Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Vista 32bit gamma fix (nvidia)...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Vista 32bit gamma fix (nvidia)...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-10-2008 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I noticed when I installed Vista the other day with the 169.35 drivers that Quake 3 has problem changing the gamma. I remember the same problem when I installed XP sometime back in 2001. Thankfully, id solved this in later patches. But again I see alot of people having these types of problems. I looked at different forums and to my knowledge there wasn't really a decent fix for this. Some said setting r_ignorehwgamma to 1 made it better, but not not much imo.

I also remember when I had this issue with xp that if you set the game to run in compatiblility mode to win98, it looked better. So I tried this in Vista and sure enough the gamma issue was fixed. But another problem occured, the game wouldn't run past 60fps. I'm running with a LCD display. I thought I somehow set the r_finish to 1, or r_swapinterval to 1, but I hadn't.

What struck me was that I couldn't remember having a gamma problem with Vista before, prior to nov/dec 2007. I guess it's a driver issue.

So I looked through the Nvidia control panel, and tried out different settings. The solution is simple.

In Manage 3D Settings / Vertical Sync, change it to Force Off.
Now the game runs smooth again.

I'm guessing this applies to most openGL games including COD.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.