Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        scdm3 [alpha] by Scorch_

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: scdm3 [alpha] by Scorch_

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scdm3 is a small duel map inspired various cpma and reflex maps and barrows its appearance (temporarily) from the map cpm1a or "wicked" as its known in QL.

Download Q3

Download QL

Some things I'd like feedback on:
  • Spawns
  • Item placement (major,minor,weapons)
  • Map balance
  • Map flow
  • Overall map layout and structure

Notes
  • Right now I'm not 100% sure what game this map is for, when designing it I sort of had cpm/reflex/turbo on the mind when making it and even though I was going to initially just make this a QL map I feel it almost works better when playing it with air control movement. How ever with that having been said both the q3 and ql versions of this map are up to speed and working though there are a few minor problems with the q3 version.
  • The issues with the cpm/q3 version of this map are: missing teleporter texture, missing bounce pad texture, missing spiny thing under the weapons texture, sky does not provide light (might need to mess with your r_mapoverbrightbits), (and these next two only apply to vq3 movement as they work fine in cpma and QL) unable to make the teleporter exit jump by the armor shards 1 , unable to make the jump from the teleporter exit in the ra room to the railgun platform 1. While the issues with the q3 version are minor they are noticeable so I thought they were worth pointing out

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-07-2015 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map is too damn small and super simple for me. You should put something interesting on that platform where the floating armor shards are.
The map has some junction leaks(?) ...(I think)
The map is in a big box... this isn't good.
The map doesn't have bot support...

:tear:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2015 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:
This map is too damn small and super simple for me. You should put something interesting on that platform where the floating armor shards are.
The map has some junction leaks(?) ...(I think)
The map is in a big box... this isn't good.
The map doesn't have bot support...

:tear:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "junction leaks" if your talking about just regular leaks into the "void" then the map shouldn't have any.
The reason the map is in a large box is because its in alpha, I don't have to worry about leaks as I make major structural changes based on feedback.
Bot support will probably be the last thing I add once the map is ready for release, also what did you have in mind for the platform by the shards?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-07-2015 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that planned, or a bug (missing heights)?
On that platform, where the armor shards are floating, you should add a holdable or a powerup (or more of them) in my opinion.
You should test your map wih bots, because people likes to play with bots. Turn more attention on bot support!
:up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-08-2015 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, this looks nice. i definitely think this is an improvement over your last two layouts. :up:

at first i also thought the layout was too simple, but after running the bottom level i liked the way the rooms were connected. it is a bottom loop, but there are elevation changes and there is also an interesting one-way path slicing through the middle holding the LG. the caged central YA is also an interesting idea.

at this point i would just focus on what the battles are going to be like between the RA and MH (see my item placement guide, section 1.6: Pathing). right now the obvious choice from RA to MH is the bouncer, but this is also the riskiest way. this is a good balance, although i do think taking a bouncer through a circular hole in the floor is a bit gimmicky and is likely to annoy more serious players. this is probably the weak point of the map for me.

i also thought the teleporter system was extremely weird. the tele by the GL makes you think you are going to end up straight above on the tall platform, and indeed you do come out on a raised platform, but it's a different one on the other side of the map. is this bad? i'm not sure without testing, but i know it would take me some getting used to for me. if you keep it this way, make sure when you detail the map you spend a lot of time distinguishing these areas from each other.

anyway, solid work. it would be cool to see you finish this one.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-09-2015 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:

Is that planned, or a bug (missing heights)?
On that platform, where the armor shards are floating, you should add a holdable or a powerup (or more of them) in my opinion.
You should test your map wih bots, because people likes to play with bots. Turn more attention on bot support!
:up:

The missing gap was planed, the idea was you'd be able to grenade over to the other side and spam the RA which was in a different spot. Odds are I'll end up just filling the gap or doing something else with it in my next build.

As for the platform by the shards I don't think either of the two power ups (quad and BS) would really work in duel same goes for a holdable.

I'm really not sure how to get bots working, if bot support was something where I could just flip a switch or something I'd be more than happy to get it working but I think it takes a bit more work then that which would take away time I could be using on the map as a whole.

Pat Howard wrote:
hey, this looks nice. i definitely think this is an improvement over your last two layouts. :up:

at first i also thought the layout was too simple, but after running the bottom level i liked the way the rooms were connected. it is a bottom loop, but there are elevation changes and there is also an interesting one-way path slicing through the middle holding the LG. the caged central YA is also an interesting idea.

at this point i would just focus on what the battles are going to be like between the RA and MH (see my item placement guide, section 1.6: Pathing). right now the obvious choice from RA to MH is the bouncer, but this is also the riskiest way. this is a good balance, although i do think taking a bouncer through a circular hole in the floor is a bit gimmicky and is likely to annoy more serious players. this is probably the weak point of the map for me.

i also thought the teleporter system was extremely weird. the tele by the GL makes you think you are going to end up straight above on the tall platform, and indeed you do come out on a raised platform, but it's a different one on the other side of the map. is this bad? i'm not sure without testing, but i know it would take me some getting used to for me. if you keep it this way, make sure when you detail the map you spend a lot of time distinguishing these areas from each other.

anyway, solid work. it would be cool to see you finish this one.

