Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-18-2015 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This Fool's Gold movie of yours got a 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hm. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fools_gold_2008/

Your description makes it sound interesting. Maybe I'll check it out. Not sure yet.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-18-2015 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure though.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-18-2015 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The One is one of the worst movies ever made so if he gives that an 8/10, you're in for a turd sandwich.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-18-2015 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS can't empathize with human emotions, so it's no wonder he doesn't notice the failures in chemistry, acting, and dialogue.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
DTS can't empathize with human emotions, so it's no wonder he doesn't notice the failures in chemistry, acting, and dialogue.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!

1) Jet Li is a brilliant actor.
2) James Morrison is in The One. James Morrison is a brilliant actor. You should have seen him in Space: Above and Beyond. That TV series was so good and intelligent that the dumbass masses couldn't handle it, and so it got cancelled.
3) The dialogue is cool. Being such an uncool fuckwad yourself, you wouldn't know a fucking thing about that.
4) I empathise, I am just a tough guy. Why do you think I said Fool's Gold was "very emotional" if I don't even empathise?
5) The problem with you, Feedback, is you don't get subtlety. Brilliant acting is subtle. You don't even seem to know how to be subtle yourself. It's all "in your face! Fuck you!" with you all the time.

:) :olo: :sly: ;) :up: :down: :offended: :offended: :offended: :)

By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow. Who the fuck re-named/re-coded it? It should be coded like this: o_0

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
I am just a tough guy.

:olo:

PostPosted: 02-19-2015 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh fucking hell, DTS you've made my day.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 03:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dork:
Sperg-out.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
THIS IS BULLSHIT!

1) Jet Li is a brilliant actor.
2) James Morrison is in The One. James Morrison is a brilliant actor. You should have seen him in Space: Above and Beyond. That TV series was so good and intelligent that the dumbass masses couldn't handle it, and so it got cancelled.
3) The dialogue is cool. Being such an uncool fuckwad yourself, you wouldn't know a fucking thing about that.
4) I empathise, I am just a tough guy. Why do you think I said Fool's Gold was "very emotional" if I don't even empathise?
5) The problem with you, Feedback, is you don't get subtlety. Brilliant acting is subtle. You don't even seem to know how to be subtle yourself. It's all "in your face! Fuck you!" with you all the time.

:) :olo: :sly: ;) :up: :down: :offended: :offended: :offended: :)

By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow. Who the fuck re-named/re-coded it? It should be coded like this: o_0

Gotten to.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't figure DTS out. He just a non-conformist? 99% of the time his opinions seem to be the opposite of the masses.

Also, just to clear this up, he is/was Ultron? And before he was Ultron?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, he was Ultron, a.k.a. Dulltron

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-19-2015 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow.

yes, the 'offended' icon should be a tiny GIF of an Islamist shooting cartoonists and Jews

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-21-2015 11:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I said a few pages back I'd review only recent movies and give them a score but the last movie(s) I watched were

The Godfather (1972)
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan

The Godfather: Part II (1974)
Stars:Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall

The Godfather: Part III (1990)
Stars: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Andy Garcia

Yes, near 9 hours of the trilogy.
All I can say is it is a powerful viewing depicting an organized crime dynasty turmoils throughout the generations.

A must view IMO.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-22-2015 01:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
DTS wrote:
By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow.

yes, the 'offended' icon should be a tiny GIF of an Islamist shooting cartoonists and texans

alternatively an selfproclaimed american minority should do.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead 8/10
Australian zombie flick with some hilarious and refreshing new angles to the genre. Everything made very little sense but that was ok - was entertained throughout :up: Extra point for the excellent horror style camera work, good job there.

John Wick 2/10
A hitman is off to exact revenge after his wife and his dog are killed by Theon Greyjoy who is the spoiled son of a Russian mobster with daddy issues... i don't know what the hell the people who made this were thinking, it's without a doubt the very worst movie i've seen in at least 6 months. For some reason i watched the entire fucking thing too, what's wrong with me? :(

I'm thinking they did it on purpose to market it to airlines for in flight entertainment; shit explodes and folks get shot but it's all so mindlessly terrible and insutingly unintelligent... and to make things worse the score is 90's style marilyn manson rock that hurts your brain - so your biological response is to fall asleep to limit the awfulness. Fuck you for not walking out on this utterly doomed project halfway Keanu Reeves, fuck you.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 06:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The movie was supposed to be a super cliche throwback with balls out action. You should've picked up on that after the first 3 minutes with the dead wife and the horrendous dialog with Defoe. Then probably the part where he murders the population of a small country over his dead dog....

