Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 14

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 12-10-2007 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DOOM turns 14 today, December 10.

I still remember the very first time I played the shareware. I remember thinking, wow, there are stairs there. How do you go up them? What, you just walk forward?

...I remember being amazed that you could fall off things. haha

Man, that game had such an impact on me.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2007 12:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow. How far have we come in 14 years.

DOOM didn't really have a huge impact on me. I kind of skipped it. I do remember I played a bit of Doom and thought it was cool, but I did play Quake II seriously before playing Doom and Quake I seriously. Yeah that's right. After Q2 I did go back to Doom and Q1 ofcourse :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-12-2007 06:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the thing that amazed me was at the end of E1M2. you can look out the window and see the staircase corridor you just came out of. and shoot it.

ofcourse it was just a vector against the outer vector of the outdoorsarea, and not the actual outer wall of said corridor, but i didnt know that at the time.

funny how we take shit like that for granted now and need much more to amaze us lest we call it "just another shooter".

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-12-2007 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played Heretic religiously when I was a kid. Then I got obsessed with Doom 2 and the rest is history. I remember how astonished I was playing through the 25th mission, thinking "wow this game is super big, it never ends!" \o/

HBD Doom :up:

PS. Heretic had awesome particle effects. The look up/down function was excellent too.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2007 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

funny how we take shit like that for granted now and need much more to amaze us lest we call it "just another shooter".

Yeah that's true. I'm pretty sure that today's kids will never have that same experience as "we" had when first playing Wolfenstein or Doom.
I remember back when Unreal was new. It had these huge canions and towers. The Sunspire level was amazing. Today we see Crysis and say "yeah that's cool but it's a lot like Far Cry".

And these days, we know how things work. From polygons to shaders and from particles to dynamic lighting, it's all stuff we more or less understand. Back when I played Wolfenstein, how it worked was all a big mystery. It was like magic.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-13-2007 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It was like magic.

It still is. On a programming level, it was amazing how they squeezed every bit of performance out of the hardware available at the time. These days, you can afford to be sloppy. I'm still amazed at what they accomplished well before their time, and as a result revolutionized the industry.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-17-2007 12:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Eraser wrote:
It was like magic.

It still is. On a programming level, it was amazing how they squeezed every bit of performance out of the hardware available at the time. These days, you can afford to be sloppy. I'm still amazed at what they accomplished well before their time, and as a result revolutionized the industry.

Well, it's impressive yes, but these days I can bend my head around how polygons and shaders work, what memory management is and sort of how things work. Before I had no idea, I simply could not bend my head around how the whole thing came alive. Now I do.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 12-17-2007 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Before I had no idea, I simply could not bend my head around how the whole thing came alive.

Wouldn't the same apply to kids today?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-17-2007 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but these days kids take it all for granted.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-17-2007 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Yeah but these days kids take it all for granted.

Bingo.
They don't think about it anymore, they just get it from mummy and daddy wrapped in shiny foil.
Besides, children these days don't run into 640kb memory management problems anymore. Ahhh himem, those were the days!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-17-2007 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

20MHz IBM with 2MB RAM :drool:

"OMG THESE GRAFIX R SUX!!!11"

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-20-2007 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 2 was the first game every to make me scream and throw my keyboard up in fright.

GG :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-21-2007 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats just because you're a fucking pussy

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 12-21-2007 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn..14 years old! I got married right before I bought Doom..that should have reminded me. I remember jumping out of my chair at moments, out of some imp or Demon surprising the hell out of me. It is amazing that when looking at the graphics these days of Doom vs. other games now, that Doom could be such a scary game then. The world was a much simpler place at that time when it came to gaming. The game was more a part of your imagination, than the real looking graphics that people need to see now to play a game to get some sort of fright.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 12-21-2007 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, for me, the original games weren't scary. For me, it was all about the action of the game and the the look of the game. Moving around an environment like that, watching the pixels change as you moved, and the art direction.

I have to admit though, I played the PlayStation version a few years later, and it was actually pretty intense. Since it replaces Bobby Prince's often silly MIDI soundtrack with creepy ambient music, it totally changes the atmosphere of the game.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-27-2007 08:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

truth. no id game ever scared me. the ring of the shotgun blast gave me a warm and secure feeling :]

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 12-27-2007 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now, DOOM 3 on the other hand, did have a couple of moments that had me legitimately freaked out, as far as games go.

It has been over three years since this happened, so I don't remember where in the game this actually happens. I can't remember if it is before or after Hell, but, there is some level that is completely empty of enemies, but the atmosphere is ridiculously tense. The lighting everywhere is dark and red, and you just get the sense that something's going to happen just around the corner, but it never does.

It's only that effective the first time you see it though. The second time I played through the game, I knew nothing was going to happen, so it wasn't a big deal, but that first time was incredibly tense. They did an amazing job on me.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 12-27-2007 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ACTUALLY QUAKE III WAS REALLY FUCKING SCARY TO ME FOR SOME REASON

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-27-2007 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get scared every time I hear my opponent take the red armor. :paranoid:

The level you're talking about is the one just before Hell btw.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2008 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got the creeps from Wolfenstein 3D. Really.
Doom 3 was kinda scary in bits as well. Now Quake 2, I remember playing through that with my bro'. Hearing the Berserker's metallic screech as it sharpened it's spike arm or the tapping of the feet of those doglike Parasites when you couldn't see thme. That really got on my nerves.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nay0k wrote:
I get scared every time I hear my opponent take the red armor. :paranoid:

Nah, RAIL is the thing that ppl need dipers for.

I would recommend u guys not talk about doom, just try it once again or enter one of the servers. Not playing it, but doing so is just rly that better than just talking about it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 11:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

w0rt3x wrote:
I would recommend u guys not talk about doom, just try it once again or enter one of the servers. Not playing it, but doing so is just rly that better than just talking about it.

Heh, don't worry. A few of these people here not only talk the talk but they still walk the walk.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-28-2008 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
It has been over three years since this happened, so I don't remember where in the game this actually happens. I can't remember if it is before or after Hell, but, there is some level that is completely empty of enemies, but the atmosphere is ridiculously tense. The lighting everywhere is dark and red, and you just get the sense that something's going to happen just around the corner, but it never does.

It's only that effective the first time you see it though. The second time I played through the game, I knew nothing was going to happen, so it wasn't a big deal, but that first time was incredibly tense. They did an amazing job on me.

I played through DOOM 3 a couple of days ago all the way through. The moment I'm talking about here is Delta Labs Section 1, which is the first full level after you reach Delta. It's like three levels before Hell. Now that I know nothing at all is going to happen and I've beaten the game a few times, it's not really scary at all, but the first time you see it's just full of dreadful anxiety! Really, really cool.

And yeah I say this in every post I make about that game, but man, really the art direction is unmatched. There are different styles that are also extremely well executed, like HL2's for instance, but this game's art direction continues to be my favorite. I guess it's because I grew up on Alien(s) and Blade Runner.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-29-2008 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought the delta station was a johnny come lately.
seriously, you see shadows of creatures you know you can kill with 2 shotgun blasts - youve done it in all the maps before.

if the delta station was before all the shit went down it would have a point.
missed chance that

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-29-2008 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

........"geoffs"

you can't even mention Ridley Scott's film about a single predator wiping out this ship because of faggot Geoff.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.