Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Switched over from Quake Live to Q3, issues.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Switched over from Quake Live to Q3, issues.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-08-2009 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

issues in q3:

1. why does the lightning gun look like spaghetti when it shoots!? It confuses me!
2. how do i change my hud
3. CPMA does not work. I've gotten urban terror to work, but not CPMA. It works against a bot, but i am unable to join an internet game. I have all the maps too.
4. ive been hearing a little bit about like HD quake? i assume its enhanced graphics... mmm can i try? tell me a link if u know where to get it :D
5. how do i force player models to like keel? in ql, its like cg_forceenemymodel "keel/bright" and ive been told its like \cg_forcemodel "keel/bright" or somehting like that.... doesnt work for me ;p

sorry if i violated any forum rules, the link is broken!

thanks for any assistance, cause im cool. :rolleyes:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-08-2009 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to get cpma working for this.

cg_enemymodel tankjr/pm
cg_enemyColors eeeee

Read the docs that come with cpma, they list commands and how to change your HUD.

Edit: About internet play: You need a seperate server browser cause the one in Q3 doesn't work any more.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 12:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Edit: About internet play: You need a seperate server browser cause the one in Q3 doesn't work most of the time.

Fixed that for you, DTS.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
You need to get cpma working for this.

cg_enemymodel tankjr/pm
cg_enemyColors eeeee

Read the docs that come with cpma, they list commands and how to change your HUD.

Edit: About internet play: You need a seperate server browser cause the one in Q3 doesn't work any more.

thank you!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone know how to cure the noodle lightning?

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 10:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't fix what aint broke. I believe it's 'spose tuh be that way.

Edit: METALLICA!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 05:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

please elaborate on the spaghetti

it might be the lightning setting, try
/cg_oldlightning 1
in the console

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like cg_trueLightning to me - 1 makes it look dead straight, while 0 makes it really bendy to try to show where it's really hitting (taking account of lag). When using cg_xerpClients 1 in CPMA you'll probably want 1 as it typically hits what is under the xhair, and if you're using OSP you might want somewhere around 0.5

Note that you cannot force team/enemy models in baseq3, only in mods like osp/cpma.

For changing the hud, you cannot do much with baseq3. For CPMA, check out the "superhuds" - plenty of people have posted their huds on ESR, or you can use the superhud editor.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-11-2009 08:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thank you with my spaghetti lightning. i was suspecting my lightning was bending due to lag, but wasnt sure.

OSP question: is it possible to change the hud within osp? it looks different from vq3

edit: my real big problem is with the chat... cant read it well at all.

and another question: do you guys notice a little shot lag, or do you just play with it? im playing at 66ping to crom's freeze tag server.... but i still get a little shot lag, making easy shots fucking hard.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-11-2009 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can change the HUD in OSP, there are several preset HUDs, but beyond that, there is nothing else you can change. Well, you can change the size of certain things that appear in the HUD, but as far as I remember that's it.

If you read the OSP docs (or Readmes) you will find there's a command like cf_somethingfontsize or something, which might affect chat, not sure, it might just affect team chat.

There's really not much point in using OSP any more, CPMA can do everything OSP does and more. For example, CPMA has, like Quake Live, made the physics FPS-independent, meaning you get the same physics no matter your framerate. In OSP you need pmove_fixed on (set to 1) for that, which you need to callvote on.

If you're using CPMA, there's a good new Q3 client available from the CPMA site called CNQ3 (Challenge Q3). Which also happens to be the name of a gamplay mode in CPMA, abbreviated "CQ3", which could be confusing if you didn't know. Anyway, if you use CNQ3, you have the option (detailed somewhere in the documentation for it) to change the size of the console font. You can even have it scale according to your display resolution.

