attention.

id isn't nearly as focussed on mp these days though. They've already said their next game's dm is going to be similar to DOOM 3's. Unfortunately, they're id, and you pretty much have to take their word on it. :(

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-26-2005 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
imho they should remake q3 with better graphics and we'd all be happy...they should keep the game physics and just release new textures and stuff instead of going back to Stroggs with the Doom III engine...the single player experience WILL be good but I wonder if the multiplayer aspect will be worth it...

They should do what epic does...release a new version every year with the same physics...can you imagine quake 2006? quake 2007?

real men play picmip 16 :icon32:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, doesn't OSP or punkbuster have a limit to how much you can picmip? Like, 5 being the max?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 07:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OSP does up to 16, punkbuster does whatever the server admin decides on. :)

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 07:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Duhard wrote:

real men play picmip 16 :icon32:

I'm all picmip.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 07:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You also fuck sticks like me in prison... your point?

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 05:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow Q3 ISN'T featured at quakecon!
http://www.quakecon.org/
Quake 2 however is, hmmm

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhhh hmmm...

I'm sorry, but that's pretty gay. The women's competition is never very good. They play RA3, and they're all pretty average.

And they openly admit that DOOM 3 isn't meant to be a big competitive game, yet they're taking out Quake III 1v1 as a big event.

I'm all for them having Quake II, though. I wish zyz would quit PK and come back to Quake II. In my opinion, he's definitely the best Quake II player in the world.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Uhhh hmmm...

I'm sorry, but that's pretty gay. The women's competition is never very good. They play RA3, and they're all pretty average.

And they openly admit that DOOM 3 isn't meant to be a big competitive game, yet they're taking out Quake III 1v1 as a big event.

I'm all for them having Quake II, though. I wish zyz would quit PK and come back to Quake II. In my opinion, he's definitely the best Quake II player in the world.

zyz was a beast...

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow that really sucks... let's just hope some good faces show up for the Q2 games.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:

fucking great idea man. now for id to figure out the obvious :icon32:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is a good idea -- it would keep everyone happy. We'd have our id-style multiplayer competitive game, and companies like the CPL or whatever would be happy because the game is updated every year.

The problem is -- id is just not interested in multiplayer. And sadly, I think Quake III was the final straw for them.

They're sick of us raping the graphics, sick of us exploiting physics tricks that make the game look really silly, and maybe just sick of doing games that have barely any story or immersion factor.

Now, me, I'm all for those things. And if I were a developer, I wouldn't care if my graphics were nintendo-ized, and I would hope that people would exploit physics bugs -- it's a signature feature.

But in a nutshell, I think that's what's going on at id.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 01:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

id is small... there a 'personal' company, unlike digital extremes/epic/midway combo where they have a large group of guys churning out their ut games each year and they have a big marketing campaing behind them to boot.

id feels perfectly fine by staying private - so they don't have to make cash cow titles to please some corporate big wigs somewhere. If they say, 'we are making a new doom, or making a rpg based on future tech. etc.) generally they don't have to jump through hoops to get the project rolling. Overall I think id likes staying small and they like making titles that appeal to id and their fans.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I totally agree.

I just hope it's not another four years before we get another game designer specifically for competition from them.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 03:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't there talks that Microsoft or someone big wanted to purchase id a while ago, and they rejected the offer? :paranoid: If so, you can get an idea of how they feel about their 'little' company. ;)

However it's possible that their priorities might of have shifted a bit in recent times:

(Looking into the realms of console gaming more and more? :paranoid:)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/ ... ry.php(que)id=116956

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/601/601508 ... ?fromint=1

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.