Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 02-28-2015 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck i don't feel comfortable agreeing with mazda, but saying that any media is "just entertainment" is pretty naive.

btw, saw Theory of Everything and enjoyed it much more than Imitation Game. I thought it was going to whitewash the Hawking's relationship with his (first) wife, but it was really quite honest and fair.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-28-2015 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I didn't actually make it to the end, I was gonna watch it again even though I didn't think much of it.

Pretty much what you said is spot on though, there's no way the allies would have sent those tanks without any support, they would have had atleast infantry for spotters which would've just called in artillery or an airstrike rendering the whole scene non existant and if the scenario did occur, I doubt very much the Shermans would have engaged on an open field. The Tiger would have picked them off with ease whilst reversing and would traverse in the same direction as the last remaining Sherman to keep the front face on. With that said, the tactics employed were genuine I believe, sending a decoy whilst trying to take up flanking positions, but surviving a direct hit from an 88 ?, I don't think I've ever read anything like that. I also think the tactic used was wrong, with it being a completely open field, imo the likely thing would have been to keep a Sherman behind to keep the Tiger blind with smoke, I know that was a tactic used in Africa, where they could get into the 500m effective firing range.

The M4 was knicknamed the 'Ronson' - a lighter brand from back then that had the slogan 'lights 1st time'. To give you some idea of the mismatch, the Tiger's 88 has the same penetrating power at 2000m as the Shermans smaller (75mm) gun at 500m, this was the standard gun, some were upgraded with a 76mm gun that could bring that number upto 1000m but they were rare.

They weren't a bad tank though, they were just ill equipped to fight anti tank battles. They were meant for infantry support and leaving things like tank destroyers, infantry, artillery or air strikes to take care of the bigger threats. A Sherman going against a Tiger would be like a lightweight VS a heavyweight, a Tiger was designed to take out tanks which is another reason why the entire scene would not have taken place in the 1st place. A Jumbo Sherman would be a good match, they could survive 88 hits and frequently did.

I did some reading on this and found a good video on the subject, 25 minutes long comparing the two.
Note @ 6:10, 7:15..
In one battle 400 x Shermans destroyed ! @ 7:30
Didn't know they changed the gun on the Sherman (late) to the Firefly @ 14:10
Tank tactics @ 20:20 3 Shermans to kill a Tiger :smirk:

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 03-05-2015 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Silence of the Lambs
Very good movie with an interesting storyline and great acting from both Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. Quite horrific sometimes, but I guess you wouldn't call it horror
8.5/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-05-2015 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Enjoyed this as much as the original and it too is worth every ounce of an 8.5/10

Was it that long ago :smirk: The below posted 24 March 2012

Whiskey 7 wrote:
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

IMDB

I thought a brilliant movie and worth every ounce of an 8.5/10

Very entertaining movie :up:

Excellent cast and a great look into the India of today perhaps.
I do hope it is screened there.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-06-2015 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grand Budapest Hotel 7/10

Pretty good. Not my favorite Anderson film. But still good...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-06-2015 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jack Reacher - 7/10

The film was surprisingly enjoyable; For example when the car chase started I was expecting a boring sequence with uninteresting shots but they managed to put some nice Ideas in there. The streamlined approach to the action sequences is one of the movies strenghts; Much in the spirit of the Bourne movies.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-06-2015 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick - 6/10

Anticlimactic but I liked the world they set up.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-06-2015 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gone girl. 7/10 overrated imo. maybe it would have been a masterpiece 20 years ago.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-10-2015 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-11-2015 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers Puff, watched that last night. Jolly good watch, and subsequently my playlist today consists of Talking Heads, The Ramones, Blondie and Patti Smith.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-11-2015 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chappie. 6/10

Eh, Die Antword and the human cast ruined this otherwise relatively enjoyable film. The CGI on Chappie is flawless. There were some interesting ideas put forward in a pretty binary moral spectrum and they weren't really developed. The story was your standard fare. It's been getting a lot of hate and zero star reviews which is pretty undeserved. I think people are still (justifiably so) angry about Elysium and it's better than that.

I think Blampcamp's been a one hit wonder with District9. I hope he doesn't ruin Alien.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-11-2015 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, Blomkamp has joined the list of directors including John Woo and Timur Bekmambetov, who made good stuff in their own countries but then lost their mojo in Hollywood

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-11-2015 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What We Did on Our Holiday (2014)

A most enjoyable film by all of my measures.
The actors: Billy Connolly always acts well IMO: David Tennant too. Others all well done :up:
The scenery: Filmed in Scotland and no CGI.
The plot :up: Yes you've probably guessed the outcome correctly but if not... .

The Grand Father (Billy Connolly) dies :tear:

Simply in summing up, British movies are pretty. good all round.

