Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake III Arena doesn't show grafics in my server

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena doesn't show grafics in my server

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 12:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't believe it! I've created my server with QToolkit, but when I launch the server config, the game will shutdown GL grafics and shows server running only at blue console... How to join the game entire?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That blue console you're seeing is a dedicated server. That means that Quake 3 there acts as just a server and not a client (player) playing on it.

You can leave the server running and then start Quake 3 a second time as you would normally do. Then in the console enter \connect 127.0.0.1 (I think \connect localhost should work as well). Your game should now connect to the dedicated server.

Another option is to disable the option "Dedicated Server" in the Quake Toolkit before launching the server. Then you won't be running a dedicated server and you'll enter the game as usual.

The long explanation is that Quake 3 is split into two parts: a server part and a client part. Whenever you run a single player or skirmish game of Quake 3 on your own computer, the game will start up both the server part and the client part and the client part connects to the server part and you'll be able to play.

Whenever you join an online game, the server part won't be started on your computer but that part is running on the server you're connected to. In almost all cases, the computer that is running the server won't be running a client, meaning that it is a dedicated server. Naturally multiple clients can connect to one server. Each client is a player on there.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser:
I've setted up dedicated 2 (Internet). It's the same (only appears at internet)?
If yes, so I will leave the dedicated options off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 04:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes, dedicated 2 means it's a game that will be reported to the master servers so it can be found through server browsers. Setting dedicated to 1 means it can only be found on the local network (LAN). Setting dedicated to 0 means both the client and server will be running on the same machine. Other clients can still connect to the server though.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Other clients can still connect to the server though.

So you mean, the server will be visible on connect list of servers in other clients connected to Internet.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 09:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My server doesn't appear on connect screen. How to keep server running and how to make server visible on connect list?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're running in non-dedicated mode, there is no server until you start a game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-28-2011 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Other clients can still connect to the server though.

So you mean, the server will be visible on connect list of servers in other clients connected to Internet.

Only if you're running a dedicated internet server (dedicated 2).

CZghost wrote:
My server doesn't appear on connect screen. How to keep server running and how to make server visible on connect list?

If you're running as dedicated 1, the server will only appear in the in-game server browser when the server browser is set to look for LAN games.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser:
I don't run dedicated server. Will the server show up in connect screen on other clients to Internet?
If so, how to keep server running, when I leave it?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
If you're running in non-dedicated mode, there is no server until you start a game.

So i must run dedicated mod and then restart Q3 to join? But how to keep server running? Must I wait for new players?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Start the dedicated server first, then start a new instance of Q3A (i.e. the graphical version) and connect with that. The dedicated server will keep on running if you disconnect.

Note that you will need to configure your firewall to allow inbound UDP traffic on port 27960 if you want people to be able to connect over the Internet.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-30-2011 05:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done. Now run dediacted server and then connect to game myself.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.