Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Starting Quake Mapping - Link Resources

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-28-2010 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would like to propose my own mapping forum for the list. It's in German, but I think I'm not the only one with German as his mother tongue who's reading the list ;) The main site is here, the tutorials subforum can be found there.

EDIT: The forum no longer exists. All tutorials have been moved to my blog.

Last edited by DaEngineer on 09-25-2011 07:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-31-2010 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did some major fixes/changes where needed, mass pruning of the thread of all non link-related material. Incorporated links that were later listed, the ones that are still listed are ones I haven't gotten to yet.

Let's try and keep to only posting links please. If please doesn't work and you post garbage, I will nuke your post.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-18-2010 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 07-12-2010 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Bliccer, I will get to finishing editing this thread sometime soon I hope, and will add that to the list.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-11-2010 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well you could also add the models of q3a.ath.cx to the models section.

I found this: http://www.webalice.it/bancala/files_easygen.htm
And I think Terragen is missing, no?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks to Internet Archive, I found a link to the ik2k texture pack! (In fact, it's more "deduced the link from other sources" but... yeah!)

IK2k texture pack by Iikka "Fingers" Keränen:
http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx ... k_full.zip

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-15-2011 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

look up, my old post is STILL there.... is anyone working on this thread ever? i volunteer

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-16-2011 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a small list of links here: http://cityy.explicits.de/?page=q3links

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-16-2011 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For those of you that map for CTF, it may be useful.

http://www.dghost.com/quake-3/threewave ... quirements

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 12-31-2011 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is missing from tools section
http://quark.sourceforge.net/

and wadfather moved site:
http://wadfather.mr-gibs.com/
but its malfunctioning

this is interesting, another renderer..
http://www.gameversity.com/index.php?ac ... orial&id=8

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi

I know this is 2012, but I was wondering if anyone started a modern compilation/archive of the Quake 3 artist textures from the glory days. I skimmed over the links and I noticed the vast majority are now dead, which is a bit saddening to me because a lot of those texture works were good stuff that I used (and gave credit to) during my editing days. It seems only few resources, like SimonOC and evillair are still ticking, but the planetgamespy hosted webs are now gone (or are they?) along with their associated fileplanet download links. Would it be wrong to archive/upload texture pacts without the artist permission (but giving credit of course) for downloading posterity and future level-editing endeavors? Essentially like a directory listing copies of texture pacts that can no longer be downloaded that can be downloaded, for non-commercial use.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gamespy/Fileplanet blew a fart and decided to stop hosting sites (including Quake3World, we had to get intervention from id Software to secure the domain and cloned to our own server). As a result, a lot of Q3 resources were blatantly killed off and lost unless the artist has their own site for hosting (i.e. Sock/Evillair).

The commonly used license for almost all texture packs allow for electronic distribution with attribution, so it's not usually an issue to upload them somewhere for download.

If you have a large collection of stuff that needs archiving, I have a large amount of storage available. Or you can get in contact with the people running Worldspawn Archives or LvL and see if they are willing to host it.

Cheers.

P.S. Curious, did you used to post here way back when? Perhaps under a different name?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-12-2012 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I frequented another Quake3 editing site that bite the dust many years ago. I think it was Map-Craft....?

I'm kicking myself for not d/ling many of the texture packs before the sites went down. I guess it's lucky that sites like LvL is still going, and a lot of those textures were put to use. I don't have a strong collection, but I have a few smaller sets.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-12-2012 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still have a copy of the ik2k texture pack if you guys want it.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-24-2013 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We Make Maps is apparently going away.

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 03/21/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone else got most of this side models http://www.wemakemaps.com/

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

post some models i found have post later a couple, 3skullslight crucified imperium mrctele bloodstone o3-angel odium poisonstone storch ts-torch01 wallportal all in 1 rar pw 989 http://www.mediafire.com/?j34ens4pr2lzggr

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree with Echoman, we should create a website to put any kind of useful content that could disappear, maps, textures, tutorials ... Or just make regular backups of entire pages with files and make them accessible from a web, which reminds me that there is the wayback machine, but i dont know if it would be better to have a dedicated web.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

post more models i have at my quake 3 files . atlantis,bfp,cityhall,drola,el_tele,fountainhead,GR_trees,imperium,o3-angel,satellite,spotlamp,telestecki,televised,vault,zeus all in 1 rar pw989 http://www.mediafire.com/?h56cbg0kay2c5ga

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-06-2013 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got in touch with Bill Brooks, he has the wemakemaps site backed up and will transfer it to me so I can host it. It will take some time since he's rather busy with his own stuff at the moment. At least we can all rest assured that we have everything archived and will be available in the future.

