Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        a curiosity ! -interesting old prototype console

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: a curiosity ! -interesting old prototype console

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More like video game history. Sony and Nintendo were briefly partners but Nintendo pissed off Sony which resulted in them splitting and Sony going on to make the PlayStation instead.

It really was a good thing to happen though as it really diversified the gaming industry.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, instead if having a choice between 2 consoles we now have... Fuck

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not exactly true, we've got 3 big names a few smaller ones with more on the way and then the PC crowd and the android/iphone market.

Back then you had Nintendo and Sega and Nintendo was clearly miles ahead in terms of tech. Jaguar and the Neo Geo were ludicrously expensive and unattainable for most so never took hold.

If nintendo and Sony had merged I think Nintendo would still be top dog today and would be eating up any competition which would suck because we'd all be stuck playing kid games with the odd gem here and there.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well the smart phone helped diversify the mobile gaming market but really there's only a choice between 2 consoles today, PC market was around the same time as Playstation and Nintendo hasn't really been relevant since the Gaycube.

I think its more a case of the PS1 being so good that it put SEGA and Nintendo on the backfoot and so big that anyone else other than the likes of a Microsoft couldn't enter the competition :shrug:

Before the Playstation there was a few consoles that failed, don't see much of that anymore ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nintendo irrevelant after the GameCube? Yeah, except for the the Wii being the best selling console of its generation and the Nintendo DS sharing the top spot with PS2 for best selling games platform ever.

Rumours of Nintendo's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In terms of consoles that mattered, aye

The Wii was to Nintendo what the Genesis was to SEGA. They flogged a dead horse.

The mobile gaming market has always been dominated by Nintendo until the rise of the smart phone, they ain't going nowhere but they havn't been anywhere near the driving force in games since probably before the cube.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nintendo irrevelant after the GameCube? Yeah, except for the the Wii being the best selling console of its generation and the Nintendo DS sharing the top spot with PS2 for best selling games platform ever.

Rumours of Nintendo's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

i havnt heard rumors but i get a feeling it has lost self confidence and have become dependent on external sources for opinions .

the whole meebo thing? come on.

my 4 person family like the minigames on the mario party games and the wii party and wii partyU games.

the newest mario party is an absolute turd.

i cannot patiently sit threw endless pointless repetitive cut scenes so i can senselessly spack'n'shake my controller until a seemingly random outcome occurs!

its madness i say! we played it once and we were mortified for nintendo.

so many blue chip licensed properties being mistreated!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The thing is if Nintendo done what Sony and MS did and basically copied each others hardware I think they would've done alright because of the IPs they own.

I think I made a similar arguement for SEGA if they wanted to re enter the market.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-04-2015 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
If nintendo and Sony had merged I think Nintendo would still be top dog today and would be eating up any competition which would suck because we'd all be stuck playing kid games with the odd gem here and there.

Super Gem Fighter!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn30nXTf1X0

Btw: Old! (2009)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/the- ... station-1/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-04-2015 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I read about this the other day - wonderful find :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-05-2015 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
The thing is if Nintendo done what Sony and MS did and basically copied each others hardware I think they would've done alright because of the IPs they own.

I think I made a similar arguement for SEGA if they wanted to re enter the market.

Nah, read about Nintendo's blue ocean strategy with the Wii. There was no way they were going to compete with Sony and MS on hardware horsepower alone, even though they have unique IP.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.