Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Is Quake III Dying? D:

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is Quake III Dying? D:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-17-2014 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my greatest fears of all time is Quake III being forgotten. What are your thoughts on Q3's "status" right now as far as popularity goes?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheats killed both :q3: and QL.

Want to play a game like Ultra Street Fighter IV, Gran Turismo 6, Soul Calibur V, where there are no cheats.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-12-2015 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is dead, it's a 15-year old game. The only thing they can do is make a new Quake, and not completely fail like they did with Quake Live. Here is what they need to do:
>>Single Player Campaign (have a good story too, but try to find a balance between story vs gameplay, and don't slow the player down to a snail's pace like Q4's campaign)
>>A quality skill matching system (lesser skilled players won't have an issue with the challenging gameplay as long as they're able to find an equal enough match, and once developed, it can be used for future games as well, and maybe even sold for extra profit. Maybe even have a matchmaking system like in console games.)
>>Better marketing and advertising (The main problem is that Quake is mostly unknown to today's generation of gamers, pretty much almost anyone under the age of 25. When's the last time you saw id Software make appearances at mainstream gaming conventions like E3 or PAX, and when's the last time you saw youtube or TV commercials entirely devoted to Quake?)
>>Have different weapons (Don't just copy and paste Quake 3's weapons like Quake 4 mostly did, with it's competitive mods being even worse at that. A lot of people play arena shooters for the creative, insane weapons.)
>>More varied game modes (Vanilla Quake 3 and Quake 4 only featured like 4 game modes I think, most of them being different variations of Deathmatch, kinda boring, people like variety these days)
>>Better Bots (With smarter AI and more varied skill levels so a person can practice even if they don't have friends to join them.)
>>Have a casual ruleset (For newbies and for those just looking to relax. But don't do what QL did and have it replace the game's core, that was horrible.)
>>Release games more often (Don't release games so sparsely, have one Quake game every 2-3 years or something like that, or whatever publicity you have will quickly begin to shift over to something else.)
>>Console release (To receive more publicity. Just have some aim assist and slightly slowed movement, but nothing TOO drastic, just make it playable with a controller at the very least.)
>>Hook up with a publisher (To get a higher budget.)
>>Go AAA (For obvious reasons.)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2015 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I miss Quake 3 :(
But do not fear: Gone but never forgotten =D
I can't believe Q3W is still around O_O

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-22-2015 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's hardly about Q3 anymore though.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CyAne wrote:

It has been an incredibly long time ago since I saw your nickname. I think you were a Beginner's Discussion regular, but I can't really remember anymore.

I still lurk at Q3W at times :paranoid:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-26-2015 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't seen an active server in Quake 3 since 2008 :(. I use to play vanilla and CPMA all the time.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 02:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
CyAne wrote:

It has been an incredibly long time ago since I saw your nickname. I think you were a Beginner's Discussion regular, but I can't really remember anymore.

I still lurk at Q3W at times :paranoid:

Yes, my last visit here was years ago. I remember you :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 02:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dirge Inferno wrote:
I haven't seen an active server in Quake 3 since 2008 :(. I use to play vanilla and CPMA all the time.

Is your internet plugged in? Seriously I still play it daily mainly because I love gibs verses the stupid sparks of Quakelive and there are still some fun servers out there.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-10-2015 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are plenty of servers up daily.

http://www.qtracker.com/

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 05-15-2015 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loadouts killed Live more than anything, to be honest. Id is dead.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 07-08-2015 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weirdly enough, there's still a fair amount of people still playing freezetag on v1.16n.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 10:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Weirdly enough, there's still a fair amount of people still playing freezetag on v1.16n.

Was floor damage still a thing in 1.16n?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-28-2015 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

even clanbase is gone :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-29-2015 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

Was floor damage still a thing in 1.16n?

Yeah they killed it with Team Arena (1.27)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 players come and go, particularly in Australia.

They come into 'already' setup servers, say "I'm ganna get this game played again", go off and rent a VPS, run a poorly configured service for a week, and then disappear completely (possibly got DDoS'ed and lost interest).

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 09-10-2015 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember using All Seeing Eye to get on servers. There was always a Quake 3 Demo server for people with presumably just the Quake 3 demo and always players on it even years after the full game was out. I wonder if that demo server is still around.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-20-2015 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Quake 3 Arena will remain one of the great (but simple) FPS of all gaming time.

I like its' simplicity: I use it to past time and relax.
I also like playing Bot matches to see how they do against one another.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With UT making a comeback, anything is possible.
But we do need a new quake. Player attrition will eventually kill Q3 without an injection of a new generation of players.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-24-2016 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3 is basically quakelive with user intuitive menus and awards system, a kamikaze and a flight.

I have new game feature ideas that'd make for a new quake, which doesnt rely on doom methods. No offense, but quake was born from the greatest nerds of my community, you know them today.

The Alpha and the Omega
The Alpha and the Omega
PostPosted: 05-21-2016 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I miss dominating Drunkards Railfest on 1.30, me and SqadUp. Clan OS (Ominous Syndicate). My most memorable match was a clan war, OS vs NBK, 4v4 on Q3DM17. I can't remember who won, lol. Good times!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-29-2016 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q3 may be dead, but geoff is still shitposting to this day... lol

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-21-2016 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its in the blood.
So quake3 servers are still active with games?? How many?? I havent had my cd in some time with pin, if quake continues as 3 behind scenes thatd be it there.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-26-2017 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Howdy
I hope it isn't totally dead, as I just got this urge to play again after many years.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 04-26-2017 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should definitely be able to find some players, I'd recommend qtracker for findings servers.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-20-2018 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The real reason why Quake3 (and the Quake3 community is dying). If the video doesnt work then just go to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghseDrbMr0

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-27-2021 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me and others still return to Quake III (and other quake games) because, i think, it really is a pinnacle of arena fps.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.