You mentioned Freeze Tag: I don't know how much use it will be to you, cause I don't know if many people play it (I heard it didn't go down very well), but CPMA has the Freeze Tag gametype built in; so you can just callvote it, providing the server allows that. Best to look for CPMA servers near you that are dedicated to the Freeze Tag mode, though. if there are any. Or maybe there's a pickup channel? (As in IRC channel.) They seem to be the way people play team games in CPMA, unless that was just one particular group of people and one server or group of servers. They'd be of the mind that you can't just join a team game server, wait for people to join and play a game. Oh no, that would be too simple. You have to idle in a shitty IRC channel waiting for people to "sign up" for a game and "sign up" yourself, at which point the game "launches" and you are "allowed" to join the server to play with them. Of course this is the best way to play team games! That's why it was incorporated into Quake Live! (Sarcasm.)

Yeah, there are a bunch of things I like about CPMA, and I recognise it as the best Q3 mod, but some of the players can be a bunch of shitheads. And that's compared to Q3 players in general.

So, having said all that, providing you get 125fps at all times, you might be better off playing Freeze Tag outside of CPMA, than trying to play it in CPMA, with all the hassle that could mean,

Doesn't OSP have Freeze Tag built in aswell? (Maybe that is what you were playing, I don't know.)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2009 11:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i always had my resolution set to 1024x768 because of the chat. i could easily run it at 1280 but the text would get so fucking tiny it would get distracting :/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

warribbons wrote:
and another question: do you guys notice a little shot lag, or do you just play with it? im playing at 66ping to crom's freeze tag server.... but i still get a little shot lag, making easy shots fucking hard.

You could either switch to Ultra Freeze Tag, which is an unlagged freeze tag (unlagged == lag correction) or set cl_timenudge to -50. cl_timenudge smoothes the gameplay but it also introduces extra latency. Or move to Sweden, those bastards usually have a <10ms ping.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@DTS: yea.. i dont feel like sitting around in mirc for days waiting to play some cpma.

according to the .doc files in osp, there are 8 huds, but the commands dont work =/

and osp does have freeze tag. it's a lot of fun.

@MKJ: thanks for the idea

@^misantropia^: mmmm ty

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You wouldn't be waiting days, just the point is, why wait in IRC when you could be jumping around a map on the server?

The commands do work, you have to do /reloadhud or something afterwards.

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why did you switch from quake live?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

..about the lg bendy trail, you should have it at cg_truelightning "1.0"

In Cpma there are also four choices on what you want the LG shaft to look like:
cg_altLightning "0" - 1.30 LG Trail
cg_altLightning "1" - 1.16 LG Trail
cg_altLightning "2" - PROMODE LG Trail
cg_altLightning "3" - Runningman's Thin LG Trail ... I usually use 2 or 3..

About "Huds", OSP had the original idea of changings it up, but over the years Cpma took it to the next level..I have like 15 or so different huds, but I only use like 3 of them..the first hud one I made that I'm using on map pom below, and the next one I got from Runningman that I'm using on map rjldm3.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Zyte: i decided to buy q3 because i wanted to pay homage to id, for making such a great game. Quakelive felt a little... fake? if thats possible. and since ive played q3, q3 does seem more real.

edit: okay... so i bought it so i could play with a girl in my class... and i played it wrong and got friendzoned. bitch.

@v1|3: can you play with custom huds in baseq3? or do you HAVE to play cpma to use the huds, cause thats not what i want. I can't play cpma, because all the servers give me the boot, and i dont feel like sitting in irc yet... i dont want to commit to this game quite yet. school is a bit more important. ;p

so yea... apparently osp has custom huds, which you have to use

Usage [Khaile]:
- \hudstyle # - Sets the style to the specified number. There are
currently 8 different styles, you can create your own styles
with config files.
- \hudnext - Sets the HUD to the "next" style, use this to quickly
check out all styles.
- \hudprev - Sets the HUD to the "previous" style, use this to quickly
check out all styles.

and /hudrestart or /restarthud or /hrestart does not work..... da fuckk... its so aggrivating not being able to see the chat....

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@v1|3: dayum those are nice ass huds. i would also love to see at a glance how much ammo for each weapon i have. that's a nice ability to have.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

warribbons wrote:
Can you play with custom huds in baseq3? or do you HAVE to play cpma to use the huds, cause thats not what i want. I can't play cpma, because all the servers give me the boot, and i dont feel like sitting in irc yet.

