Quake3World.com Forums
     Announcements
        Doom 4 First Info

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Doom 4 First Info

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-02-2008 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Carmack says that Doom 4 will be "significantly different" than Doom 3 and probably more of a throwback to the earlier Doom series of fast paced action gunning and lots of gore. It will also have an M-rating so it will be guaranteed bloody. It will be a 30Hz game unlike Rage's 60Hz, which effectively means up to 3x the graphics fidelity of Rage! It also promises better multiplayer gameplay than Doom 3. Sounds promising!

Link:
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=956

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-02-2008 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds fucking awesome. Now please make it based on Hell On Earth :drool:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-03-2008 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

30Hz = 30fps no? won't that be a tadge laggy?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-03-2008 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Carmack meant that as some sort of benchmark... meaning the target hardware frames should be at 30Hz, though you could certainly go higher if your specs are good. It may also have to do with the physics ticks, which at 30Hz will be on par with ETQW. In general, Carmack has sided towards faster performance than raw eye candy.

I posted an article before...

Todd Hollenshead wrote:
DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth

*cough*Earth*cough*

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-03-2008 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As long as they aren't trying anything new, it's just going to end up boring and repetitive like all their other recent games.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-03-2008 01:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what Rage is for.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-03-2008 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems kind of backwards, like Doom should be the game with 60fps if it's going back to its roots.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-04-2008 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didnt doom run on 30?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-04-2008 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The people commenting on that site are retarded. Doom 3 was capped at 60fps.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-04-2008 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The tick rate has something to do with how much is going on onscreen. Doom4 is going to be way busier and bloodier than rage.
Disclaimer: if I read one of those interviews correctly.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-05-2008 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From wiki:
"In Issue 184 of Game Informer, Doom 4 was speculated to be due for release alongside Rage, late in the third quarter of 2009."

They just started production in may, correct? How likely then will it be to go from cold to gold in just over a year? Shouldn't it be more like 4 years away judging by how long these games take?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-06-2008 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, because the Tech 5 engine is ready to go. A year is enough IMO, but I doubt they'll be able to stay true to a release date now.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-06-2008 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
No, because the Tech 5 engine is ready to go. A year is enough IMO, but I doubt they'll be able to stay true to a release date now.

Ah right. Yeah, I realise the engine is ready, but even so, I thought that putting together all the levels, doing all the animations, cut scenes and god knows what else still took a very long time but I'll take your word on it and hope they do get it done sometime next year or early 2010.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-06-2008 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rage could be out in late 2009. I doubt if Doom 4 will. They will be working on it separately with different teams.

If there's going to be some kind of Quake Arena sequel that's been pushed back. Carmack said that it would be hard to find a publisher for some kind of multiplayer game like Quake 3 unless Quake Live is a huge hit.

PostPosted: 08-06-2008 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why the fuck do we need another multiplayer deathmatch game? We've been playing the same game for 15+ years, just dividing the players between different titles.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-06-2008 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's going to have to be much different in the gameplay department, physics and all, that's for sure.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-07-2008 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and then everyone will hate it because "its not quake".

if they were to make a whole new and different DM game, theyd have to ditch the name Quake. it just raises certain (and perhaps wrong) expectations.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-08-2008 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think so. Quake 4, and even Quake live bum a lot of people out because they're too much like q3. True Quake tradition is having a completely different game with each iteration, giving people new tricks to master. It also flattens the learning curve. As it is now, you have the same top tier players moving from game to game and easily dominating, because the game hasn't changed enough. Not to mention it keeps the series fresh. The main expectation of Quake is fast and skill based gameplay with competitive features. There's tons of room to play around with that formula.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 08-08-2008 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Q3A, so don't misunderstand this. I would like to see Quake get back to focusing on a mission. Q2 with Q3 graphics and a whole new objective would be great....

Well....kinda what Doom4 is sounding like? IS Doom4 a mission oriented game?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-09-2008 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
I would like to see Quake get back to focusing on a mission. Q2 with Q3 graphics and a whole new objective would be great....

Ummm... you mean like the single player missions of Quake 4?

Peenyuh wrote:
Well....kinda what Doom4 is sounding like? IS Doom4 a mission oriented game?

Just read the bloody article.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 08-09-2008 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh. Haven't played...it... :(

Edit: Forget I said anything. I was never here.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I don't think so. Quake 4, and even Quake live bum a lot of people out because they're too much like q3. True Quake tradition is having a completely different game with each iteration, giving people new tricks to master. It also flattens the learning curve. As it is now, you have the same top tier players moving from game to game and easily dominating, because the game hasn't changed enough. Not to mention it keeps the series fresh. The main expectation of Quake is fast and skill based gameplay with competitive features. There's tons of room to play around with that formula.

dont you have a defacto hate for UT for these exact reasons ?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-12-2008 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely can't wait for this. Hopefully it won't require TOO much of a performance upgrade. Doom 3 broke the barrier first, so we might expect something..

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-16-2008 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WOOT OMG IM SOO EXCITED
had too say that in caps

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
DooMer wrote:

dont you have a defacto hate for UT for these exact reasons ?

I hate UT because it's unbalanced.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-21-2008 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I couldnt even finish Doom 3... maybe im just a wimp!

Too many jumps for me! LOL

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-30-2008 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 used cheap scares imo.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 09-30-2008 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I hate UT because it's unbalanced.

I just discovered UT (always the late bloomer) but I seem to be better at it than Q3A. It's got hotter chicks too. :drool:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"30Hz game" and as fast as Doom 1?! You won't be able to see or hit anything; it will be shit.

I couldn't find any mention of "30" in the article you linked, though.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, i like how JC agreed that the monster closets were a "valid" critique of doom3

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
"30Hz game" and as fast as Doom 1?! You won't be able to see or hit anything; it will be shit.

I couldn't find any mention of "30" in the article you linked, though.

doom1 ran on 35fps capped.
Quote:
cl_capfps (boolean)
Default: false
When true, the game is limited to 35 FPS, as it was originally in Doom

oh shi

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-25-2009 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
doom1 ran on 35fps capped.
Quote:
cl_capfps (boolean)
Default: false
When true, the game is limited to 35 FPS, as it was originally in Doom

oh shi

That's still 1/7th less than the original Doom*, and Doom had auto-aim. When was that cap lifted, though? Shortly after Doom came out?

*(30 is 6/7th of 35)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Announcements

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.