Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Wanna run Quake 3 on Quake 1?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Wanna run Quake 3 on Quake 1?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-14-2022 10:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure, why not? It's 2022, and Q1 can identify as Q3 now if it feels like it, you shitlord.

This is extremely cursed, but to my surprise works better than expected. Do these things:

1. Download the Quake 1 FTE client and unzip to a folder
2. Drag your pak0-pak8.pk3 into the /id1/ subdirectory
3. Grab a copy of the darkplaces mod (note mod, not engine).
4. Unpack it and then drag all it's content into the id1 folder
5. Run the fte quake executable
6. Experience slightly scuffed but functional q3 somehow

Configs work. Video settings mostly work. Custom maps work. Custom mods work. I doubt multiplayer works but at this point I'm too scared to try.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 09-22-2022 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welp, I have to try this out, for science.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-22-2022 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, sure, nice, fancy and all that. But.... why?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-10-2022 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Ok, sure, nice, fancy and all that. But.... why?

Because. :smirk:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-10-2022 02:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rexuiz and Xonotic are the ones using a heavily modified Q1 engine called DarkPlaces. Nowadays, Xonotic is trying to fit some Quake Live HUD aesthetics and bring Q3 compatibility.

Not sure if this enrolls the topic, but Q3 assets could be placed into Q1 game, even depends on the engine.
Q3 models are md3 file format and doesn't contain bones to rig, it would need work to convert into IQM for compatibility sake.

As for mods, you can use Xonotic or Rexuiz as a template, but keep in mind that programming is different.
Xonotic uses macro functions to make development easier. See here one of my written articles in the Xonotic development wiki: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wi ... in-Xonotic
Rexuiz is, more or less, like a classic QuakeC calling functions within some files.

It won't be the QuakeC that was used in idtech 1.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.