You need Cpma to use the huds, and the reason your getting the boot, is because you don't have your stuff set up right. You have to have all five mappacks in your baseq3 folder, and you have to have the right version(of cpma) that the server is running. Right now the current version is "1.47". ..and as far as finding a server, I would set up IOQ3(Icculus)and find a server using that rather than normal Q3..I mean it works, but there seem to be more server running IOQ3.
warribbons wrote:
\hudnext - Sets the HUD to the "next" style, use this to quickly
check out all styles.
\hudprev - Sets the HUD to the "previous" style, use this to quickly
check out all styles.
and /hudrestart or /restarthud or /hrestart does not work..... da fuckk... its so aggrivating not being able to see the chat....

I personally have(in my autoexec.cfg)in OSP:
bind 9 "hudprev"
bind 0 "hudnext"
use those buttons to go through them(quicker, less typing)..which those are for promode huds anyways, and not for normal vQ3 Osp. There is no need for restarthud, because what ever you have them set at will stay that way in the q3config.cfg and there is no master hud.

For the hud in normal Osp..add this to your autoexec as well:

bind w "vstr wstoggle"
set wstoggle "vstr ws1"
set ws1 "set ch_weaponswitch 1;set wstoggle vstr ws2"
set ws2 "set ch_weaponswitch 2;set wstoggle vstr ws3"
set ws3 "set ch_weaponswitch 3;set wstoggle vstr ws4"
set ws4 "set ch_weaponswitch 4;set wstoggle vstr ws5"
set ws5 "set ch_weaponswitch 5;set wstoggle vstr ws6"
set ws6 "set ch_weaponswitch 6;set wstoggle vstr ws7"
set ws7 "set ch_weaponswitch 7;set wstoggle vstr ws8"
set ws8 "set ch_weaponswitch 8;set wstoggle vstr ws9"
set ws9 "set ch_weaponswitch 9;set wstoggle vstr ws1"

bind s "vstr sbtoggle"
set sbtoggle "vstr sb0"
set sb0 "set ch_statusbarformat 0;set sbtoggle vstr sb1"
set sb1 "set ch_statusbarformat 1;set sbtoggle vstr sb2"
set sb2 "set ch_statusbarformat 2;set sbtoggle vstr sb3"
set sb3 "set ch_statusbarformat 3;set sbtoggle vstr sb4"
set sb4 "set ch_statusbarformat 4;set sbtoggle vstr sb5"
set sb5 "set ch_statusbarformat 5;set sbtoggle vstr sb6"
set sb6 "set ch_statusbarformat 6;set sbtoggle vstr sb7"
set sb7 "set ch_statusbarformat 7;set sbtoggle vstr sb8"
set sb8 "set ch_statusbarformat 8;set sbtoggle vstr sb9"
set sb9 "set ch_statusbarformat 9;set sbtoggle vstr sb10"
set sb10 "set ch_statusbarformat 10;set sbtoggle vstr sb11"
set sb11 "set ch_statusbarformat 11;set sbtoggle vstr sb12"
set sb12 "set ch_statusbarformat 12;set sbtoggle vstr sb0"

The "s" key will switch the statusbar(ammo/health/armor amounts in hud), and the "w" key will change the weapon switch icons. This all may seem like to much info at first, but the more you mess with it, the easier things become.

If you want anything special for the hud, or anything else..your gonna have to play a mod...or else go back to Qlive. Qlive offers nothing special other than that though. It's pretty limited otherwise. It's a good attempt for ID to sell more copies of Q3A, while Q3A players switch to IOQ3.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-19-2009 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

another question, if you would be so kind:

is it possible to make q3 minimized, or at least put another window in front of it? instant messaging is an important part of my life.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2009 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alt + Enter toggles fullscreen.
Or r_fullscreen 0 or 1.

Same in QL, except QL has the advantage of not needing to reload the map.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 12:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Same in QL, except QL has the advantage of not needing to reload the map.

Ditto for ioquake3.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.