Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Can I have a game start without the players being ready?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Can I have a game start without the players being ready?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-23-2018 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So in a couple weeks I'm going to be setting up some games for folks to play at a gaming convention. This year I want to include Quake 3 in the mix, but I'm not as familiar with Quake 3 as I could be.

First of all I want to clarify the basic set up. This is going to be at a convention, and I'm going to have several computers set up running Quake 3 (and other games) that people can just sit down at and start playing. The game is running all day and people can just come and go as they please. I'm probably going to have four stations set up for Quake 3. A lot of the people playing will be completely unfamiliar with the game.

The biggest problem I've come across is that when a match ends, the next one won't start until all human players signal that they are ready (and nothing is really suggesting this to the players.) So this means if there are stations where no one is sitting there, the game will just wait forever until someone else clicks the mouse button for that station.
Is there any way to make it so this doesn't need to happen? So that the next match will automatically start after say ten seconds, whether people are ready or not? Or at the very least, once anyone hits a button, like in Quake 1 and Quake 2?

I suppose I could leave the game sitting on the multiplayer screen, and people could just click "fight" when they sit down, but I'd like to avoid this. It would require more babysitting of the stations. If someone leaves I have to have them leave the arena, and if someone is new to Quake 3 I have to tell them how to start. I want to let people just sit down and play.

And this one is a bit of a longshot, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Does the game have any option to let people start in a spectator mode? So when someone isn't playing they are just a spectator and the game will add a bot in place of the lack of human players? I'd like a better solution for when there isn't someone playing, rather than having a guy just standing around in the arena doing nothing.

Also, how do I set the bot difficulty in my server.cfg file? I've got "bot_minplayers" for each map so I can have more on the bigger maps, but I'd like to turn their difficulty down since most people will be new to the game. I'm also wondering if it is possible to turn off the bot chatter.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.