Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Any interest in a Q3W server again?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 

Would you like to see a Quake3World server active again?
Hell yes  89%  [ 17 ]
Fuck no  5%  [ 1 ]
DIAF  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19
Topic Starter Topic: Any interest in a Q3W server again?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was thinking of buying a VPS w/ dedicated IP and setting up a Quank 3 server to bang around on. Anyone here interested in such a thing? Never done a dedicated server on a machine that is not my own, so I'll have to poke around make sure it's all going to work. If anyone knows of any resources off the top of their head relating to this, feel free to pass it along.

If there's enough interest I might get it rolling by the end of September or so, get some fall & winter fragging in. CA? CTF? Vanilla FFA? Gimme your input.

I was thinking to go with BlueHost but I mostly picked them arbitrarily. I am fairly certain their servers are Western US based. If someone knows of a better alternative, let me know. Their lowest level VPS is about $290/year.

Standard VPS:
- Dual Core Processor
- 2 GB Ram
- 30 GB Storage
- 1 TB Bandwidth per month
- Free Domain Name
- A Dedicated IP address
- CentOS 6.4 (64-bit)

Seems fine for a Quake 3 server but I am wondering if 2GB of RAM is really enough...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if PieceMaker hosts

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would be nice to run about and 'see' you people :D but I have to ask will it work in W10 / 64 bit?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 is 15 years old software so a server should take very few resources to host nowadays.I remember running a demo server on my 128MB, 500Mhz laptop back in 2001, with 16 people, all while playing on said laptop.

DigitalOcean offers a $5/month 512MB plan. I've been a satisfied user of linode (cheapest plan is $10). I used them for hosting that minecraft server, which ran great. And since that time they've upgraded to SSD and quadrupled the memory.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool I will check out linode tomorrow.

@SoM -- How the fuck would PM be hosting if I was hosting? :tard:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2015 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is there even a OS10.10 build for Q3? :[

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 03:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
...that minecraft server...

tbh i'd rather see the return of this, running infinity or similar, than a Q3 server :)

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think this is an awesome idea. Might have to buy it again, though, I don't think I'll be able to find my old CD key.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh great .. just when my gauntlet rape nightmares where finally over :disgust:
Som asshole deserves to be punished with my new low ping.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd love a few games, but don't have the time anymore.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I think this is an awesome idea. Might have to buy it again, though, I don't think I'll be able to find my old CD key.

doesn't QL allow someone with a premium account to create their own server?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

doesn't QL allow someone with a premium account to create their own server?

yes

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would be nice playing the fine folk of Q3W again. I would have to agree with Memphis though, I've played Quake Live a couple of times to and got my, well just you never mind what it was I got handed to me but by all means bring on the server

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake live seems to make more sense then if you can host with a pro account.

Another option would be Amazon EC2? The cheapest Linux virtual machine is ~$9/month and the first year is free.. https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/. Though in all honesty, if you have a decent enough internet connection you could just host one yourself - there's even a guide on how to run one on a RaspberryPi which will cost about £26 for the hardware and £5 a year in electric - https://markfoxx.co.uk/2014/11/08/runni ... pberry-pi/.

ToxicBug wrote:

I can remember mine off the top of my head still, despite not needing to for years, thanks to the bug where you had to re-type your key in almost every time you wanted to play. >:(

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you'd have better luck organising game nights and spawning a ql server. I also think ql is the better game at this point.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 02:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I also think ql is the better game at this point.

:alert:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright... looking like Quank Live is the way to go here. I honestly fuckin' forgot about it :olo: I've only played it a handful of times. Will look into it!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 07:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see what you did there...

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 07:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the idea of playing with other site members, but you have to keep in mind that people have kids, mortgages, and other real life responsibilities. It won't be packed every night like it was in 99. The Quake Live route seems to be the most cost effective. If I find my disc, I'll need to find a CD player too LOL.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah I don't expect it will be as busy as it was, I just figured it'd be fun for shits and giggles, even if only over the fall and winter months.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just tried Q3L after a few good months

why the fuck did they change config settings? all my binds are fucked

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2015 08:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ever since QL went standalone they removed mac and Linux support. Also no mods?
Lol

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, having to adjust the volume levels and turn off the music EVERY FUCKING TIME I PLAY :dts:

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd play if a q3 server was set up.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No QL Mac support? I'd install bootcamp and Windhose.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit, I don't know how to play this game anymore..

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 07:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wish we had a minecraft server. we could build a train system or something cool like that.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes had one for a while... were you not in on it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 10:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
mjrpes wrote:
...that minecraft server...

tbh i'd rather see the return of this, running infinity or similar, than a Q3 server :)

When I was rebooting the server with a fresh minecraft map it was because there was a new version of minecraft that had some cool new features to play around with. I've been checking the release logs but there doesn't see anything really cool and new recently (except maybe the new biomes they added awhile ago). Plugin API has been under development for how long? I was waiting for release of this so upgrading to a new server version wouldn't be such a pain.... and hopefully the release of an official API would mean more interesting and stable mods.

Plus... new features means more people will log on. People don't log in as much after a few months.

Funny thing... I'll occasionally download the old q3 maps and just explore again. I still keep finding new stuff people had created.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 11:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
When I was rebooting the server with a fresh minecraft map it was because there was a new version of minecraft that had some cool new features to play around with. I've been checking the release logs but there doesn't see anything really cool and new recently (except maybe the new biomes they added awhile ago). Plugin API has been under development for how long? I was waiting for release of this so upgrading to a new server version wouldn't be such a pain.... and hopefully the release of an official API would mean more interesting and stable mods.

sounds like you haven't looked at MC for a while. nobody cares about vanilla any more, and nobody cares about the 'official' mod API since everyone is using MC Forge (which is what all the FTB mod packs run on)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-19-2015 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You got it exactly right. Have not really been following at all. Will have to take a look.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.