Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake III Arena & Linux Ubuntu 64bit

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena & Linux Ubuntu 64bit

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I download point release 1.32 for linux (x86 architecture), and try to install it on my Ubuntu 64bit machine (dual boot with Windows 10 64bit), it fails the installation, saying unsupported architecture. From what I know, 64bit OS should support 32bit applications, even installation. So why it doesn't work?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 07:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, so I needed to install 32bit compatible libraries in order to run 32bit install and install additional 32bit compatible libraries in order to run the game. The game now runs, but sound doesn't work, unfortunately. This is bad and needs to be fixed. Do I miss OpenAL libraries?

From what I know, my sound card support sound output using 32bit application on a 64bit architecture. It just doesn't really matter which architecture runs on the machine, and whenever a 64bit OS runs a 32bit application in compatibility mode, using 32bit compatible libraries. Windows 32bit apps can run sound easily on my Windows 10 64bit machine, which also hosts Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit in dual boot. E.g. Audacity Windows 32bit app works sound output, so I know it should work. So why it doesn't in Ubuntu?

EDIT:
Team Arena seems to be lacking any textures. BaseQ3 is good, but Team Arena is completely empty, I can't even shut it down properly using GUI since there isn't any GUI. Well, there is an invisible GUI, I can click buttons, but it simply doesn't work. I won't access maps, I won't access anything. I was able to shut down the game only using quit command. No system shortcuts work, I can't even access Launcher, it just doesn't let me out. Only commands.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-22-2019 04:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just use ioQuake instead of the point release binaries.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-24-2019 02:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eukara wrote:
Just use ioQuake instead of the point release binaries.

Maybe you're right. But I already managed to run Quake 3 on Windows 10. Turned out that the issue it failed to load OpenGL was in incorrect resolution. I've copied the game installation folder from desktop without any change in config and didn't realize that my viewport on laptop is quite smaller than on desktop (well, sort of - on desktop, I have standard sort of 4:3 aspect ratio, with 1260x1024 pixels resolution SVGA viewport; on laptop, I have a 16:9 widescreen viewport with resolution of 1366x768 pixels) - I have resolution settings maxed out on desktop - so you see where is an issue.

Sound works correctly, even Team Arena works correctly, very good. The only issue I have is with cinematics. They stutter an basically I do not see anything during cinematics. With TA, it's even worse. The main menu screen stutters for a while, so I have to wait until things settle down... Other than that, it works like a charm!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-31-2019 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We're not running Windows 9x systems anymore where we could change the gamma ramp to get overbright lighting working properly :)

ioQuake3 fixes this issue, as well as many others. While I'd usually stick to the original binaries for authenticity in other games, using the original Q3 binaries on modern systems means the game doesn't look like it's intended to. That's why it messes with the brightness in the beginning and most systems don't cope with it properly

That's why I'd recommend getting ioQuake3, not because it's adding fancy graphical effects, but because it's the only way to experience the proper lighting model

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-06-2019 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me, ioQuake3 executable caused more issues than it fixed, actually. The screen was too dark, and I couldn't use numpad at all. And because I'm using Czech keyboard, the upper keys do not write numbers as you might expect without Shift. Instead, it writes diacritic letters.

And because I have ioQuake3 binaries installed, menu doesn't get squished.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.