Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Quake is 15.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake is 15.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/06/2 ... niversary/

Interesting video. It's even somewhat lolsy because of how new talking about the internet seems to some of these people. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, nice to have a peek back into those days. I wasn't as much into gaming back in '96 as I have been since I played Quake 2 in '97, so I pretty much missed out on all the Quake and QuakeWorld stuff when it was new.

How much of that stuff Carmack talked about putting in QuakeWorld actually made it in there?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-13-2012 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic but I felt like commenting on what Mogul said about the internet. Before Quake came out, we played Doom on a BBS with 4 players, sometimes 8 if the BBS had that many modems connected, and the internet wasn't available back then. I just heard about it in the Chicago area before Quake was released. I don't know long it was available for before then but we only played on a BBS before then. The owner of the main BBS I played on in Joliet showed me that we can edit levels for Doom and that's how I got started in level creation. When Quake came out, it was a big thing because in Doom, you couldn't have a room above another room. They were called sectors if I remember correctly. Quake changed all that and it was fun modding it. Then Zoid made Capture the Flag and it was even better, for me anyways.

@Mogul, This has probably been asked before but I just joined so I don't know. How is it that you joined in 1973?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-13-2012 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a custom edited join date. Some people have them for lulz.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-13-2012 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, ok. Thanks obsidian. I was just wondering.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-09-2012 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My original join date was in November of 2003, if I recall. At some point around 2005 or 2006, the site went down for reasons I can't remember, and when it came back up, most or all of us had to re-register our forum accounts.

I remember asking if I could either get my post count merged with my old account's post count, or have my register date changed to my original account's register date.

I don't recall the specifics of merging posts/accounts/etc, but one thing that happened that I didn't ask for was having my register date set back in the 70s.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-09-2012 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That makes it even more lulzy.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-13-2012 11:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:

That "short note" from Carmack really took me back. It was such a privilege to have been active in the gaming scene in those days - technology, culture, and "the industry" were at such a unique convergence of stages.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed *happy tear*

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-27-2012 06:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ha! It was awesomeness being at the forefront of the networking age

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-22-2012 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: at 0:49, joystick :olo:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, reminds me of this guy I heard about that plays DOOM with a steering wheel. :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.