identity  0%  [ 0 ]
ides  10%  [ 1 ]
idiot  20%  [ 2 ]
idle  10%  [ 1 ]
idol, idolum  10%  [ 1 ]
I would...  10%  [ 1 ]
I doom!  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What does "id" stand for?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-11-2008 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i used to think it was I.D. like identification and hadn't really thought what it stood for, later i read somewhere it was just pronounced "id" like Sigmond Frued's id, ego and super-ego. so it actually came from Ideas from the Deep? would have never guessed.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-11-2008 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's the info from wikipedia:

Quote:
The name of the company is currently written with a lowercase id, which is pronounced as in "did" or "kid", and is presented by the company as a reference to the id, a psychological concept introduced by Sigmund Freud. Evidence of the reference can be found as early as Wolfenstein 3D with the statement "that's Id, as in the id, ego, and superego in the psyche" appearing in the game's documentation. Even today, id's History page makes a direct reference to Freud.

However, when working at Softdisk, the team that later founded id Software took the name "Ideas from the Deep" (a company created by John Romero and Lane Roathe in 1989), attributing themselves as the "IFD guys". Since "id" can be seen as a shortening of IFD to "ID", some have been led to believe that it can be pronounced "eye-dee". The I was later made lowercase in the release of the second Commander Keen series, eventually followed by the D. Since Wolfenstein 3D used the "id" pronunciation together with the mixed-case "iD", it can be argued that the capitalization is purely a stylistic choice.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-02-2008 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hi alien. i find this thread useful and informative. thanks.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-01-2011 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They named it id so people could start a topic about the name...

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 11-01-2011 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You called, my son?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for blessing me with this amazing thread.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.