Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        News about Q3Rally

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: News about Q3Rally

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-10-2021 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For all of you, who are interested...We have a little tease for You.

https://www.q3rally.com/2021/04/10/guess-what/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2021 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blast from the past!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-13-2021 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Eraser...

I found your QToolkit yesterday and think it is still very useful. Is there any chance, that you upgrade it to use it with custom q3games like my Q3Rally?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 11:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great to see you still find it useful. I still use the compiler GUI myself whenever making maps, although that has last been a year ago or so.

The bad news is that I've lost the source code to the program well over 10 years ago. My harddisk died and while I did have a backup, I seemed to have lost that backup as well. So I can't really make any changes to the program anymore. The alternative is to rebuild it from scratch, but honestly, that's a significant time investment that I don't really deem worth it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If all it needs is some strings changing for Q3Rally, maybe you can get away with some hex edit hackery of the executable?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That might be a possibility. I know the QToolkit looks for quake3.exe to start the game and that's hardcoded into the application. If that's the only problem then I guess there's a decent chance you'll be able to change that with a hex editor.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-17-2021 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only add that you have to make sure you don't accidentally change any addresses if you don't really understand x86_64 assembly, and especially if you don't know any of the opcodes and how to read little-endian hexadecimal values. If you change the lenght of the entire program, be sure to actually update relevant address values that might refer to eighter jumps or string literals. If you don't know what you're doing, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HEX EDIT ANYTHING! It's also worth to mention that there are number of tools for reverse engineering and code hacking tools that might help you with changing the actual machine code of the program in such way it works.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sad to hear you lost the source. But it is not the end of the world. It was only a "nice to have". Not a "can´t live without". ;-)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.