Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Notch just bought a $70 million dollar (a record) Beverly Hills Mansion of 23,000 square feet

Lol poor ppl...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-19-2014 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Notch just bought a $70 million dollar (a record) Beverly Hills Mansion of 23,000 square feet

yeesh that's horrid (video of the place in link)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... for-usd70m

:down:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-19-2014 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder if he got earthquake insurance :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-19-2014 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
you ordered books? :/

there's shitloads on youtube etc

Sometimes hard covers are called for and it is Christmas. You never know, they will probably be collectable in the future.

Still mining deep :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-04-2015 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I report for your information: I finally found that elusive emerald stone. I happened across it in a deep excavation after raiding an Inca temple. Now I have found and plundered these temples before. One or two I think. On my last one I entered it was booby trapped :explosion:

On entering this time I saw the 'plate' on the centre of the floor and started digging carefully around it to see then mine TNT.

I am trying to avoid the manuals but I better read up on those 9 TNT packs I am now carrying about :alert: oh, and my horizontal deep tunnel is over 6k bricks long but has that handy powered rail :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you started this thread nearly 5 years ago and you're only just now playing?

i can't help thinking this game has jumped the shark in terms of updates. M$ should start pressuring Mojang to start MC2 in C+ (so it doesn't run so much like warm shit) and this time have a plan that doesn't involve pig saddles and armour stands

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I should fire up terraria again, but I know it'll probably sink another crapola load of hours of my time :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 10:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like a poor mans Minecraft :/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I came to the surface and started to build a railway in the sky heading back home. I should have enough material :confused:

Yes, I had to return to that storehouse again down deep but the trip is getting longer (as you'd appreciate).

Crossed many deep ocean (careful to 'hang on')... Found a couple of (AI) settlements where I have to go back and grab the TNT (plunder their tombs). The rail in the sky looks fantastic and the sights :eek:

Bummer. I ran out of cobblestone and yes I could mine for some more but the diamond pickaxe is looking a little weary. It is only about 1k home. Hmmm, it might be easier to cross that deep ocean again.. Off. Heading for grid -26 69 -64. Thank goodness I can navigate.

TLDR :arrow: Lovely feeling of accomplishment on arriving on home turf after a night swim across the deep ocean.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2015 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rofl

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-06-2015 07:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
My crafting shop, at the base of the frost tower :owned: :

Out of shot is a basement panic room, complete with lava traps, teleporter and easy collection of loot from whatever blood moon, pirate invasion, solar eclipse or whatever may bring. Aye, I'm bloody cautious of it, having clocked up 400 odd hours between 1.1 and a while after 1.2 (granted though, that was hosting a server too).

Jesus... I own that game and I might have put 30 minutes of my time into it...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-06-2015 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Looks like a poor mans Minecraft :/

it's basically 2D modded MC (i.e. it has more 'stuff', like modded MC - Feed the Beast, Tekkit, Voltz etc), but Terraria players will insist that it isn't, even though it really is

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-13-2015 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I stopped building the underground mine railway (redstone powered) at 7k blocks. Doing a little housework to cleanup those dumps/chests of stuff I left on the way.

My rail in the sky (yet to be extended) is coming on nicely. It should be a good tourist visual when done. Shades of The Rocky Mountaineer,

Just trying to decide whether to go coal or redstone powered. The Redstone option will need lots of accelerator points as you'd appreciate and in the deep ocean it's a risky business adding them :smirk:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-13-2015 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go redstone

i'm not even sure that coal-powered thing even works. never seen anyone ever use it. ever

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-15-2015 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just went constructed another 500 blocks to get the end of my elevated rail out of the 'deep ocean' and onto dry land. While building I saw a strange Atlantian structure under the water some distance from my rail.

Image Image Image
I started my archeological dig by dropping heaps of sand around (then dig it out as you know to displace the water) after a quick (on the water) cobblestone path build.

I have to go back later and really check this place out :D as I have to do a couple of chores (with a beer in hand)

Question: Anyone else discovered these structures? Hints welcome.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-15-2015 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's really quite cool!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-16-2015 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
While building I saw a strange Atlantian structure under the water some distance from my rail.

that's an Ocean Monument: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ocean_monument

they're full of giant one-eyed squid things that shoot frickin laser beams that fuck you up

you can even farm the Guardians that spawn in them, if you've got a few weeks to spare :smirk:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-16-2015 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Memphis wrote:
My crafting shop, at the base of the frost tower :owned: :

[lvlshot]-[lvlshot]

Out of shot is a basement panic room, complete with lava traps, teleporter and easy collection of loot from whatever blood moon, pirate invasion, solar eclipse or whatever may bring. Aye, I'm bloody cautious of it, having clocked up 400 odd hours between 1.1 and a while after 1.2 (granted though, that was hosting a server too).