PostPosted: 02-23-2015 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but it's got zero sense of humor. It needed more camp to get that feel.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
The movie was supposed to be a super cliche throwback with balls out action. You should've picked up on that after the first 3 minutes with the dead wife and the horrendous dialog with Defoe. Then probably the part where he murders the population of a small country over his dead dog....

Really? That's interesting. I mean, in the sense that it might be interesting to learn what the dog ate in whose shit you just stepped.

What feedback said, it's completely devoid of humor, which seems to be a prime ingredient for a parody. Was the script written by a team of robots?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 08:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't think it had to be humorous to not take itself seriously. I mean you would've had the bad guys or someone sit down looking over an extensive wrap sheet showing the protagonist is an ex navy seal cia super soldier as the plot device that you see in pretty much every action flick that tries to be serious. This one had some shit about Wick being the guy who you send to kill the bogeyman and some other ridiculous mention about how he killed 3 men with a pencil. There are examples of that throughout the entire movie.

I'm not saying it was an excellent film but just look at how you and I both watched the entire thing even with the cringe worthy dialog. That says something about the level of action, which I thought was very good.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. Well. I expect a lot more from things that like to call themselves parody. And the action was nothing special really was it...? It all felt very tedious to me in any case.

The reason i ended up watching the whole thing had more to do with simply being too hungover to get up and push the button that makes it all stop.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Twin Peaks 8/10

Not a movie, but a TV series (1990-91). Pretty good. I've always liked David Lynch, and this is considered one of his best works. Starts out normal, but quickly gets really strange. And by the end, REALLY strange. I probably would have been more disappointed with the ending if I didn't know they're bringing the show back next year...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
American Sniper

It was good but not terribly interesting to watch. The subject matter is extremely interesting, but if you compare it to something like Letters from Iwo Jima, it just doesn't approach it. Still good, though.

Yes, agreed. I just came back for an afternoon session and the cinema was maybe half full which was surprising.
I enjoyed the movie start to finish.

Directed by Clint Eastwood :up: and I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima as yet but it is on the list :)
I enjoyed it but is it worth your time? Don't know... 7/10

EDIT: Heard on the local TV news his murderer got life, no chance of parole :up: :up:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 02-25-2015 04:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Letters from Iwo Jima probably one of the best war films ever

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

PostPosted: 02-25-2015 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

made #13 out of the top 20 of all time here but what do I know http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055731784/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, it's good. Much better than its counterpart, Flags of our Fathers...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
John Wick 2/10
A hitman is off to exact revenge after his wife and his dog are killed by Theon Greyjoy who is the spoiled son of a Russian mobster with daddy issues... i don't know what the hell the people who made this were thinking, it's without a doubt the very worst movie i've seen in at least 6 months. For some reason i watched the entire fucking thing too, what's wrong with me? :(

I'm thinking they did it on purpose to market it to airlines for in flight entertainment; shit explodes and folks get shot but it's all so mindlessly terrible and insutingly unintelligent... and to make things worse the score is 90's style marilyn manson rock that hurts your brain - so your biological response is to fall asleep to limit the awfulness. Fuck you for not walking out on this utterly doomed project halfway Keanu Reeves, fuck you.

Reading your review, it sounds like you expected a different film to what you got. It's just a mindless action/revenge film.

I thought it was brilliant, and funny that you mention the soundtrack, because I liked the Marilyn Manson song (killing strangers) so much, I subsequently bought it off iTunes. Something I've only done a handful of times.

John Wick 9/10 (Got what I was expecting)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 06:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I enjoyed John Wick almost as much as I enjoyed Shoot 'em Up. Very similar films in the "Turn off brain, enjoy mindless violence" genre.
Shoot 'em Up wins though, 'cos Monica Bellucci.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
made #13 out of the top 20 of all time here but what do I know http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055731784/

You like American Sniper and quoted a list that includes Hurt Locker, all of this invalidates your opinions on war films even if you're right about Iwo Jima :alert:

PostPosted: 02-25-2015 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
feedback wrote:

You like American Sniper and quoted a list that includes Hurt Locker, all of this invalidates your opinions on war films even if you're right about Iwo Jima :alert:

Hurt Locker is excellent. I think you just have bad taste. I'm sorry.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fictional premises in Pentagon-supported films that attempt to sway public opinion about illegal wars are the very definition of bad taste, but keep living in your little bubble if that makes you feel better.

