Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Multiplayer game options?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Multiplayer game options?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-15-2006 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started playing Quake 3 on LAN with a few friends, and wanted to know how if there is some way I can change things like what weapons are in the game(like having it rail only) or other stuff like making it insta-gib. Basically I wanna know how to make so I can customize the game like in UT.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-15-2006 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can change things about Q3 by installing a mod (modification). Look in the sticky post at the section modifications. I'm not sure how it works in OSP, but if you install CPMA and vote for VQ3 gameplay (/callvote gameplay VQ3) (normal Q3 rules), you can easily remove items from the map with "/callvote items -BFG" for example. There are other mods that can do it too but you often need to make a config file to specify which weapons you get, which requires a bit more reading to know how to do it.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any mod that allows you to configure it from a menu like in UT?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mods (short for modifications) are made by the general public, and can be entirely new games upon themselves. They can include new items, weapons, characters, enemies, models, modes, textures, levels, and story lines.

OSP is a mod for Quake 3 that is designed to facilitate competitive, yet flexible, match play. OSP doesn't change any of the core game elements or its dynamics -- its all default Quake 3 in this regard. Instead it makes it easier and more convenient for players and admins alike to enhance the Quake 3 experience through enhanced client/server-side support and options. A server running the OSP mod can be referred to as an OSP server.

OSP allows you to effectively change everything in the interface so that it fits your whims. There are also added parts to the multiplayer that make it easier than standard quake for tournament play. Such improvements include only allowing players to start a match after each had declared their readiness, additional colors for names and rails, additional stats on the score window, and much more.
p0s3r wrote:
Is there any mod that allows you to configure it from a menu like in UT?
The server and the administrator of the server determines the game settings. On certain servers, some settings are voteable for change such as gametype.

If you want to start and setup your own server I suggest you check out the OSP mod which includes a program that allows you to easily configure a Q3 server to your whims (and creates a server config in the process) through a GUI interface. Once you install OSP, look for a file called "OSP Config Generator.exe" located in your "Quake III Arena\osp" directory.

Last edited by Cooldown on 04-16-2006 01:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cooldown wrote:
OSP does change any of the core game elements or its dynamics
You forgot "n't". :P

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers m8. Fixed! :P

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.planetquake.com/uie

it also can turn off and on certain items

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-16-2006 04:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CheapAlert wrote:

That's pretty neat. Is that a seperate mod or something more universal like pk3 files to work across a wide variety of mods though?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-17-2006 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It works with most mods if sv_pure is zero. You can always set it to zero locally to be able to use UIE when offline or connected to a not too strict server.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-17-2006 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go 2 tha sticky od mods point realeases... link(its the second 1 from the top in most pages) and find battle bots download(the 2nd 1 on the list in the Quake III Mods part up the top) its a sick mod

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CheapAlert wrote:

Hey thanks this is perfect. I just ahve one more question though, is there any way I can make a game where there is just one weapon, say the rail, and you start with it?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in osp /callvote instagib 1

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any way to do without OSP? I just want to make it so I can pick the weapon/ammo the player starts with.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can use another mod (without a map pack) like SCQ3A (super configurable Q3A), but most of them require that you make a config file to set things like the weapons you spawn with. Without a mod it's not possible.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 03:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UI Enhanced was posted above, it looks like it's possible to achieve what you want and more.

If you want an easy way of starting uie, make a new shortcut to quake3.exe and in the target line add: +set fs_game uie

Then you should be able to start a server and configure what you need. If you have spare computers at the lan you can toggle dedicated server to on, and have one of the boxes run the server command, and use the other boxes you have to connect to that server.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for confusion you guys: I am using UI Enhanced, its working out good. The only thing I would like is a means to change the weapons in the game. I tried using Qfrag 2.2, but it changes all the default Quake weapon stats, and it adds a cheesy menu and crap HUD in game. Thanks for your guys' patience.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You want to change the properties of the weapons? Like the speed of projectiles and the amount of damage of each weapon and reload times? That can be done with SCQ3A. Sadly it doesn't have an interface at all really, it's all config work.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just want to have a mode where its rockets only, or railgun only.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll want InstaUnlagged with insta_weapon set to 5 or 7.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok finally found a mod with exactly what I wanted: InstaGib+

Now I need to know how to get it working - this is what it says in the readme:
Code:
Server Info:/
============/
Download instagib+.zip
Extract the files to Your Quake3 Folder
Included in the zip file is a dedicated server batch and this readme.txt

Start a server using your normal server command line options and
+set fs_game instagibplus +set instagib <n> (n being 1 to 11)

So I've tried putting in that command into the console after starting a lan game, but it doesn't work... any help would be appreciated.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The instagib+ info isn't very specific, but it means to say that you need to start up a dedicated server with those commandline parameters. This means you need to make a shortcut or batch file with the command: quake3.exe +set fs_game instabigplus +set instagib <n>

Note that when you add those parameters to a shortcut, you have to put them outside the quotes ("path\quake3.exe" +set blabla).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
You'll want InstaUnlagged with insta_weapon set to 5 or 7.

p0s3r,

this would have done ya to be honest, but instagib+ is just as good.

Either follow the instructions that Oeloe has given you for a dedicated server.. or .. follow the following instructions.

1. Unzip the instagib files to your quake 3 arena folder (using the folder names option).
2. Fire up quake 3 as normal.
3. From the mods menu select instagib+ and hit the load button.
4. Fire up any map you like.
5. To change weapon from the default bring down the console and type \instagib <n> (n being the number of the mode / weapon you want to play - see table below). And volia!! every one has that weapon :)

See the readme file in the instagib folder for more info.

Table of weapons / modes

Mode - NUMBER
===========
Gauntlet - 1
Machine Gun - 2
Shotgun - 3
Grenade Launcher - 4
Rocket Launcher - 5
Lightning Gun - 6
Railgun - 7 <--- default
Plasmagun - 8
BFG - 9
Rotate - 10 (rotates weapons at set interval)
Promote - 11 (promotes players to next weapon at every kill)

Regards

Fora.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-19-2006 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome, finally got everything working just the way I want it. My friends are are having a blast on lan, thanks a lot you guys.

EDIT: Ah crap ran into one small problem, when I choose a weapon like machine gun or shotgun only, every hit is a kill, is there any way to have one weapon without making instant kills? It's fine for railgun, but no so fun for the other weapons. Sorry for all my lame questions.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-20-2006 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

p0s3r wrote:
Awesome, finally got everything working just the way I want it. My friends are are having a blast on lan, thanks a lot you guys.

EDIT: Ah crap ran into one small problem, when I choose a weapon like machine gun or shotgun only, every hit is a kill, is there any way to have one weapon without making instant kills? It's fine for railgun, but no so fun for the other weapons. Sorry for all my lame questions.

Ask and ye shall receive ... the answer to your prayers is a mod called Voosh found here

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-20-2006 09:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still don't get how UI Enhanced couldn't have helped you in your disposition... you made it sound like you want to disable some guns and have others enabled, and if you take a glance at that ss I posted earlier, that is exactly what can be achieved with uie. :s

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@dzjepp: My understanding is that he wants to use a particular weapon as a default weapon .. like railgun for instagib .. he doesn't want to have to pick it up.. but then have use of the weapon as he would do normally with unlimited ammo. Voosh gives him that.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FINALLY everything is working perfectly, thanks a lot guys. No more stupid questions. Heh

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exibit C.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exhibit. :p

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xzibit?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 04:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-22-2006 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@pOs3r: Don't give us half a story. ... which mod did you use ya tart ????

;)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.