Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        problem setting up an online server

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: problem setting up an online server

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[EDIT]woops I think I posted this in the wrong section..!

I was trying to set up an 'internet' server for Q3 to do some online testing of a beta map when I ran into this peculiar problem. It's been a few years since I tried this and I was on 56k modem at the time but it worked, I'm now on ADSL (UK).. I go through the usual 'setup' screens in Quake3, set the server for the 'net' and then set it to dedicated. The game restarts and the console appears and this is where it gets a little odd. The server apparently (according to the console readout) pings that master server and the same IP address I had from wayyy back years ago is assigned (they must have a record somewhere?). Now on my other PC, I can see the server as a 'LAN' connection, which is fine, but as a test I tried to 'specify' the IP... nadda... not a dicky bird.

If I enter net_ip and net_port in the console both return with 'localhost' unless I set the IP given and restart the server, it's this that's puzzling me, the console says it's pinged the master and an IP assign and yet the return in the console suggests it's not even left the network (I do access the net via an ADSL router that does have a 'localhost' IP number).

Just to check the IP I installed QTracker and did a trace route and that returns the default 30 hops and times out.

Any suggestions as to what's going on?

[EDIT]Quake3 has permissions to pass via ZoneAlarm so isn't being blocked there, the ADSLrouter firewall is disabled as well.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not really very knowledgeable about this stuff, but are others able to connect to you if you give them the ip?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
not really very knowledgeable about this stuff, but are others able to connect to you if you give them the ip?
no and that's the problem... I basically tried connecting to the server over the internet myself (which I've done before) but that didn't result in anything. It might have something to do with me trying to connect like that so I'll give it another go and see if 'outsiders' can connect..!

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hooks up the IP I will try to connect. ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks fellas... should be interesting to see if you can see/access the server.

IP is set to 192.246.40.56:27960

server name 'kat's maps' (totally original I know..!! hehe)

default Q3 map atm q3dm2 (?)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried connecting from the console but it's not going... :shrug:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that's what I tried as well. Thought it might be punkbuster so that's been updated as far as I can tell but still nadda... :shrug: same here.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure but you might need to have these set in a server cfg (it might also work via the console, then you might have to restart the server). Try either combination...

seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
seta sv_master3 "master.gamespy.com:27900"
seta sv_master4 "195.149.21.15:27960"

(seta is not mandatory but that also has something to do with hardlocking the command to the config file(s)).

In the console commands are hardlocked via (it's not normally needed, but it's a good try): writeconfig q3config.cfg

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's done something but still not solved the initial problem. It's certainly 'connecting' to the master servers that's for sure but it's doesn't seem to then 'open up'

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm strange. lets go over the steps you need to do:

router: forward UDP ports 27950 and 27960 to your q3 server. 27950 may be optional, but do it anyway.

server: forget the console, setup a .bat file to start the server:
    quake3.exe +set net_ip {your wan ip} +set net_port 27960 +set dedicated 2 +set map q3dm2

notes: net_ip and port have to be set from the command line. once your q3 dedicated console is up, check its status and make sure a map is running with the commands status and map

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try over the weekend see if I can't get it to work.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.