Jesus... I own that game...

Yea, yea.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-16-2015 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just found another underwater structure close to the previous Atlantis.
From the looks it has a Roman/Greek temple appearance. Check it out :eek:

I marked with a couple of torches on the side of my railway and will come back later to investigate.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-17-2015 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madness - this game constantly boggles my mind

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-17-2015 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... Minecraft is weird as fuck. Hence why it is so fucking addictive.

Anyone ever tried this one?
http://game.notch.net/drowning/

A bit existential / depressing.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-17-2015 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
that's an Ocean Monument: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ocean_monument

they're full of giant one-eyed squid things that shoot frickin laser beams that fuck you up

you can even farm the Guardians that spawn in them, if you've got a few weeks to spare :smirk:

[flash]

Thank you seremtan for the info link :up: and as above I am just appreciating how complex (pun) this game can be. I now have to read up on sponges and figure it's going to take lots & lots of sand to encase the area before digging to reveal the prize.

Googles 'how to uncover minecraft ocean monuments' to discover... :eek: :eek:

Quote:
Things you might or will need when entering an ocean monument:

Potion of water breathing (essential, bring at least 4)
Potion of night vision (optional, but very useful; bring at least 2)
Splash potion of healing (optional, but good for quick healing, bring at least 3)
Splash potion of regeneration (optional, but helps a lot while fighting guardians and elder guardians, bring at least 1)
Potion of strength (optional, but very helpful when fighting guardians and elder guardians, bring at least 2)
Enchanted diamond armor (good enchantments include Respiration, Aqua Affinity, Protection, and Depth Strider)
Fairly large amount of food
A diamond sword enchanted with at least Sharpness I
Bow (not really needed, because arrows will slow down when shot underwater)
Iron or diamond pickaxe (essential, if you want to get the blocks of gold in the monument, should be enchanted with at least efficiency II if you plan to mine with mining fatigue)
Milk (optional, but can get rid of the mining fatigue effect for a few seconds)
Sponge (optional, but can create an emergency air pocket)
3 or more doors (optional, but useful for creating an air pocket and a quick shield)

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 01-18-2015 12:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-17-2015 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no mention of the most useful potion in a guardian temple: invisibility

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-18-2015 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus...I just like digging :paranoid:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2015 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cave exploration's where it's at

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-18-2015 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Code:
Release   Date           Days between release
1          11/8/2011     
1.1        1/12/2012     65
1.2        3/1/2012      49
1.3        8/1/2012      153
1.4        10/25/2012    85
1.5        3/13/2013     139
1.6        7/1/2013      110
1.7        10/25/2013    116
1.8        9/2/2014      312
1.9        ??            ??

Remember in alpha... when Notch released an update every week? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-19-2015 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure you can make a list of increasing intervals between updates for every piece of software out there. It's just a natural progress of things. Early on in development, there's relatively many critical bugs that need to be fixed and probably lots of ideas for new features to implement. As time progresses, the bugs get fixed, the obvious new features get implemented and it just takes longer to come to a point where it's useful to put out a new update. Additionally, resources probably get pulled from the project and put on something else to help out there, further slowing down development.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-19-2015 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NO. it's because he fucking SOLD OUT and doesn't care about the community only about the DOLLA DOLLA BILLS cause he's such a SELLOUT.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-19-2015 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
Remember in alpha... when Notch released an update every week? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

it isn't the update intervals that count, it's the content that comes with each update - and that content recently has been 50% good, 50% wank

the MC2 hype train starts here

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-19-2015 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah apparently the source code is a big pile of mud....

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... 124#c43757

Years ago when they became serious about modding should have been the time they seriously refactored or started from scratch. Probably too big to take on now.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-20-2015 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

handed noticed that, but then the last time i played MC was a 1.6 FTB pack

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-25-2015 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I have to report today I mined 4 sponges in that underwater temple :up: after surrounding it with thousands of sand blocks taking days. Mining ever so carefully there and taking brief underwater swims without the aid of potions or enchantments I have seen mentioned.

Off now back home to a furnace to experiment with these sponge things as I have heard they suck up lots of water :D :D

Hey, I didn't tell you about those cats and their kittens. They are easily trapped for what?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-26-2015 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the man going to St Yves

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-26-2015 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

God damn it - I want a moggie

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-26-2015 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
For the man going to St Yves

or St Ives, even

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.