Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Quake I on modern hardware

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake I on modern hardware

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-09-2007 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I decided to install Quake on my computer again for a little nostalgia, and was wondering if there has been any new mods or executables that have been updated to make Q1 running on modern hardware look a little better.

I'm not looking at gameplay changes, just quality improvements.

I see a few links in the sticky, but I'm not sure which ones are still active (a few dead links and others look like they haven't been maintained).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-09-2007 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the only 1 i can think of atm is http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

from what i remember it has nice visuals

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-09-2007 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check this thread. I believe eQuake is just as good at singleplayer as it is on multiplayer

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9175

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-09-2007 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FuhQuake is pretty nice as well.

leilei
leilei
PostPosted: 04-09-2007 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DARKPLACES DAMMIT. Looks (totally optionally) great, has proquake features, coder isn't a damn emo and also can connect to Quakeworld, so why not

Also, eQuake is warez.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-11-2007 04:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you use the textures and weapon models in the ezQuake thread with Dark Places?

I'd have to agree though, DP is a good mod to suit the atmosphere of Quake 1 imo

leilei
leilei
PostPosted: 04-11-2007 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why use ezQuake's when you can use better?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-12-2007 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Comprehend

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-14-2007 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quakeforge

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-20-2007 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WinQuake worked for me

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 07-21-2007 07:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doomshadow wrote:
WinQuake worked for me

Topic: Quake I on modern hardware

leilei
leilei
PostPosted: 07-21-2007 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cant spell u wrote:
Doomshadow wrote:
WinQuake worked for me

how does it not work?

unless your idea of 'modern' is this.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 07-24-2007 04:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

leilei wrote:
I cant spell u wrote:
Doomshadow wrote:
WinQuake worked for me

how does it not work?

unless your idea of 'modern' is this.

Modern as in updated graphics and effects.

also, where can I get your leilei skin?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-17-2007 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just started a topic about this in General Discussion and doubt that anyone is going to care less in there anyways...should have looked in here first but...

I just downloaded the Q1 Demo a couple days back, since the only time I played/beat the game was back when I had a Sega Saturn in whatever year that was. I wanted to mess around with it on my pc, so I installed it and it doesn't work.. I'm on a Hewlitt Packard 3500+ AMD Athlon/ Windows XP/ATI Radeon and blar blah, so I did a search, and a site told me to update the quake.exe to 1.08. So I did that and still nothin. If anyone knows if it's possible to run it or if it doesn't run on newer computers, I'd highly appreciate it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try googling glquake. You do know getting a 16 bit prog to run on a 32 bit os is next to impossible. In xp they use emulation which is not even guaranteed to work with a lot of 16 bit progs. thats why you use a 32 bit excuteable like glquake or winquake or some of the third party versions mentioned above.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.