Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 crashes in Windows 7.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 crashes in Windows 7.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-09-2014 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is this nonsense? I recently bought Q3A and TA, so that I could mod some things into 1.32, yet the game opts to crash during startup, and before the ROQ can load.

I changed compatibility to Win7, and set it to always run in Admin mode, yet it's still giving problems. I do not want to use IoQ3.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work? I am kind of surprised this game would have an issue on any system.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What type of OS are you using? x86 or x64? x86 is 32bit, x64 is 64bit, regarding on your choice or CPU architecture... Then try to play with compatibility checkboxes (the most important one: Disable desktop composition) and try compatibility to earlier version of Windows (Vista, XP SP3, etc.), it should work. Do not launch it with 256 colors, I did not try it and don't want to try it, simply I never had to and as I know far, it would make the color scheme known from 16bit OS...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Win 7 Prem 64 bit. I tried those things just now and they did not work. One fix I saw was to start the setup from the Quake3 folder of the setup disk. That seemed to fix it for numerous people, but that file will not properly open for me. Only the other set up file outside the folder works.

I got it to run only once, even opened up Ra3, Hunt, and Q3Rally for a little bit.

Any other ideas? :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does it crash to desktop? Or does the console crash, and if so what error does it give?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://i.imgur.com/n6qzGJx.jpg

It's able to load a cfg but it immediately crashes with default settings

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess what irritates me more than anything else is that wolfenstein: enemy territory and Quake Live both work perfectly fine. It's just Q3A, the game I'm trying to mod that doesn't. What's the real difference?

I downloaded the ati catalyst 10.4 atioglxx.dll and threw it in my Q3A folder according to a google groups message I read, but I'm just getting the GL subsystem error now. : (

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like I don't have the latest version of Catalyst. I installed 14 point something, and removed the dll. The new Catalyst version installs partway then gives an error and shuts down. The log is vague. Q3 now starts, but does not get past the Roq intro.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I had to downlodad Catalyst. 14.11 beta, or something like that in order to get it functioning again. Finally. I have 1.32c and the 3 mods I'm messing with work.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 04:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good news :up:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2015 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try to set the seta r_customwidth
And seta r_customhight
To something 1024 and 768 or whatever your screen is and seta r_fullscreen -1 and seta r_mode 0

In the game directory q3base folder q3config file

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 01-21-2016 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

laptopvia01 wrote:
Try to set the seta r_customwidth
And seta r_customhight
To something 1024 and 768 or whatever your screen is and seta r_fullscreen -1 and seta r_mode 0

In the game directory q3base folder q3config file

to use r_customwidth and r_customhight, you have to use r_mode to -1 no 0 :sly:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.