Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Is it possible to port Q3TA weapons into Q3A?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is it possible to port Q3TA weapons into Q3A?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-17-2016 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to port the Q3TA weapons over to :q3:?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2016 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Technically, yes this can be done. It requires you to merge the Q3TA code changes related to the new weapons into the baseq3 code base and then move all assets over to a pk3 file that can be dropped into baseq3. One problem though... that last step is not legal. You are not allowed to redistribute Q3TA assets by yourself. So the only people being able to play your Q3/Q3TA blend will be people that already own Q3TA and they'll have to construct the PK3 file themselves.

I'm not entirely sure if there is a purpose to your supposed project though. None of the maps released for Quake 3 contain the Q3TA weapons :shrug:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-21-2016 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would be easy to include these weapons in the game's maps.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-09-2016 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The purpose for this would be to make the Q3TA maps fully playable in this :q3: and Q3TA hybrid.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-13-2016 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want to play Q3A & Q3TA hybrid, go to purchase Quake Live :up: It is up on Steam for some pretty fee to pay for installation. Just a reminder: Quake Live was free to play once upon a time, but id Software wanted to port it to Steam and Steam does not allow free to play games (maybe taxes for using Steam's services or just simple bussiness relationship?) That way I won't play Quake Live anymore, 'cause I am disgusted what creators of such first amazing free to play game could do for money >:(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-13-2016 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Steam does not allow free to play games (maybe taxes for using Steam's services or just simple bussiness relationship?) That way I won't play Quake Live anymore, 'cause I am disgusted what creators of such first amazing free to play game could do for money >:(

Wrong. There's plenty of free games on Steam. The reason you're asked to pay $10 for the game nowadays is to cover costs of development and hosting. Initially they wanted to generate revenue through in-game advertising but that just didn't take off.

To be honest, a one-time $10 fee for something like QL is a bargain. I'm disgusted that you are too cheap to spend the equivalent of a McDonalds menu on something as feature rich as QL. Besides, if you had an account prior to the Steam conversion, the game is free for you.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-14-2016 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
If you want to play Q3A & Q3TA hybrid, go to purchase Quake Live :up: It is up on Steam for some pretty fee to pay for installation. Just a reminder: Quake Live was free to play once upon a time, but id Software wanted to port it to Steam and Steam does not allow free to play games (maybe taxes for using Steam's services or just simple business relationship?) That way I won't play Quake Live anymore, 'cause I am disgusted what creators of such first amazing free to play game could do for money >:(

Team Fortress 2 is a free to play game on Steam. Why didn't they just do that?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-13-2016 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
If you want to play Q3A & Q3TA hybrid, go to purchase Quake Live :up: It is up on Steam for some pretty fee to pay for installation. Just a reminder: Quake Live was free to play once upon a time, but id Software wanted to port it to Steam and Steam does not allow free to play games (maybe taxes for using Steam's services or just simple bussiness relationship?) That way I won't play Quake Live anymore, 'cause I am disgusted what creators of such first amazing free to play game could do for money >:(

I already have Quake Live. My username up there is colton51919 (I think). Could be coltonsteam.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.