Watch it. 8.5/10

IMDB

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-12-2015 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Chappie. 6/10

Eh, Die Antword and the human cast ruined this otherwise relatively enjoyable film. The CGI on Chappie is flawless. There were some interesting ideas put forward in a pretty binary moral spectrum and they weren't really developed. The story was your standard fare. It's been getting a lot of hate and zero star reviews which is pretty undeserved. I think people are still (justifiably so) angry about Elysium and it's better than that.

I think Blampcamp's been a one hit wonder with District9. I hope he doesn't ruin Alien.

It wasn't bad, I liked it but then again I said the same about Elysium. As far as entertaining movies go I think he does a good job but Chappie is the weakest of his 3 big ones.

The cast was pretty poor and I'm starting to wish he'll move out of SA, Chappie had so much bloody potential but ended up getting stuck between a family movie love in (Johnny 5) and Dystopian future. The characters were a big let down though, even Chappies character could be a little annoying at times but I think it was to do with copying the other dickhead characters along with the villain being a one dimensional roidy with an axe to grind.

With that said the action sequences were pretty win, despite his somewhat annoying characteristics I become quite emphatic towards Chappie and it progressed at a good pace with a highly satisfying last fight, it's a big shame about those characters though.

I'd say it was a typical Bloomkamp film all n all, I think his other 2 big movies suffered similar problems just this one suffered more than the rest, if it wasn't for the characters and the huge focus on them it might've been one of the best :shrug:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-12-2015 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
I didn't actually make it to the end, I was gonna watch it again even though I didn't think much of it.

Pretty much what you said is spot on though, there's no way the allies would have sent those tanks without any support, they would have had atleast infantry for spotters which would've just called in artillery or an airstrike rendering the whole scene non existant and if the scenario did occur, I doubt very much the Shermans would have engaged on an open field. The Tiger would have picked them off with ease whilst reversing and would traverse in the same direction as the last remaining Sherman to keep the front face on. With that said, the tactics employed were genuine I believe, sending a decoy whilst trying to take up flanking positions, but surviving a direct hit from an 88 ?, I don't think I've ever read anything like that. I also think the tactic used was wrong, with it being a completely open field, imo the likely thing would have been to keep a Sherman behind to keep the Tiger blind with smoke, I know that was a tactic used in Africa, where they could get into the 500m effective firing range.

The M4 was knicknamed the 'Ronson' - a lighter brand from back then that had the slogan 'lights 1st time'. To give you some idea of the mismatch, the Tiger's 88 has the same penetrating power at 2000m as the Shermans smaller (75mm) gun at 500m, this was the standard gun, some were upgraded with a 76mm gun that could bring that number upto 1000m but they were rare.

They weren't a bad tank though, they were just ill equipped to fight anti tank battles. They were meant for infantry support and leaving things like tank destroyers, infantry, artillery or air strikes to take care of the bigger threats. A Sherman going against a Tiger would be like a lightweight VS a heavyweight, a Tiger was designed to take out tanks which is another reason why the entire scene would not have taken place in the 1st place. A Jumbo Sherman would be a good match, they could survive 88 hits and frequently did.

I did some reading on this and found a good video on the subject, 25 minutes long comparing the two.
Note @ 6:10, 7:15..
In one battle 400 x Shermans destroyed ! @ 7:30
Didn't know they changed the gun on the Sherman (late) to the Firefly @ 14:10
Tank tactics @ 20:20 3 Shermans to kill a Tiger :smirk:

[flash=400,300]http://www.youtube.com/v/Bj0AzL95Weg[flash]

:D

In the recommended vids it has the Challenger 2 tank, tis a beast. The only one to get destroyed in combat was destroyed by another Challenger 2 and its predecessor (Challenger 1) still holds the longest confirmed kill in combat at 3+ miles.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tomb Raider
3/10

More of a film of Tomb Raider 2 than of Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider was a videogame I lost interest in without completing it and Tomb Raider 2 was trash. They built very detailed physical sets for this film and those look good. The story, acting and action are all mediocre, however. The music is very good. The cinematography is all lacklustre, except for the very last frame at the end of the film. That last frame is not only exciting in itself but is accompanied by some exciting music. It's sad that oinly at the very end of the film does it get exciting; it just screams "We want a sequel!" but considering the rest of the fillm, they don't deserve one.

X-Men Days of Future Past
7/10

This is supposed to be based on one of the best comic book stories. I had already seen the 1990s cartoon version of the story, which was awesome but differed widely from this one. Still the story they did tell in the film is brilliant and the strongest asset of the film. The music is fantastic, it really gets you engaged in the film.

They really overdid it with the LFEs, though. I watched it late at night and didn't want to wake up the whole neighbourhood, so I had to have the sound so low that some of the dailogue became indiscernable. Major sound design fault right there :down:

The snippet after the end of the story, showing what the next film will be about, is ignorant of world history. Typical of Americans to disregard history they were not involved in themselves. Anyway, I know cause that's Apocalypse in the clip that Cable will be in the next film or one of the following films soon enough, and Cable was sorely missing from this film. I was hoping he'd be in it cause he was in the cartoon version!

The acting throughout the film is top quality. I really want to see more of it all.

