Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Doom 4

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Doom 4

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2011 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it has been announced and all the rest of it but nothing has been released. No screens, no info no nothing.

I think I would like to see id just go all out crazy and revert back to a map by map game rather than a large environment based affair. Bring back running after keys around the level to unlock the door that you start by the side of to exit the map. I think incorporating this into a modern engine would be brilliant. It needs to be over the top and have no real story, like the originals. Not too much in the way of voice acting and set pieces either.

It might be a complete failure…but I’d buy it in a heartbeat :D

So what would you like to see?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2011 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only early work is being put into it, they're still hard at work finalizing Rage and it will be some time before we see actual screenshots or more detailed info.

Nostalgia says that running for keys and doors sounds like fun, but I think that that wouldn't be enough these days. After all, monster closets were a big part of the original Doom, but they were heavily complained about on Doom 3.

Fast pace action with big guns and lots of enemies like the original would be good though. You have to be able to run much faster than what seems humanly possible. I would like to see some advanced over-the-top gibbing physics. Not since Doom and Doom II have I seen that that level of gore in a game and there is something satisfying in seeing a Hell Knight's guts spill out or a Cacodemon's eyeball pop out or an imps ribcage get split open by a rocket or a zombie be reduced to meatloaf.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah ok I will give you the whole monster cupboard thing, but Doom 3 was a very “tight” gaming experience where as the originals were a lot larger in scale (room wise). I think that if the maps were designed for the monster cupboards to be more plausible they would still work (though the teleporters could work…).

How about they use a recently found and excavated giant underground “pyramid to hell” as the setting. The pyramid sits underneath the military base that you have been stationed on. The further you get into the game the larger the levels get meaning more challenging navigation which takes care of that issue. Then because you are that little bit closer to hell, the harder and more varied the enemies become…this solves the issue of having an outside world that needs to connect and gives you the option of creating levels closer in size and design to the original Doom. The whole issue of design would be taken care of because with a map being a set size you don’t have to worry about the world that it connects to, as it doesn’t connect to “anything” per say. You don’t have to worry about space and all the rest of that because you are underground. And because you are underground you can still get the water etc from the original levels.

In fact I think I have just cracked it…id…sign me up!!! :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Todd H. dropped hints a while ago that Doom 4 would take place on Earth:

Quote:
Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth

Doom II was Hell on Earth, but didn't look anything like Earth. Games back then really didn't have to worry about making anything look even plausible. I remember playing through Star Wars Dark Forces and you are fighting your way through an Imperial ship and getting from point A to point B from any part of the ship was the most impractical task ever. For a storm trooper to get from the mess hall to the bathroom he probably had to take a bunch of switching stairs, a killer set of lifts and hop between ledges of a bottomless pit, only to find that the bathroom needs a red key that's all the way back in engineering.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Doom II was Hell on Earth, but didn't look anything like Earth. Games back then really didn't have to worry about making anything look even plausible. I remember playing through Star Wars Dark Forces and you are fighting your way through an Imperial ship and getting from point A to point B from any part of the ship was the most impractical task ever. For a storm trooper to get from the mess hall to the bathroom he probably had to take a bunch of switching stairs, a killer set of lifts and hop between ledges of a bottomless pit, only to find that the bathroom needs a red key that's all the way back in engineering.

:olo:
Love the comparison there :D

Even in games that mimiced realistic settings pretty decently, such as Half-Life, had an extrodinary amount of coincidental airducts or vents running from room A to room B, between which the ordinary door is locked :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-18-2011 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm interested in playing a new Doom game where there isn't pitch black in most places, that put me off Doom3. I know it was a limitation of the engine; so it's something that's likely to go out of the window with the new Doom game :)

I'd like there to be lots of action in it and for it to not be too story driven, I can't stand that on-rails interactive cut-scene stuff. Cut-scenes take away from the gameplay. Nowadays games focus too much on story at the great expense of player freedom. Basically I want it to be a lot like the original Doom games but with more interesting maps :) There's a lot that can be done with maps with todays technology that couldn't be done in the original Doom. I'd like them to focus on that rather than cutscenes; making it a map driven game rather than a story driven game. It's you against the map and monsters. Rather than you against a story.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2011 10:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
I'm interested in playing a new Doom game where there isn't pitch black in most places, that put me off Doom3. I know it was a limitation of the engine; so it's something that's likely to go out of the window with the new Doom game :)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't, actually.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was very much a design decision, indeed.
a bad one imo

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original Doom games were pretty dark in places too. There were some pitch black corridors with flickering lights. There was also a dark ambient lighting trick where distance objects were rendered darker, kind of like running through thin black fog.

The darkness did add a fear factor to Doom 3, not knowing what was lurking down the hall was actually terrifying. I thought it half-worked as a mechanic of the game, adding fear and suspense, but unfortunately slowed down the gameplay significantly. As a Doom game which is based on the premise of speeding through levels killing hordes, Doom 3 didn't feel like Doom, it felt more like F.E.A.R. or some other game. Enjoyable to play, but not a true Doom game and I think that's the real reason for the complaints. Not so much that it's dark itself, but the darkness and tight corridors slowed down the gameplay.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JmUkP8sdfc

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MrLego wrote:

WTF is it with Youtube and retarded flash overlays?!
At least you can turn them off, but daaaamn...!

Only with the flash overlays turned off is it funny. It's very funny. Not so funny as it would have been the first time, though.

Edit: This link is a not so bad version regarding overlays. Still pretty bad, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsKKWf4wJHA&NR=1 "copyright" it says "copyright" again, yeah yeah...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you gonna do? Cry about it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
What you gonna do? Cry about it?

Noo... Always turn the captions off from now on.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 10-05-2011 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that Rage has shipped, we will probably be hearing more about D4 in the coming months. The entire Rage team should have moved over to D4, according to various Rage-based interviews.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What about DLC for Rage though? Surely they will keep people on to help with that? I guess it depends on sales figures though, right?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know what id Software's perspective is on the amount of success of Rage. I don't think there will be a large amount of people that will pay for Rage DLC, so in that respect I don't think id Software would bother with it. But if id Software sees Rage as a succesful product, then there may be DLC.

What I do know, however, is that Tim Willits and others have talked about DLC quite a bit before, so they may have already been working on some DLC during the development of Rage, in which case they'll probably wrap that up and release it anyway.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably true sir. Let's hope they employ me to help with the creative side of Doom 4 and we will be laughing then. We will get a game we love and want to play *hint :id: hint*:D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom4 could be DLC for Rage? No, that wouldn't make Doom4 thorough enougjh.
Will Doom4 use the Rage engine, though? (I forgot which idTech number it is. idTech5?)

I hope it doesn't have vehicles in it, like Rage does, cause that put me off Rage (mouse & keyboard and vehicles do not mix!)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mouse and keyboard are sufficient for Rage. It's not like it's a hyper realistic racing simulation.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But it has races in it! I don't want to lose cause of the control system! Also there's lots of driving around in it I read.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's about as accurate a driving simulator as Halo's Warthog. Unless you're missing fingers or half a brain... oh.. wait...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't played Halo...

I really like Gran Turismo, so a game where you have to drive around loads with no realism and a rubbish control system would just bore me I think.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the fact that you're comparing apples with oranges makes this whole discussion moot. Seriously, are you trying to fill Peenyuh's position here on Q3W? Moving on...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL... Apparently, the answer would be yes.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-26-2011 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is always one.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-16-2011 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Neo come save us

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.