Hey pat I'm glad you like the map, your feedback on my last map and your write up on connectivity systems(great read btw!) was a big driving force behind this one.

For the bounce pad by the MH was it just the circle in the floor that you thought was gimmicky or did you think the whole set piece (hole in the floor, position of the bounce pad, ect) was gimmicky?

I agree the teleporter setup is pretty non standard, like I said in my notes I had reflex/cpma maps on the mind while making this one and something I noticed a lot about those maps is they tend to have teleporters that take you pretty far across the map. I think its to help stimulate movement and allow you to move around the map more freely, I agree though that it could use some testing which is why I put some more work into the Q3 version of my map this time since hopefully I'll be able to test it out soon.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-09-2015 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scorch_ wrote:
I'm really not sure how to get bots working

what exactly is your problem with bot support? are you just not sure which commands to use? if that's the case, i've included a simple batch file below:
Code:
set Q3_PATH="path to your q3a folder"
set COMP_PATH="path to q3map2.exe"
set BOT_PATH="path to bspc.exe"
set MAP_PATH="path to your .map file"
set GEN_OPTIONS=-fs_basepath %Q3_PATH%

%COMP_PATH% -meta %GEN_OPTIONS% %MAP_PATH%
%COMP_PATH% -vis %GEN_OPTIONS% %MAP_PATH%
%COMP_PATH% -light -fast -patchshadows -samples 6 -bounce 16 -dirty %GEN_OPTIONS% %MAP_PATH%
%BOT_PATH% -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas %MAP_PATH%

pause

throw that in a text file named filename.bat with the file paths filled in and you're good to go. of course, you'll have to have your map properly sealed up from the void for bots to work as expected.

note: if you are just working with quake live and haven't installed q3a then i'm not sure what the file paths will look like. in that case you may have to do some searching on your own, or maybe check out cityy's guides on the QL forums.

Scorch_ wrote:
Hey pat I'm glad you like the map, your feedback on my last map and your write up on connectivity systems(great read btw!) was a big driving force behind this one.

great! i wasn't sure how many people read that, so it's nice to know it helped you.

Scorch_ wrote:
For the bounce pad by the MH was it just the circle in the floor that you thought was gimmicky or did you think the whole set piece (hole in the floor, position of the bounce pad, ect) was gimmicky?

i just don't like the mechanic of having a bouncer shoot through a circular hole in the floor. i always worry about hitting my head, and it's impossible to see if your opponent is waiting for you when you get up there, hence the gimmicky feeling.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-20-2015 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Pat thanks for the help so far, I've run into a slight snag with the script you gave me. After filling out the file paths and running it as a .bat file a command prompt will pop up and do a whole bunch of stuff thats similar to compiling a map with gtkradiant, the problem is that after doing that it doesn't produce an .aas file the only thing it seems to do is make the map brighter (before: 1 2 after: 1 2) Below I've included the script with the paths filled out let me know if something wrong with it.

Code:
set Q3_PATH="E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Quake 3 Arena"
set COMP_PATH="E:\maps\ql mapping\GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213\q3map2.exe"
set BOT_PATH="E:\maps\ql mapping\GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213\bspc.exe"
set MAP_PATH="E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map"

%COMP_PATH% -light -fast -patchshadows -samples 6 -bounce 16 -dirty %GEN_OPTIONS% %MAP_PATH%

Another issue I've been having with this map specifically in quake 3 is texture related, I can't seem to get the textures for the bounce pad, spinny things below items, and teleporters working. Previously I also couldn't get the sky texture to work but fixed that by editing a shader script, I tried to do the same with the other textures but it didn't work. All the right textures are in the right folder and they show up just fine in radiant but for some reason just appear as the default black box with white outline texture in quake 3. 1 2 3

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-20-2015 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you get a log file after the AAS complier done?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-20-2015 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:
Did you get a log file after the AAS complier done?

No, I didn't get a log file in either the quake 3 folder or the gtkradiant folder.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-21-2015 03:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want post the *.map File. I will try to compile it and post a full compile-log.
Just send me an PM

EDIT: Without an Log its hard to find the Error. Once i had the problem that some 45deg rotated patch-cylinders caused an error that ended up in a broken AAS.
I like the Map but would also say do something cool with the floatin armor-shards-platform... Maybe remove the bars in the window to the YA. You have to get that AAS fixed so you can try out gameplay a bit.

Take a look at my killer Paint-Skills!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-21-2015 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
If you want post the *.map File. I will try to compile it and post a full compile-log.
Just send me an PM

EDIT: Without an Log its hard to find the Error. Once i had the problem that some 45deg rotated patch-cylinders caused an error that ended up in a broken AAS.
I like the Map but would also say do something cool with the floatin armor-shards-platform... Maybe remove the bars in the window to the YA. You have to get that AAS fixed so you can try out gameplay a bit.

