Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        SCHÖNA [ALPHA 4]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: SCHÖNA [ALPHA 4]

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 08:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZQ3TOURNEY1 - SCHÖNA
Alpha 4 Download and Screenshots
One small map is growing up on my hard drive. Alpha 4 is up to be downloaded and tested.

Download
PK3 : (584 kB)
ZIP : (584 kB)

Screenshots are in last post.

Last edited by CZghost on 07-06-2015 06:17 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you want a good answer, you should post up the map for us to run around in. I can't really tell what the map is like from those shots since its all using the same texture

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's CZghost so it'll never come to that

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, will complete lights if anything missed, compile and let you run the map :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah just throw a few lights in to give the map a bit depth and put a download up. doesnt matter how rough it looks. My maps look no better lol

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Download is up. In the main atrium there should be something definitely, just don't know what...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks promising so far.

Few points:

I know its still early and this will probably change anyway, but I would seperate the RA and MH. Having them right next to each other isnt very ballanced.

The elevator that takes you up to the top should be replaced with a jump pad.

I know its still early, but there should be another large area. Or at least have multiple connecting corridoors going around the main room. At the moment there is not alot of places to go, other than the main room.

Definitely continue. The brushwork looks nice and clean.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay. I will try to move MH on the ground and replace RA with YA (to increase possibility of risk and improve balance). I can try to add jump-down hole in the PG area leading to new large area, only a bit smaller than the main courtyard (atrium)...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That lift is a bit too slow for my tastes. A jumppad would be better I think, although the height difference is a bit large. I'd also put something more worthwhile up there than a PG.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That lift is a bit too slow for my tastes. A jumppad would be better I think, although the height difference is a bit large. I'd also put something more worthwhile up there than a PG.

with the window being up there, a railgun would probably be a good choice.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, add some more Areas!
If you want send me a copy of your *.map file, i have some Ideas. :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very bland

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Very bland

maybe because it isn't finished....?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-29-2015 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Very bland

Now it's about layout mostly, do not look at the textures, they're there only to make the layout visible.

AndyW wrote:
Yeah, add some more Areas!
If you want send me a copy of your *.map file, i have some Ideas. :)

If you take screenshots, make some marks and describe what would you like, it would be enough to tell. If you feel not, then I will send you the map file :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-29-2015 02:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tested your map. The very first thing which I faced is the map size.
Could you make it even more bigger, and more complex (in vertical and horizontal plane)?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-29-2015 03:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can. I wrote two reviews for Stargate map pack and Goldleaf on lvlworld.com, so I jump to developing this one now :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-29-2015 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Screenshots Alpha 2:

Main courtyard with Megahealth placed down.

Red Armor moved here, shootable grates allow some risk from above.

An attempt to make slide down tunnel, maybe I should replace it with something little else.

Plasmagun replaced with Railgun (Cells by Slugs as well), digged an entry.

Launchramp with Shotgun leading to powerup.

Yellow Armor at teleport exit.

Download is in first post.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-10-2015 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see there's no feedback. So I am moving it in the freeze now. I am working on testing projects aside - one from the real world (our backyard) and one terrain map for Team Arena (again)...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-10-2015 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rolleyes:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2015 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I am moving it in the freeze now.

How surprising :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2015 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously though: CZghost, one of the most important virtues in life (especially in professional life, you know, when you have a real job with real responsibilities) is the ability to actually finish something.

Starting is never hard, it's actually finishing that's the tricky part. It's also the most satisfying part though, and it'll really do your ego good to be able to show something and say "hey, this is finished and it's exactly how I want it to be", even if there's no one that gives you feedback. For your own personal self you'll have proven that you've got what it takes to finish something.

That also echoes through in how people treat you. Any idea why people aren't overly enthusiastic to give you feedback? Not because your map isn't as impressive looking as Pat Howard's work but because people feel that their feedback is falling on deaf ears. When people give feedback or tips to Pat or AndyW or AndehX with his Q1 remakes they know the authors are listening and possibly even taking the tips to heart which will eventually result in a better map that they might actually get to play.

With you though, we can give all the feedback we like, but it's very likely that the map never sees the light of day at all so giving the feedback has been a wasted effort. Once again you prove this is true. It's a shame, I'd really like to see you succeed for once and actually release a map. It's been years now man.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2015 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll draw new layout corresponding to the last existing one with some changes and more complexicity in heights and size. Anyway, it's not important thing, actualy I have to improve in school.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-07-2015 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a very little time to update, but I reworked the additional area at least. I returned basic layout back to alpha 1 with minor change in the railgun area (it was plasmagun area before update) that takes it by jumppad through a staircase. It's one-way-flow hallway, you can't make it backwards without being hurt. Anyway, there's a teleport that means exit from the jail-like room... The second big area from A2 was moved to the opposite side and has completely reworked layout, now it's connecting through lower-teleport room with a pathway to railgun and by jumppad it's possible to reach shotgun platform holding launchramp that sends player towards powerup spawning place. I made at least the new layout with very few items, no lights here. As I said, I have very little time. Screenshots from editor, I will place in-game shots after finishing the update.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-07-2015 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Without textures, this does not show too much for me. Could you post a compiled map?
Why do you use so many botroam (on the stairs at the last shot) on the same place?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-09-2015 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:
Without textures, this does not show too much for me. Could you post a compiled map?