Someone poke me in a couple of months from now in case we (Bill and I) both forget about this.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/me pokes!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Syphonfilter .... I know it's over two years since you posted those rar files... But thank you so much for doing so. I'd lost quite a few of those after a hard disk crash.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What happened to cityy's sites? They're not working!

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just moved to a new host. I'm working on getting all my LD stuff back up but it's progressing rather slowly.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, looking forward complete migration :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-23-2015 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just been in the attic and came across a old Mapping files CD. There's a ton of prefabs and md3 model zip files on the disk, most of which were sourced at Bill Brooks' old mapping website. As well as some md3s which I thought had been lost to the net for ever.

Anyways, thought I'd zip them up and put them on drop box in case anyone wants any of them.

Link:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/l14t9bjyngh5lp6/prefabs.zip?dl=0 22MB Zipped

Here's a list of the contents:-

Zip files marked with !* contain models seen in my first map "Steep Learning Curve"

3skullslight.zip
angel.ZIP <<-- !*
arch9744.zip
Atlantis.zip
bfp_gothlight.zip
Bloc9491.zip
bloodstone.zip
bubbas_spiral_staircase.zip
ca_recreation_pack.zip
Cast1970.zip
Cast5129.zip
celtic_cross.zip <<-- !*
cn_trees.zip
coffin.zip
crow.zip
curv1039.zip
curv1948.zip
eagleban.zip
el_generator.zip
el_jumpp.zip
el_jumpp_xtraskins.zip
el_tele.zip <<-- !*
el_wlight.zip
finko_ceil_light1.zip
flame.zip
flameholder.zip
geit_models1.zip
glasstut.zip
goth_lamp_mapobject.zip
gothlamp.zip
Gr_trees.zip
horned.zip
impaled_skel.zip <<-- !*
ka_light.zip
ls_lamp.zip
mapmd3-elspawn.zip
mapmd3-wmlight.zip
mapmdl-andsword.zip
mapmdl-case01.zip
mapmdl-case02.zip
mapmdl-dissonnance.zip
mapmdl-evil_egg.zip
mapmdl-fountainhead.zip
mapmdl-griffin.zip
mapmdl-pharao.zip
mapmdl-ts-torch01.zip <<-- !*
mapmdl-urgach.zip
mapmdl-yeoldtorch.zip
mapobject_egyptlamp.zip
mapobjects_tombstones.zip
md3-critterpak.zip
md3-egypt.zip
md3_Oak-tree.zip <<-- !*
md3_lensflare.zip
multiplant.zip
multiplant_v2.zip
nkd_taspawn.zip
pj_chainlamp_mapobject.zip
pj_lamp.zip
plant_pack.zip
Push7339.zip
Q3A6725.zip
Q3DM7815.zip
qkq_barrel.zip
qkq_idcross.zip
qkq_museum.zip
rapxiandr_1.zip
roman_armor.zip <<-- !*
rosewindow.zip
sag_globes.zip
Scul4167.zip
Scul8245.zip
Scul8708.zip
Scul8808.zip
skel_addon.zip <<-- !*
skelcage.zip <<-- !*
skeletons.zip << -- !*
Smal2820.zip
sldoom.zip <<-- Oak Shiro's Excellent Tortured Doom Model
stai8118.zip
Ston1527.zip
supportcolumn.zip
telestecki.zip
Tour2180.zip
treetest.pk3.zip
wallportal.zip
wolf5232.zip
xaero_statue.zip <<-- !*
xian_doorway2t.zip

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-25-2021 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey LEM mods, there's a links channel in the Discord we could copy this stuff to if the links listed ITT are still good (i see OP is 2005 :paranoid: )

lemme know and i can copy them over

[edit] or you could just stick them in DB's thread :|

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-28-2021 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is my Trello with all the relevant mapping resources I could find:

https://trello.com/b/zJp4pE3m/id-tech-3-mapping

As for a good beginners guide, see the first card under 'Links'.

