Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        error message when joining several servers!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: error message when joining several servers!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I was hoping you could help me with the following issue: When I am trying to joing a server, i sometimes get the error message "server uses protocol version 69/70/71". The thing i dont understand is, that i actually have version 1.32(c) installed (console tells me the same) and that i thought 68 is the newest and last protocol version of quake 3?? I have been searching some days now and couldn't find anything that could help me solve this problem!!

Thanks for reading:)

Zdif

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

afaik there are no official patches after 1.32 by id software, but there might be unofficial patches from third-party programmers which may use higher protocols. I could be wrong though.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 04:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i tried to find some unofficial patches too but i didn't. Then i thought that maybe this protocol versions are used for different mods? i added some servers where i geht this error messages:

and with this one i am always stuck at awaiting challenge, which makes me feel very sorry because i cant find any instagib ffa servers which are still up and running! do u guys maybe know some? cheers Zdif

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just by looking some infos of the first server in your list :

protocol 69
qvm_version Lakitu7's QVM 5.5 (Oct 9 2011, 08:39:21)
sv_dlURL http://blogwtf.com
version tremulous 1.1.0_SVN1116 linux-x86_64 Jan 15 2012

So the first server in the list is not a Quake 3 server but a Tremulous server, I would recommend dl and installing the mod before trying to connect.

I haven't checked the others from your list but you can use Qtracker to first take a look at teach of these servers and figure what are they are running.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tremulous is a stand alone game based on the Q3 source by the way, so it's not a mod you run on top of quake 3

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey thanks guys i really appreciate that you helped me out! But there's a server left, which should start up. But as a matter of fact it freezes during awaiting challenge...

i was looking up the server information and it says game version ops 1.03a. i installed the mod but i am still not connecting. could you tell me if you can connect? thank you really much!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And what is the error msg you get when you try to connect?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if its a protocol mismatch you can try and get yourself a version switcher, so you can play on servers that still run 1.31, or even older...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-05-2012 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zdif wrote:
hey thanks guys i really appreciate that you helped me out! But there's a server left, which should start up. But as a matter of fact it freezes during awaiting challenge...

Does it actually freeze or crash the game or is it simply not continuing into the game (the numeric counter keeps on counting)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-05-2012 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its just not continuing in the game and it keeps counting up

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-05-2012 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bring down the console (~) when trying to connect and check the last lines of it to get the error msg as to why you can't connect.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-05-2012 08:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get the error from PunkBuster when tried to load map in TA by SP menu. I don't understand, why PB doesn't allow colors in nick? It discards all special characters including the ^ used for colors... After removeal the color settings in nick the game works fine...

Screen freezed on Awaiting gamestate... and in background it was typing PB blocation, which I've reached by opening console...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.