Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake Live and Linux Ubuntu?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Live and Linux Ubuntu?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-25-2017 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello there. I actually plan buying Quake Live soon (I need to set up my debit card for online payment first), but I need to know: How's that with Quake Live and Linux Ubuntu compatiblity? As far as I know, it requires Direct X instead of OpenGL. Is it possible to install Microsoft's Direct X into Linux? Will it run under Linux? Or at least under Wine? Or do I have to use explicitely Windows?

Here's the deal: I'm tired of Windows. I'm tired of Windows 10 being super annoying with frequent updates without even asking, to be exact. So I want to replace my Windows 10 installation with Linux Ubuntu and move current Windows 10 installation into virtual machine to preserve access to non-Linux apps Wine incompatible (Adobe Photoshop, Visual Studio). Will Quake Live run under Linux natural kernel (or at least under Wine)? Or do I have to install it under Windows? Tell me, please.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-26-2017 05:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With the desktop client release, QL pretty much dropped Linux natively. It runs fine via Wine.

Or you can just get ioQuake3 and play that :P

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I purchased Quake Live already and just installed it (still using Windows, though), but Wine is fine, thank you :)

I decided to purchase Quake Live for mapping, to be able to move around, try out other maps by community from Steam Workshop, and convert my maps for Quake Live to cover larger base of Quake Arena style players. That's why I was asking for. As far as I know, Steam itself supports Linux with what's called Steam OS - what is it? Is it an addon for Linux?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SteamOS is just a Linux distro meant for Steambox gaming hardware. You can only run Linux compatible games on it.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll ask different way: can I install Steam on Linux Ubuntu? Yes or no? If yes, is Wine still required?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah you can install Steam natively on Linux. Just click the "also available for Linux" link under the green download button here:
http://store.steampowered.com/about/

But, again, just to be clear, you can only install Linux games then.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And Windows client will run under Wine?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 05:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess so, but I haven't got any experience with Steam on Linux (either natively or through Wine) myself.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 09:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sWhat I do on mac for windows steam games.

You'll probably need a wine install per game tho

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks like Quake Live through Steam is functional. Granted the most recent test was reported in 2016, but this was after it QL was brought to Steam and officially dropped linux support. I have installed Steam through Wine in the past with success, but never tested QL. The native Steam client for linux is very easy to install natively. I would assume with a Wine install of Steam, and a native you would have success.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31725

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nevermind. I'll keep my Windows installation and just hope nothing gets so wrong it will be unusable.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.