id Tech 3 Mapping Trello

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Overview of level editors
When I was getting back into mapping recently I scanned around but couldn't find clear information on what editor should be used in <current year>. This stuff was a bit confusing and I just wanted a clear steer on what's relevant today. So here's what I found:

You'll see various references to Radiant as 'the' level editor for Quake 3. There's several versions of Radiant, and also some multi-game editors with different names that work with Quake 3. It is a personal choice which editor you use. Tutorials and advice often assume you're using a particular editor or at least a flavor of Radiant, so consider that help may be harder to find if you choose an non-Radiant editor.

Q3Radiant
First official released level editor for Quake 3 and the tool used internally during development at id Software. Windows only. Very much legacy now, not really usable if you find a download for it and can get it to run. Development efforts shifted over to GTKRadiant.

GTKRadiant
Q3Radiant rebuilt to run on both Linux and Windows. Maintained by a third party (iculus.org) up to at least 2018.
Downloads Here

NetRadiant
A fork of GtkRadiant by Alientrap, developers of Nexuiz. Currently maintained by the Xonotic project. In some ways more stable/capable than GTKRadiant, but the development motivations have been mostly non-Quake3 games.
Downloads Here

NetRadiant-Custom
A fork of NetRadiant (GtkRadiant 1.4→massive rewrite→1.5→NetRadiant→this). Main focus is on Quake, Quake3 and Quake Live. Actively maintained (as of mid 2022).
This is the editor I use and recommend as of mid 2022. It's stable, fast, supports everything I need and has a bunch of neat new features. Most of the tutorials and advice you'll get online pertaining to GTKRadiant will work in this pretty much the same.
Downloads Here

DarkRadiant
A fork of GtkRadiant primarily intended to support 'The Dark Mod' which is a Thief-inspired total conversion for Doom 3. However it does officially also support Quake 3
Official Site Here

MacRadiant
A port of GtkRadiant 1.4 to Mac OS X.
Official Site Here

TrenchBroom
Not forked from any flavor of Radiant, Trenchbroom is it's own thing and supports a ton of games from Daikatana to Quake 3.
Official Site Here

QuArK
Supports a ton of different games and Q3 is one of them.
Downloads Here

While digging around I also found someone else had compiled a big list of Radiant flavors a few years ago. See here for even more editor choices or here if you just want the raw list.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 09-13-2022 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Overview of level editors
When I was getting back into mapping recently I scanned around but couldn't find clear information on what editor should be used in <current year>. This stuff was a bit confusing and I just wanted a clear steer on what's relevant today. So here's what I found:.....

Good stuff Foo. I have been thinking on re-entering level design for q3a related reasons, as my mind keeps going back to the good 'ole days, and the fun that was had with all of this. Is great to know that this is still around for people like us.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-13-2022 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

roughrider! Long time no see, good to hear from you buddy :) I put a new map together recently, and can confirm it's as much fun (and challenge) as ever.

We're pretty active in #level-editing on the Q3W discord (PM doombrain for an invite) and there's a bunch of other mapping discords/irc around as well. Duff and Raw are running servers where beta maps can be tested out with real players, and that helps a ton.

I've asked Doomer if we can get a MediaWiki up and running alongside the forum here so more of this info can get brought together. Good to lower a few barriers for re-entry.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 09-14-2022 01:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good to hear from you too bud. I sent doombrain a pm already about discord, haven't heard anything back yet. As soon as he gets discord sorted, will be there :) .Is that map you put together in beta?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-14-2022 01:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

roughrider wrote:
Good to hear from you too bud. I sent doombrain a pm already about discord, haven't heard anything back yet. As soon as he gets discord sorted, will be there :)

I have asked the greater powers of discord to get an invite link PMed to you.

Quote:
Is that map you put together in beta?

She's out for download! Also for Quake Live :)

My other lil project lately has been putting together a torrent of all Q3 custom maps ever made.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 09-14-2022 02:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grabbed that map and will give it a spin shortly, home from work not long ago and want to unwind a little before I get into much else.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-25-2024 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.