Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Weird skin?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Weird skin?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-01-2011 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, I had some fun tonight reading some creepy stories. To clear my mind after doing so, I fired up Q3 and joined a crowded and fun FFA server I always waste my time on. After some time, during a match on DM1 a peculiar fellow has connected midgame. His nickname was "END" without any colors, and his model was Klesk - except that he had a skin I've never seen before (some kind of a black texture, didn't manage to take a closer look). Upon fragging him once, I saw the expected "You fragged END". I hit Tab to see something, and realize this guy is gone. I ask everyone for several minutes whether they had seen this guy as well, I get no response whatsoever as if I was muted. Kept playing for a few more maps and left to write this.
I am officially creeped out. Most likely thanks to the stuff I've been reading before that but still... if a thing such as a haunted server exists, that's how it looks like. I won't be able to look at that server the same ever again.
That said, now I think that texture could be the tex of some other object wrapped on the wrong model. Can Q3 do that?

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-01-2011 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It could be that your theory is correct. If Q3 didn't properly load the texture/shader for the model then you might see a dark/colourless player model. If it can't load a texture/shader for a surface in a map then you'll see a white on grey grid - there must be something similar for player models. It's also possible that the mod you were playing or relaxed server settings allowed them to choose a dark colour or skin for the model. Then the guy may have ragequit when you fragged him.

However, it's more likely that the server was just haunted. Some of the code Carmack wrote to get respawns working properly had the unfortunate side-effect of occasionally pulling the angry souls of dead maniacs into the game. 1.32 fixed this to some extent and now most hauntings can be safely exorcised by setting g_perniciousevil to 0 and restarting the server.

Obviously, on no account should you attempt to kill a ghost player, just tell the server admin what's happening and disconnect so that they can take care of it. Fragging a ghost will tell them your name, which is usually enough for an incantation enabling them to find you in the real world. The incantation process is immediately recognisable in-game as the ghost disappearing and other players not being able to hear and/or see you. In the real world, the first thing that you'll notice is the nagging sense that someone is standing behind you, so utterly overwhelmed with explosive rage that they cannot act until looked in the eye.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2011 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing in that post was lied.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 03:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ffs :olo:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a good laugh. :D
But the part about the skin is true, it looked like if someone applied the skin of some other character (could be sarge) on that model, and it's not the first time I saw that happen. Bug or some setting I didn't know of?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

some bug, people had it happen after the TA patch iirc

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay then, derailing topic. Would overriding an existing player model with a same name model inside a higher priority pk3 work?
I want to turn Bones and Klesk (only those two) into this:
- as my way to boycott pro-wannabe "force player model, use fullbrights and choose the character based on visibility" faggotry. Not because they pwn me since they don't despite this advantage, just my little punishment for them.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no.
Quake3 checks if your gamecontent is identical to the server's, exactly to prevent people from doing this (ie cheating).

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would be happy to rape your face though.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boo bleeding hoo. Yet fullbrights work.
Give me a time machine so I can stop id from implementing the bones/bones texture... if I wanted to change anything about Q3, it's that.
Would deleting it (turning into sarge) work, then?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Force player models?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why should I? I take no pride in defeating someone with such stuff enabled.
Oh, you took me entirely serious again. No, I'm just ranting about the arms race that are "pro configs", and the thin line between such and cheating.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pro configs are a myth.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can get odd colored skins by mixing different characters together

an example: /model klesk/bones will make you klesk but with the missing texture instead of the normal one

pre 1.32 i think would actually make you the proper color (klesk with the holographic bones texture)

edit: here's "/model bones/klesk"

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I was asking about, thanks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.