Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        So what do people use for q2 these days?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So what do people use for q2 these days?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-03-2008 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to play through Q2 and/or its expasions and I want a modern client to do it. The last time I tried q2evolved, I seem to recall it being really buggy, but maybe I'm just thinking mp. Anyway, I'm looking for a modern client with some cool features, that's stable.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-03-2008 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played through Q2 with Q2Evolved before; it ran fine. The directional gibbing was good; although it took ages to change the blood to the right colour. I don't have the edited blood pk2s any more, cause I lost them when my old PC broke.

I lost a HUD I made for it aswell, that was based on a combination of the Q3 and Generations Arena (Strogg) HUDs, and the Q2E HUD, complete with logical colour changes (to the weapon switch). I didn't release it cause I didn't expect Tabun (he did the GA HUDs) and O'dium (he did the Q2E HUD) to allow it.
I should have just released it and given credit in the readme. Maybe "no use without permission" was written somewhere in GA and Q2E that put me off, I can't remember.

I would have released the blood fix aswell but the general attitude of the Q2E community put me off that.

I don't know where my Q2 CD is now but I don't really want to play Q2 any more.

If you use Q2E it is worth fixing the colour of the blood cause the directional gibbing is good. (Just wait until you get a rocket launcher and get the soldiers.)
The directional gibbing doesn't work in multiplayer, cause it would need a server-side mod. That's what they said, anyway; I would have thought it would work if the server ran Q2E but they made the thing and maybe that's not an option (that could have changed since I read that, though.)

The multiplayer of Q2 interests me a bit still, so when I get a new mouse (this one is pretty worn out) I might try it again. (There don't seem to be any mice that I'd like, the Razer Death Adder is the nearest to what I want that I've seen; the trouble with that one is I think it lights up all over the place which is distracting and also I think the logo on the top might be a light-window so it could be a bit uncomfortable. I think someone said that it's flush, though. I'd have to try it to be sure, though, and I don't know any walk-in shops that sell Razer mice.)

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-03-2008 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK I guess I will look at q2w again.

Death Adder is really configurable -- you can turn off the lights if they bother you.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-04-2008 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Death Adder is really configurable -- you can turn off the lights if they bother you.

Neat.

What I didn't mention about the blood in Q2E is the exact problem with it is it's dark. You can just increase the gamma of the blood image files in an image editor and it will look fine; the trouble is knowing how much to up the gamma - it takes ages cause you have to pack them up in a pk2, load up Q2E to test it over and over till you get it right.

Edit: Also, for the pk2 you might have to replace the original pk2 that has the blood images in it with an edited one; that's what I had to do to get it working cause Q2E wouldn't load additional pk2s, to replace files already loaded in the default ones, for some reason.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 02-09-2008 11:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know visual updates existed for Q2.

I've only seen them for Quake.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.