Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Help with a OA bot port to Q3A (EDIT: I've figured them out)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Help with a OA bot port to Q3A (EDIT: I've figured them out)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-10-2015 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am currently making a WIP Open Arena bot port to Quake 3 Arena. S_Marine (the orange version) I cannot see, except for the weapon in midair. Can someone help? Here is the pak for it: https://mega.nz/#!Jtkx0CoB And also, Major from OA loves to conflict with Major for Q3A, meaning I need help with a shader(player_major.shader is what I need help with, I may have renamed it to player_major2.shader, which is what I want).
UPDATE: I have figured them out. Here's the link to them: https://mega.nz/#!hg1iUDRI!BfujnBgez6_2 ... k0ZQOpRHGs

Last edited by coltonquake3 on 06-23-2016 11:56 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2015 11:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have no clue what you are doing. So please abort any attempts you have made so far and step away from the computer.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking hell...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-15-2015 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I won't give up, all I need to do in that shader is change the paths in the shader to the ones in the pk3. Can you guys AT LEAST be constructive with your help, please? Because I have no idea how to edit shaders.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-17-2015 08:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Usualy editing game shaders is a bad idea, such as replacing content with new one (even when in another pk3). All the game loads from pk3's needs to have unique paths (also shader names in shader files), otherwise the later one replace the one before. Good shader manual can be found on http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/ (Obsidian's link). Remember, you need to add stuff, not replace. Q3 is adaptive and growable engine, basically you can add as much stuff as you want, technically there is an upper limit, which is set that high that normally can't be reached, unless you're just an insane Q3 fan :)

Stuff is stored in pk3 files, which are normal zips with extension renamed to pk3. That you can do with file name extensions visible in your Windows (or using a Linux distribution). Pk3 structure is a lot intuitive and understandable, just look inside some pk3 with the game (only look, do not change anything). To do this, you need an archive app. 7-Zip is good and free one...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-17-2015 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have all of those (the archiving software, the game files, etc.).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2015 02:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The model itself has references to texture/shader paths. You'll need to edit the model itself to change those.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-22-2015 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any good md3 editing software that you suggest Eraser?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-23-2015 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, md3 can't be edited straight, it's a compiled binary geometry that can't be somewhat changed directly, but you can import it in your modelling software (MilkShape 3D has pretty good MD3 import support, so I'd recommend to use this one) - then make necessary changes to geometry if it requires (don't forget to also edit UV mapping in LithUnwrap, for example, you need to save the model as ms3d file first to edit UV coordinates and save them again in the same ms3d file).

So let's aassume you have MilkShape 3D. Here are the steps:
#1 Import the md3 file to MilkShape 3D. If you just want to change textures skip next steps up to #
#2 Make necessary changes in geometry.
#3 Save the working file with .ms3d extension - it's the working file for MilkShape 3D compatible programs only (I know about MS3D itself and LithUnwrap, which edits UV coordinates)
#4 Open the MS3D file in LithUnwrap (it's free to download and use). Make necessary changes in UV coordinates according to the geometry changes and save back in the same ms3d file.
#5 Reopen the modified MS3D file back in MilkShape and look how it looks with new texture(s) (Use material settings). If everything is okay, continue to step #6, if not, repeat steps #2 to #5.
#6 Create Quake Control file (extension .qc; Tools menu) - Save it to anywhere you wish to temporarily store the md3 file. A notepad opens with preloaded content. Model file name includes the path the model will be. Change it to the path, you wish the model to be included (taken from for). Be careful, no mistakes can be accepted. Also name the model filename (with .md3 extension) just as the control file. Think twice where you want to store it if it was pk3. This is a control string for md3 file if it is in the right path. If not, that means error. Then apply textures to meshes - simply write the texture path and filename (with extension ALWAYS .tga). Then save it.
#7 Now to the same directory you can finally export the md3 file. Choose the same name as the control file has (and the control string contains), just with .md3 extension.
#8 Put it to the pk3 in the path you declared in the control file, with all the textures you used in their respective paths. That way your model is ready to use.

Mapmodels notes:
You do not need to include the md3 models in the pk3, if you wish to use misc_model entity, which simply tells the compiler to take the model geometry and bake it to the map. You can place it in the path/to/your/model.md3 straight in the baseq3 directory and the compiler will take it from there instead. But you always need to include at least the textures the model uses, otherwise it will display the missing texture grid.

Hope this will explain you a lot...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-24-2015 02:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can probably edit the paths using a hex editor

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-24-2015 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You can probably edit the paths using a hex editor

That's something I'd not recommend for md3 as to make it work the entire path to be replaced by has to be the exact bytes length as the original, which is something that won't happen in much cases... Just as with changing textures in BSP. Changing the length will cause the model go to trash until retrieved...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never hurts to try. I did the same for the green armor in EntityPlus. It's a copy of the YA model.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet it has exactly the same bytes length. Why not when colors are coded with three letters? It's just changing the color, not entire skin. I bet to correct binary code, which can be made only with compiler.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Well, md3 can't be edited straight

Misfit Model 3d lets you edit md3 paths and re-save.

Also, player models use upper,lower and head_default.skin files for loading textures. Only weapons, armor, map objects etc use the path in the md3 itself.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-16-2016 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATE: I have the bots all figured out now, they can be downloaded here:
https://mega.nz/#!hg1iUDRI!BfujnBgez6_2 ... k0ZQOpRHGs
All I need to do now is check for any unsupported random strings, one of which is "peeps".
UPDATE2: Fixed the botfiles for grism, grismclassic, and skelebot, as well as grismindigo (I wanted to use grismindigo as a different model so that way I could use him in team games, same with smarine's orange skin, was renamed to smarineor). New link is in post.
UPDATE3: A few more minor fixes have been added. New link is in post.
UPDATE4: Major fixes to chatfiles to remove unsupported random strings in Q3A, neko and nekoyss can both be played at the same time in a match now, dark, rai, tanisha, and nekoyss all have copies of angelyss's model, nekoyss & neko use the same sound files (obviously, because they're both cats), the PM skin for smarine has been given smarine's model, it's smarinepm in the pk3, Murielle has been added from the latest OA SVN (r951 at this point), & a whole host of other fixes I can't remember... New link is in post.
UPDATE5: More minor bugfixes, leth (the leth skin for major2) now has sounds, and neko's chatfile has the unsupported random string removed.
UPDATE6: S_MarinePM now has icons & thus now works in CTF.

Last edited by coltonquake3 on 05-11-2016 06:21 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-09-2016 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just done a major update to this bot pack, has a ton of bugfixes & schtuff like that.
EDIT: Fixed a minor icon issue.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.