Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 internet servers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 internet servers

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-05-2015 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've been playing since about 2001 and I have yet to fully grasp exactly what's happening when you go to the multiplayer menu and look for 'internet' games.

Is there a master server node hosted at Id somewhere? Are there different master nodes world-wide? If/when these all die someday where will that leave us?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve wrote:
Is there a master server node hosted at Id somewhere?

Yes

VolumetricSteve wrote:
Are there different master nodes world-wide?

I think so, not all official id Software servers though. I think Quake 3 itself by default only polls the id Software master server though. If you want to use different master servers, then you need to change some cvars.

VolumetricSteve wrote:
If/when these all die someday where will that leave us?

With a server browser that does not report back any Internet servers.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
VolumetricSteve wrote:
Is there a master server node hosted at Id somewhere?

Yes

VolumetricSteve wrote:
Are there different master nodes world-wide?

I think so, not all official id Software servers though. I think Quake 3 itself by default only polls the id Software master server though. If you want to use different master servers, then you need to change some cvars.

VolumetricSteve wrote:
If/when these all die someday where will that leave us?

With a server browser that does not report back any Internet servers.

How does one set up one of these servers? If there are non-Id boxes out there hosting this data, can't the community make their own....ring?

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 07-08-2015 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specific address of the still active master servers?

I have these pulled from the config of a server I used to host years ago.
Code:
seta sv_master1            "master3.idsoftware.com"
seta sv_master2            "master.quake3arena.com"

Neither of these respond to ping requests, but that may be by design..

VolumetricSteve wrote:
If there are non-Id boxes out there hosting this data, can't the community make their own....ring?

I know it can be done, a few of the Dreamcast sites I still regular visit host their own master servers to separate the still online Dreamcast servers from the rest of the pool. Not sure what they're using to host these though.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-08-2015 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Internet browser can't load up these servers, instead it tries it in search engine - what design do you talk about?

I am afraid these servers are not running these days (why to keep it for such outdated game?), I think these are listed only for historical purposes and master servers are no longer needed to run your own server. I think you only need public IP address and public access to your server computer running the quake3 dedicated server or find a good host for your gaming server and set up the server you need.

Does anybody use Hamachi? I used it once when playing with friends, but we set up LAN server, not the Internet one. I do not know if Hamachi supports public access, if someone use it to run Internet dedicated server, tell me...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should also add a reference to the QTracker master server, it's one of the only working game server browsers that still work in the year 2015, and it also uses it's own MS :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.