Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        RtCW for Linux freezes up (sound-related)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: RtCW for Linux freezes up (sound-related)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-09-2007 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently decided to play through the RtCW single player campaign again (I never finished it). It was all smooth sailing... until I got to the catacombs. For some reason, it keeps freezing up whenever the flame sound from the flamethrower plays (usually after a few seconds). The audio loops continuously and I have to switch to another X display to kill the game. I haven't tested multiplayer, but I imagine that the same thing might happen there. I'm using id's latest 1.41 patch for rtcw.

I'm not sure where else to go with this problem, so here I am. I may well end up finishing the game with wine and the Windows exe, but I'd rather not.

Here are some details about my system. If anything else is needed, let me know:

Athlon X2 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2, GF 7950GT, Audigy2 ZS (onboard Intel HDA ALC888)
64-Bit Debian Linux unstable
Kernel 2.6.22-rc6-mm1
Sound Driver: ALSA v1.0.14 with OSS emulation

32-bit libs (Debian package versions):
libc6-i386 2.6.1-2
ia32-libs 2.1
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 2.95.4-27

Last edited by Caffeine on 09-10-2007 10:16 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 09-10-2007 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what version of RtCW?
Blind suggestions: Try onboard sound, or replace the flamethrower sound with a blank sound.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-10-2007 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fury wrote:
what version of RtCW?

Latest patch: 1.41. I'll add that and some other details to my initial post.

Quote:
Blind suggestions: Try onboard sound

I doubt that it's the sound driver's fault (it's open source, and Creative hasn't touched it :D), but that did produce a different result: When I try to load a saved game, it crashes after loading the map. Here's what gdb shows:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xf7dbf0f0 in memset () from /lib32/libc.so.6

Quote:
or replace the flamethrower sound with a blank sound.

I doubt that will fix the problem. This doesn't happen with any other game, even 32-bit idQ3 1.32c.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-11-2007 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
Here's what gdb shows:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xf7dbf0f0 in memset () from /lib32/libc.so.6

So the game tries to write to memory it doesn't have access to. That, or the pointer to it is invalid. I'm afraid you may very well be out of luck.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-11-2007 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
So the game tries to write to memory it doesn't have access to. That, or the pointer to it is invalid.

Hmm, that may be what is happening when I use the soundcard too (ltrace shows it looping on memset([0xff8012fc|0xff80150c], '\000', 284) after freezing up).

Quote:
I'm afraid you may very well be out of luck.

Perhaps. I'll try some different (older) versions of the C and C++ libs.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.