Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Font and background animation of console

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Font and background animation of console

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-10-2015 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello there!

I'm using Guake in my ubuntu distro and I want to make it look just like the Q3 console. However, I cannot find the font that Q3 uses. It seems to be Verdana from the pak files, but it just looks ugly, not the same. Also, do you know how is the console background effect created? I imagine it is not a GIF. Any idea? :q3: <3

RaspAtan.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-10-2015 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All text in Quake 3 is a custom designed font. If you open the pak0.pk3 file using some ZIP tool (a pk3 file is basically a ZIP file with a different filename extension) and browse to \gfx\2d\bigchars.tga you'll get a TGA file with all the characters in there.

The console effect is done using a shader. In pak0.pk3 in \gfx\misc\ you'll find console01.tga and console02.jpg. These are the textures used in the console. The shader itself is located in \scripts\gfx.shader and is located at line 42 of the file.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.