Actualy, textures do not take a place right now as it is still in alpha version that focus on layout and gameplay. I can't post compiled map right now, this version is not finished yet and I said I have very little time to update...

Martinus wrote:
Why do you use so many botroam (on the stairs at the last shot) on the same place?

If you mean it's unneccessary to have that botroams on stairs, I will remove some, but I would like to keep some there (not only one) to make sure bots take the stairs. If bots do not route somewhere for some reason, I would probably include botroam also there...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-09-2015 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want to interest an area for bots, place there ONE botroam, then set the "weight" key (0-400, good values are between 100-300) :up:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-23-2015 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alpha 3 is up now. I did not include bot support yet, I am looking for scaling, layout and item placement feedback the most.

If you like, you can set up a server to test online gameplay. Also, tell me whatever to include bot support or not yet, and tell me if I should start designing visuals and prepare for moving into beta or wait with texturing and detailing...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-23-2015 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's still small a bit for me.
I see some empty places and walls were you could put something interesting (doorways or platforms) to improve your map.

That little "health column" is a bit familiar to me... I might sure, I saw that somewhere else, but I don't know where! :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-24-2015 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It might be Tresspass by Pat :) Yes, I am inspired by Pat's work, so I might take some ideas from him - anyway - it's not copying as the surrounding is from scratch... I just liked the Pat's idea having a column with health on it and ported that in my map... Anyway, I'd add some visuals to the bare walls to make them less boring, but after the map will improve enough to start bother about the visuals. I might add some sidewalks behind the wall here with doors, just need some inspiration :) Anyway, it's a tournament map, which has to be small as it may hold two players only by default. Sure it can be played as classic deathmatch with up to four players...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-25-2015 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The main atrium with the MH is a bit big for my eye.
You're are going to have a big problem detailing that. I guess it's scaled that way because of the stairs. I'd dump the stairs, because they are too steep, and far too many! This would enable you to reduce the long lines of sight in that area.
At the lower level, the passage ways are tight and labyrinthine. I'd think of a way to open these up.
The other atrium seems lacking thought. A series of gimmicks really.
I don't really understand the point of the lava pool. If you have some awesome extraneous detail in mind, then that's fine. I like pointless extraneous detail. If you don't, than that area is pretty pointless. No one likes traps, especially when they don't work.
It's a start. Keep going.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-26-2015 09:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, so I will make the MH atrium smaller and remove stairs - replace them with jumppad. Then how to deal with the bare wall? Well, new corridor connecting with the second atrium. Enlarge tiny corridors a bit and make them less about being lost. I think I will replace the lava pit by a fog pit, but I do it maybe during visuals - think of a cavement void...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-27-2015 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Alpha 3 is up now. I did not include bot support yet, I am looking for scaling, layout and item placement feedback the most.

If you like, you can set up a server to test online gameplay. Also, tell me whatever to include bot support or not yet, and tell me if I should start designing visuals and prepare for moving into beta or wait with texturing and detailing...

Put something on that wall wich is in front of the camera. That wall is just too empty.
There should be a doorway or hallway in my opinion.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 03:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Martinus: Well, this is the one that is disscussed there at the moment - I might add some sidewalks behind the wall. Maybe there will be some stairs and jumppad at the other side. Should I keep the fireplace? Should I place something below it? New doors?

Anyway I think about mix of natural cavements with high-tech features in visuals. And I might name the map temporarily Schöna (I was recently in eastern Germany - Sachsen, and I think it's nice name for a map)...

So I will jump to making such edits and see you with new version :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In my optinion:

Put on that empty wall a hallway, which ended in another bigger area. Connect that new area to where the lava with a jumpad is.
You will increase the size of your map, and keep it in tourney size as well! :up:

Absolutely keep that fireplace. Everything like that could improve your maps looking. You should add more visulas to your map (in the future)

I can imagine a pit, or downstair at where the megahealt is (like a similar way in q3dm7 where the red armor is).
That can add more complexity to your map

...in my opinion!

I hope I helped you with my opinions! :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am afraid that even now it's quite bigger than average tournament map is. As I said, I can add a sidewalk behind the wall, as you adviced it can be extended to the jumppad area, but I'd not add another large area, maybe some medium sized room belong the sidewalk. Thank you for the pit idea, player will be protected a bit from longlength sight grabbing MH, but still be vulnerable from above :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.