Quake3World.com Forums
     Announcements
        Quake Zero is now "Quake Live". Pics and stuff inside

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Zero is now "Quake Live". Pics and stuff inside

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, this looks damn interesting. The pro-mode style skins look sweet too :p

http://kotaku.com/357987/iga-and-id-tea ... quake-live

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so this is the webbased quake or the xbla quake3?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks exactly like Quake 3. I was expecting something a little more than that, but maybe those are just some early conceptuals.

I wonder how custom maps and mods are going to work.

@MKJ: Web-based Q3.

Last edited by obsidian on 02-19-2008 07:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
so this is the webbased quake or the xbla quake3?

Nah this is the web based Quake 3. No download, free to play.

As for the engine, yeah its old now, but it means it will run smooth. From what I can tell the only changes are they made where new skins and bloom, but heres hoping for a smoother UI at least.

Cant think how this will run though, some Flash games for me still chug, and... well... this is Quake 3...?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its supposed to be a free online q3 game, so yea it looks exactly like q3.
customs prolly dont work at all, since the client streams all data from the fixed servers. :paranoid:

also, before anyone gets his/her panties in a knot about ingame advertising; ive been playing GRAW2 for a while now and I noticed it has ingame adverts only 2 weeks ago - this was because a billboard said something about the movie 'no country for old men'. i.e, its so blended in the enviroment that you hardly notice it. pwnt?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont see how it would be a problem like some people say. It would be like fragging on Q3DM17 and instead of having "QUAKE 3" on that billboard under the bridge it would say "McDonalds" or something, with some logos on the score board... Its hardly game breaking?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ETQW was supposed to have in-game ads as well. I've been playing and I haven't seen an ad in months. Just the generic "Join the GDF" placeholders. :shrug:

I don't see any bloom.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game will fail without custom content. I'm sure they'll make it possible.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that looks really good.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks nice. boner?...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is one rock i'd like to paint! :drool:

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You launch it from a web page as far as I know. Don't think you actually play it in a browser.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow that is impressive, just a few years ago this shit was cutting edge :owned:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't wait, free Q3 baby, hells yea.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
You launch it from a web page as far as I know. Don't think you actually play it in a browser.

:up:

Carmack was saying all the brawser is used for is logging in, and launching/downloading it.

Beond that, its played locally like Quake 3 itsself.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:

you just bought a $150 camera but you can't afford a $10 game?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:

or you download the standalone padmod and get, um, free Q3, more or less

also, if you're posting on quake3world and don't actually own a copy of the game that's a bit weird

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

point here is the ease of use and accessibility this will provide, which will hopefully revitalize the numbers of online players again...it's about time a good classic makes a comeback, it definitely deserves it.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's really impressive.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, you got a good point, I do own Q3, I'm just glad that iD decided to make a free version that can be played anywhere, hopefully. Although, I don't have Q3 installed here, the disks are at home.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:
The game will fail without custom content. I'm sure they'll make it possible.

I don't reckon so. Loading Q3 in it's later stage of life the majority of servers were running all kinds of custom shit and different versions of custom shit, it was a nightmare to simply find a busy server and jump in for a quick blast. Loaded Q3 recently and all the servers with a decent ping had that Excessive crap on. This will have all players on the exact same thing, greatly increasing the numbers in one concentrated community. I hope, I'll be all over this if it's pulled off well.
Also from reading/listening to various sources it's being pushed towards the "competitive players" section of the community, which traditionally isn't overly hot on custom content in the same way the wider community is.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Announcements

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.