Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake III Arena / TeamArena 2012

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena / TeamArena 2012

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One does not simply, find players for these games anymore.

Hello to all.

It seems that it is getting harder and harder to get players in Quake 3 or Team Arena these days,.. relax this isn't a "rant thread".
if anything, this is an indirect advertisement, lol -- I thought I would pop onto the QUAKE 3 WORLD forums and make a post about this.

Being in Australia (far away from the rest of the world, lol) it's extremely hard to find players for this game, the players on the local IRC channels are very one-track minded, and very tightly based within their own community/world, and even though it clearly states "quake 3", you'll find it's more QuakeLive, and if so Q3, then CPMA.

So, why am I posting this? - well, does other parts of the world have this issue?, yeah you guys up in Europe! and over to the USA, if yous wanted to Team Arena, would you be able to get a game, or would you need to spend hours of your time organizing matches that only last 20 minutes due to lack of interest?.

ok, Team Arena maybe a very rare thing to hear of, even more rare than default Q3A, I find mostly because it's an expansion pack, and players find it to much of a hassle to install when they could go play QuakeLive and get a better result. Free users (such as myself) of QuakeLive get turned away at the fact we can't enjoy what we already bought 12 years ago, and the fact that it's annually isn't much to look at, when you can rent a server for 10 bucks a month and enjoy everything else free with your mates.

That's all I've got for now, I would like to leave this open to the QUAKE 3 WORLD forums and get some opinions on this.

Cheers (:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 11:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah man, Team Arena never really took off unfortunately. It was an awesome package, but alas.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2012 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the same issue. I'm in Australia too, and even though there are some servers around (mainly the cpma maps is the only servers I get a decent ping on i've found thus far) there are no players around. I joined a game just before and waited a good 30 minutes or so for another player (or so) to join, but no one appeared and I got bored of shooting rockets into walls.

That's when I decided to google "activity times australian quake 3 cpma maps" and found this thread! At the moment I only have quake 3 arena and cpma installed, but I do have a team fortress 2 copy sitting here waiting to be installed as well. But it would be good to give someone a shot at this classic game and see if my skills are anything like they used to be!

I remember back in the days, there was some Australian servers - notably 'baz's' servers is what I used the most and there were some great aspects to that server. Rail jumping being one thing I really miss in multiplayer quake 3!

But step one is to find players. :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2012 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, there's always Quake Live.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-31-2013 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oza, my signature here on Quake 3 World, and other fourms Iam associated with shows a GameTracker page of an Australian (Sydney) Quake 3 Arena, Unlagged server, It uses both default and custom content, can be switched between mods, including TA, and has a fast download redirect server so downloading thos custom maps are a breeze (to thos with IOQ3), Average, to High-Skilled players that are interested in Q3 over QL go there a fair bit (myself included), it's professionally hosted, so no home-server job, so it's guaranteed quality, and much more..

I get what you're saying about sitting in servers for 30+ minutes before getting anyone, and even at that time not all the time someone will join that. The CPMA server you are most likely to find action on in PremiumGamer #6, their IRC is #promode.au on QuakeNet.

I have found the players that play CPMA over this side of the world, do not like standard Q3, especially the default VQ3 physics, and to mention TA is like a joke, so you can see why I turn to advertising on forums, as even "ausquake", and "ozquake" IRC channels, should be named to "ausCPMAOnly"... :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.