Quote:
*American soldiers are good, the enemy bad. Nearly every war movie is going to have a scene in which Americans label the enemy as “savages,” “barbarians,” or “bloodthirsty fanatics,” typically following a “sneak attack” or a suicide bombing. Our country’s goal is to liberate; the enemy’s, to conquer. Such a framework prepares us to accept things that wouldn’t otherwise pass muster. Racism naturally gets a bye; as they once were “Japs” (not Japanese), they are now “hajjis” and “ragheads” (not Muslims or Iraqis). It’s beyond question that the ends justify just about any means we might use, from the nuclear obliteration of two cities of almost no military significance to the grimmest sort of torture. In this way, the war film long ago became a moral free-fire zone for its American characters.

*American soldiers believe in God and Country, in “something bigger than themselves,” in something “worth dying for,” but without ever becoming blindly attached to it. The enemy, on the other hand, is blindly devoted to a religion, political faith, or dictator, and it goes without saying (though it’s said) that his God — whether an emperor, Communism, or Allah — is evil. As one critic put it back in 2007 with just a tad of hyperbole, “In every movie Hollywood makes, every time an Arab utters the word Allah… something blows up.”

*War films spend no significant time on why those savages might be so intent on going after us. The purpose of American killing, however, is nearly always clearly defined. It’s to “save American lives,” those over there and those who won’t die because we don’t have to fight them over here. Saving such lives explains American war: in Kathryn Bigelow’s The Hurt Locker, for example, the main character defuses roadside bombs to make Iraq safer for other American soldiers. In the recent World War II-themed Fury, Brad Pitt similarly mows down ranks of Germans to save his comrades. Even torture is justified, as in Zero Dark Thirty, in the cause of saving our lives from their nightmarish schemes. In American Sniper, shooter Chris Kyle focuses on the many American lives he’s saved by shooting Iraqis; his PTSD is, in fact, caused by his having “failed” to have saved even more. Hey, when an American kills in war, he’s the one who suffers the most, not that mutilated kid or his grieving mother – I got nightmares, man! I still see their faces!

*Our soldiers are human beings with emotionally engaging backstories, sweet gals waiting at home, and promising lives ahead of them that might be cut tragically short by an enemy from the gates of hell. The bad guys lack such backstories. They are anonymous fanatics with neither a past worth mentioning nor a future worth imagining. This is usually pretty blunt stuff. Kyle’s nemesis in American Sniper, for instance, wears all black. Thanks to that, you know he’s an insta-villain without the need for further information. And speaking of lack of a backstory, he improbably appears in the film both in the Sunni city of Fallujah and in Sadr City, a Shia neighborhood in Baghdad, apparently so super-bad that his desire to kill Americans overcomes even Iraq’s mad sectarianism.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/21/america ... e_partner/

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

German soldiers in Fury were reduced to a series of shadowy, faceless figures marching in unison while German women embraced the presence of US soldiers by gladly turning tricks for a piece of chocolate in the bombed-out remains of their houses.

Demonizing one side and hailing the other as angels of justice is what you've been brainwashed into believing your whole pitiful life, so no wonder you're so acclimatized to it.

PostPosted: 02-25-2015 11:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
German soldiers in Fury were reduced to a series of shadowy, faceless figures marching in unison while German women embraced the presence of US soldiers by gladly turning tricks for a piece of chocolate in the bombed-out remains of their houses.

And? It's a fucking movie, Mazda. It is made for entertainment.

Quote:
Demonizing one side and hailing the other as angels of justice is what you've been brainwashed into believing your whole pitiful life, so no wonder you're so acclimatized to it.

lol not even close; gb2 worldtruth.tv

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-26-2015 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
http://www.salon.com/2015/02/21/america_loves_its_war_porn_american_sniper_and_the_hollywood_propaganda_machine_partner/

Quote:
Timing matters, too, when it comes to the few mainstream exceptions. John Wayne’s The Green Berets, a pro-Vietnam War film, came out in 1968 as that conflict was nearing its bloody peak and resistance at home was growing... Platoon, with its message of waste and absurdity, had to wait until 1986, more than a decade after the war ended.

Charlie Sheen, as he was being cas-evac'd at the end of Platoon wrote:
I realise now it was not the enemy we were fighting, but ourselves...

uh huh

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-26-2015 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Quote:

And? It's a fucking movie, Mazda. It is made for entertainment.

For a dumbass, yeah.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.