Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Restart Q3 service via RCON?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Restart Q3 service via RCON?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-25-2016 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there,

We know after a while of a Q3 service being online it tends to get bogged down resulting in Movers being jittery, Jump Pad animations stop etc, usually a manual restart of the Quake 3 instance will refresh it and it's good as new.

In the event of only having RCON access, not Root access to the box is it possible to perform a similar task for the service to be refreshed so that Movers etc become smooth again? similar to that of a client typing vid_restart to reload the graphics engine, but server to restart/or refresh instance.

To 'refresh' I have attempted:
- Re-executing the server's CFG
- Creating a new Logfile via RCON g_log "<name>"

Both did exactly what their meant too, however it didn't refresh, server continues to be stuttery/jittery.

Server Version: Q3 1.32

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-26-2016 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it may be required to restart whole engine (shut it down and start again). However, you will lose current session and disconnect all players from your server, so they will need to manually reconnect themselves. If you want to run a server for people, make sure to obtain strong machine in good condition and make sure it will keep its good condition most of the time. Also you have to make sure players will want to play your server day or night or just day or just in night. Also you will need to pay for Internet connection of public IP address, connection of a DNS machine to make your server visible in Internet and of course be prepared for higher bills for electricity usage, if you plan to use server at your home.

If you don't want to spend money for public IP address and DNS server connection and want to prevent such things happening all the time, I'd rather find some cloud gaming server, that supports Quake III Arena (Maverick Servers should still support that game) and purchase a hosting for your gaming server here. It should be a lot cheaper than running your own server on your own machine and may be a lot more stable, since they have many backup machines and very strong gaming machines, that are built specially for hosting gaming Internet servers.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-27-2016 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I think it may be required to restart whole engine (shut it down and start again).

Yeah that's about what I was thinking.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-27-2016 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So if you don't want to bother about these technical issues, you should really consider purchasing gaming server hosting. Try Maverick Servers (http://www.maverickservers.com/game_hosting.html). Quake III Arena is still in list of supported games.

This is current list of active servers locations:
Maverick Servers wrote:
San Jose, California, USA
Dallas, Texas, USA
Chicago, Illinois, USA
New York City, New York, USA
London, England, United Kingdom
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Frankfurt, Germany

One player slot is ranked by $0.25, with 10 slots (including server traffic and support fee) in total of $15.00. This is yet nice price for a gaming server. Remember rhat if you want to set up your very own physical server in your home, you will not only encourage technical issues (especially while electricity breakout planned or non-planned), but very much higher bills by raised electricity usage, by raised Internet traffic, fee for a public IP address for your server, fee for DNS server to make your server IP visible and connectable in Internet, fee for registration such server for legal public connection and so on. That way the price would be much higher than hosting. Visit the link I provided you and check out various configurations. There is a calculator that computes price for your own settings. 10 slots is minimum amount of players slots to be set.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-28-2016 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers for the information provided, I'm aware of Maverick's hosting services and the benefits of game/web hosting providers.

I actually run a dedicated box out of Sydney in Australia which provides various services and is closer to me.
I'm actually asking the question for self-interest rather than seeking an 'easier hosting solution'.

IOQ3 might have something and although I do run IOQ3, my curiosity is with IDQ3 and if it has such a feature for a October 2002 update (6Th May 2006 if you're running 1.32c).

It's simple to /rcon quit - would be grand if there was /rcon restart :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-28-2016 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know. I never really started an Internet server (even in localhost network only to testing purposes) and I don't know many server related commands and where to put them. If you start a dedicated server, you should see console of your server, which displays actual state of game, who grabs what item, who frags whom, who says what. You should be able to send messages and commands through this console. Or start new game instance and join this dedicated server instance by server finder inside the game and put rcon commands in game console here. However I do not know all the commands for server maintanance, so I can't help you in this manner :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.