Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Has anyone here modified Doom 3?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Has anyone here modified Doom 3?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-02-2015 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

So who has, and what did you try and do, a final release?

I've been doing some preliminary research into this last month or the month before. I have a copy I bought on Amazon UK for £2.04.

I am registered on the ID forums, what I do know is, that doom 3 has its own editor, but some kind of GTK editor is also available for it. So not that different from Elite force, was informed on there that there is no Binary Source Partition.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-02-2015 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the doom 3 engine hasn't been very popular with indie devs ...

I have 2 persons in mind :
*Motorsep : making "Phaeton" (previously named Steel storm 2, sequel to his top down shooter he made with the Darkplaces engine). Not a lot of recent news on the project, but making such a big game alone is tough. And he tried to do features like large open terrains and vehicle physics !
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorsep

*Brendon Chung aka Blendo games : Making Quadrilateral Cowboy. Sounds very cool, can't wait to play it ! https://twitter.com/BlendoGames
Quadrilateral cowboy teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fqvEG5E0jk

I think the Doom 3 engine has a great potential, but you have to think about it's stencil shadows when you're defining the art style of your game.
The engine is also very "complete" (it has dozens of fancy features : ragdoll posing, complex animation of brush based geometry, particle editor, in game interactive 2D screens...) and it might be complicated to focus on the basic stuff ...

Let us know if you're trying something !

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-02-2015 07:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check here: http://mxl.cz/idtech4/samota.html

It's DOOM 3 modification by czech mapper and developer Maxell.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, oh I didn't mean modify as in create actual new content.

I had in mind using the existing content to change a touch to a more personal preference of particular areas of the Doom 3 Mars City levels.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 07:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apologies. I was thinking you mean a modification as a side-project installed besides original game to keep original game intact (like Q3 mods do)... Anyway, it should be possible to do stuff for D3 with nowadays editors and compilers... Also D3 has its own map editor built in the engine itself.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-04-2015 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I was informed on that, What would be better to use an built editor or a GTK, notsure what version of it would need.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-05-2015 07:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was testing custom stuff for Quake 4, but I never really started mapping or modelling for id Tech 4 games, I just made some testing stuff which I never gave to release. If you want to make stuff for some new games from id Software, give Rage a try :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried some editing for Doom 3, the Monorail map, I wanted to add a character daemon to the tram on that level, but it failed.

I don't know why it didn't work, I made sure to change the keynames of various pieces in the map linked to it.

It was disappointing.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.