Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Ugly Quake 3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Ugly Quake 3

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just can't get over how ugly stock Quake 3 maps are. (I'm not even considering their poly count etc, just their looks)
I mean their designs are so awful and the atmosphere is terrible. (They're like wannabe Quake 1 maps)

Team Arena's was overall a lot better (really liked the "terra" maps)... and man, these new Quake Live/Quake Arena Arcade maps have amazing level design and appearence. I love id's new "tech base" map styles.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah real constructive criticism there bubba.

I actually think the original Q3 maps look amazing. Compare the look of Q3 to UT'99 and you'll see that Q3 aged a lot better.

Don't forget that Q3 was built in a time when level design in full 3D was still a relatively new skill. The amount of detail that the Q3 engine was capable of was unprecedented. In the past years, people learned a lot about level editing and as PC's became faster, more detail could be added to maps as well.

The result is that by experience, current day maps look a lot better than the earliest Quake 3 maps.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about their poly counts -
I don't like the design direction in stock Q3, they look like Quake 1 map failures; all the maps before q3dm16 look all the same - bland and orangey.
Look at Quake Live's training map - really cool tech metal look. Look at Team Arena's terra maps - very peaceful looking.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake Live's training map was made something like 8 years after the original game was released. And TA's terra maps looked mediocre, IMO and play like shit.

Map style is objective and in the eye of the beholder, so I guess if it didn't float your boat, there's still no need to complain on a forum about it 10 years after the game was released.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't take me the wrong way; I was just voicing my opinion,
anyways I've made a RTCW BJ skin (for Bitterman)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43804

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-18-2010 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don't forget that Q3 was built in a time when level design in full 3D was still a relatively new skill.

No. No it wasn't.

Eraser wrote:
The amount of detail that the Q3 engine was capable of was unprecedented.

No... Not at all.

Even still... The OP is still blind.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2010 07:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 is better than Quake Live!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-02-2010 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One line comments don't really contribute to a conversation in any way more that particularly opinionated ones.

"Blue sux cuz red is totally awesomer!" is not something you need to post on a forum unless you have some interesting study on how red somehow increases productivity or something in which we can actually discuss.

Please refrain from being a forum asshat. K'thx.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 10-06-2010 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dessicated corpse wrote:
Quake 3 is better than Quake Live!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-06-2010 10:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh look, peenyuh is trying to get banned again.
and failing at it.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 07-20-2016 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
One line comments don't really contribute to a conversation in any way more that particularly opinionated ones.

"Blue sux cuz red is totally awesomer!" is not something you need to post on a forum unless you have some interesting study on how red somehow increases productivity or something in which we can actually discuss.

Please refrain from being a forum asshat. K'thx.

Agreed, because your comment references the theory of color oppression. Which essentially means it's easier to identify & realize that's your enemy with certain colors for the bases. Cyan is a color oppression color to orange, for e.x. And sorry for the necro, that was just a burning opinion I had about this topic.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-20-2016 07:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think color oppression is terminology more likely to be associated with racism than actual color theory.
Aren't you confused with complementary colors? If so, however, your examples aren't entirely correct.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-21-2016 04:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool 6 year bump bro.
Also, ITT obsidian has yet to learn the difference between 'objective' and 'subjective'.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 07-21-2016 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm inclined to think color oppression is terminology more likely to be associated with racism than actual color theory.
Aren't you confused with complementary colors? If so, however, your examples aren't entirely correct.

I was also referencing the "Fluorescent" map by cityy which uses this theory for the CTF bases. It's available in QL as well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.