Cause of the aforementioned LFE design fault, I tried watching it again later at a higher volume, but got bored and stopped watching it :(

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gotta love my adblocker allowing me to block DTS' horrible new signature image.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found I'd made a mistake in a few places in it and I couldn't be bothered to fix it so I've deleted it now, anyway. I just wanted to do something with that font and that was the only - default - size it looked right at.

I'll come up with something subtler for my next signature. Smaller than icon (64x64) size, would be good.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The art of the steal 8/10

Documentary about the controversial move of the Barnes collection from Merion PA to Philidelphia. Never heard of the Barnes collection myself, but it's absolutely astounding; 181 Renoirs, 69 Cézannes, 60 Matisses, 44 Picassos, and 14 Modiglianis - and that's just the European art selection. Not just the sheer amount of works is crazy, but Barnes actually picked the best paintings these folks made according to experts. Shit, Matisse himself actually made a work on the ceiling and walls of his house... The worth of the collection is incaculable really, but estimated at 25-30 billion (!!).

As soon as Barnes died in 1951 his collection became the subject of decades and decades of lawsuits by various parties- in the end it was basically stolen by a grand conspiracy of political forces in order to make money off of it. Very interesting stuff :up:

Intergalactic 8/10

Really beautiful in places, superb score, good acting... the only negative thing i can say about it is that it somehow felt like a four hour watch, was much surprised to see it was actually much less. Should probably see it again though, excellent stuff.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
(and possibly Hans Zimmer's worst ever soundtrack to date)

Yep

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I been catching up on superhero guff. Blame me been addicted to the Arkham .

Seen guardians ? :)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Knows it :D

It's also got a Groot :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 07:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The thing I don't like about Guardians is how they explain every fucking thing they're doing. "No Peter, what are you doing? you cant go out into space you will freeze and die but you also cant bring her into your pod because it only fits one person" or something like that...for the entire movie.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
The thing I don't like about Guardians is how they explain every fucking thing they're doing. "No Peter, what are you doing? you cant go out into space you will freeze and die but you also cant bring her into your pod because it only fits one person" or something like that...for the entire movie.

Welcome to 21st century films. :tear:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cinderella (2015)

Yes the childhood fairytale and so well done by The Walt Disney Studios :up:

A good movie 7.5/10

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

Exposition for simpletons. Confuse them too much and they'll flock over to the IMDB message boards proclaiming their hatred for "that confusing pile of stupid shit that only retards like", like Interstellar for example.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Take away Interstellar visuals and it was average at best

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I were cursed enough to live in Newport, I'd sure as hell dream of long-distance space travel.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 09:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With the amount of drugs floating around in Canada I think half your population already has

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow.
Or Groundhog Day 2: The Starship Troopening.
Very fun, albeit very silly, with many absolute nonsense plot-points and generic tentacle squid aliens. Laughed hard at the "On your feet maggot!" *BLAM* "Maggot!" *BLAM* "Maggot!" *BLAM* sequences and continuous deaths. Very reminiscent of gaming on some 'silly hard' difficulty and getting a little bit further with each attempt, despite repeated failure.

I liked it, the director / writer or whatever said he got the inspiration from playing a game in the same way you described. Was an entertaining flick. The guy who fights in the buff is the guy with a squeaky voice that doesn't talk in Ali G's film n all ;)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

I liked it, the director / writer or whatever said he got the inspiration from playing a game

That's very cool and I like the movie even more now.

Quote:
The movie “Groundhog Day” is famous for its repeating plot structure. Where did you get the idea for a repeating story line?

I’m familiar with “Groundhog Day.” Before I began writing, I looked up existing works with loop story lines. My book was inspired by an online account written by a video-game player. I read such comments as, “I messed up and my character died. Damn it! I’ll do better next time.” I thought about writing a story based not on the idea of a person playing a video game but on a hero being played over and over in a game. That seemed like a good model for a story to write.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... RxAHeGQA5I

Took me a while to find but I knew I seen it somewhere. Wasn't the place I seen it either.

Interstellar tho I could go on for a while, it explains EVERYTHING n all, it was like a lecture, even going towards the black hole on the mission and describing how it's a sphere instead of a hole. It was basically Inception but with gravity warping time instead of dreams, wasn't a fan of that either but it seemed a bit more solid than Interstellar. The love quote was proper cringe and the film should've ended before the book case.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Birdman - 5/10 - Sure, the acting's good... but does that redeem a self-indulgent pile of oscarbait? It was the opposite of engaging. I didn't like the characters enough to hope things worked out or dislike them enough to hope they didn't. I just thought they were boring assholes living out boring stereotypes. The only people who cared about this film were the Academy voters and only because the main character pretty directly says that anyone who says it's pretentious crap put on by a few former A-listers trying to improve their Serious Acting street cred is a phony and doesn't get Real Artistic Creation. *yawn*

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 07:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver, is that you?

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. I cry every time (not a joke)

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-02-2015 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fag.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.