Take a look at my killer Paint-Skills!

Heres the .map file if you need any others just let me know.

Download

As for your suggested changes, I understand why you'd suggest removing the pillar up top but I'm not so sure I understand the addition of a jump pad on top of the teleporter platform. For the bars below are you suggesting I remove the stairs and turn the bars into a ramp or that I should just remove the bars and add a small ledge that a player can trick jump up similar to the windows on cpm15?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-21-2015 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BOT FILE PART:

D:\QLMapping\Q3Map2Build>"D:\QLMapping\GtkRadiant\bspc.exe" -bsp2aas "D:\QLMappi
ng\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp" -forcesidesvisible -optimize
Opened log bspc.log
BSPC version 2.1h, Aug 24 2013 23:20:03
forcesidesvisible = true
optimize = true
bsp2aas: D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp to D:\QLMapping\
wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.aas
-- Q3_LoadMapFromBSP --
Loading map from D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp...
6954 triangles
810 patch tris
creating planar surface planes...
searching visible brush sides...
7722 brush sides
7722 brush sides textured out of 7722
nummapbrushsides = 15113
94 curve brushes
1 threads
-------- Brush CSG ---------
2238 original brushes
1887 output brushes
-------- Brush BSP ---------
1887 brushes
10761 visible faces
0 nonvisible faces
13413 total sides
Win32 multi-threading
1 threads max
depth first bsp building
11310ERROR: Tried parent
Closed log bspc.log

D:\QLMapping\Q3Map2Build>Pause
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

Rest:
entering scripts/dc_clientpak.shader
entering scripts/gfx.shader
entering scripts/gfx2.shader
entering scripts/gothic_block.shader
entering scripts/gothic_button.shader
entering scripts/gothic_door.shader
entering scripts/gothic_floor.shader
entering scripts/gothic_floor2.shader
entering scripts/gothic_light.shader
entering scripts/gothic_trim.shader
entering scripts/gothic_wall.shader
entering scripts/grunge.shader
entering scripts/industrial.shader
entering scripts/jk_tourney1.shader
entering scripts/liquid.shader
entering scripts/liquid2.shader
entering scripts/liquids.shader
entering scripts/models.shader
entering scripts/models2.shader
entering scripts/models3.shader
entering scripts/organics.shader
entering scripts/pi.shader
entering scripts/proto2.shader
WARNING: Unknown surfaceparm: "woodsteps"
entering scripts/se_blockout.shader
entering scripts/se_gothic.shader
entering scripts/se_industrial.shader
entering scripts/sfx.shader
WARNING: Unknown surfaceparm: "nomipmaps"
entering scripts/sfx2.shader
entering scripts/shw.shader
entering scripts/skin.shader
entering scripts/skies.shader
entering scripts/skies2.shader
entering scripts/spider.shader
entering scripts/stone.shader
entering scripts/terrain.shader
entering scripts/tim.shader
entering scripts/tp_gothic.shader
entering scripts/q3map.shader
entering scripts/ql.shader
WARNING: Unknown surfaceparm: "snowsteps"
entering scripts/ct_infinity.shader
entering scripts/focalpoint.shader
entering scripts/phongtest.shader
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map
entering D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/base_light/proto_light_nonsolid

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/base_light/baslt4_1_2k_nonsolid

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sfx/bounce_neutral
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sfx/red_techfloor_kc
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sfx/portal_opaque_static
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sfx/bounce_dkfloor_teal
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sfx/ntrl_techfloor_kc
WARNING: Over 90 percent structural map detected. Compile time may be adversely
affected.
0 areaportals
Size: -2648, -1856, -512 to 1792, 1024, 1152
block size = { 1024 1024 1024 }
221 leafs filled
writing D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.prt
--- WriteSurfaceExtraFile ---
Writing D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.srf
Writing D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp
Wrote 1.1 MB (1202728 bytes)
4 seconds elapsed

D:\QLMapping\Q3Map2Build>"D:\QLMapping\GtkRadiant\q3map2.exe" -fs_basepath "D:\Q
LMapping\wolfcamql10.3" -fs_game "baseq3" -vis "D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq
3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map"
2 threads
Q3Map - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17
GtkRadiant - v1.6.4 Dec 13 2013 17:23:59
We're still here
VFS Init: D:/QLMapping/wolfcamql10.3/baseq3/

--- Vis ---
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.prt
1484 portalclusters
4476 numportals
5607 numfaces
8952 active portals
0 hint portals
visdatasize:284936

--- BasePortalVis (8952) ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (2)
9 average number of passages per leaf
45 MB required passage memory

--- CreatePassages (8952) ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (4)

--- PassagePortalFlow (8952) ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (41)
creating leaf vis...
Total visible clusters: 352892
Average clusters visible: 237
Wrote 1.4 MB (1487664 bytes)
48 seconds elapsed

D:\QLMapping\Q3Map2Build>"D:\QLMapping\GtkRadiant\q3map2.exe" -fs_basepath "D:\Q
LMapping\wolfcamql10.3" -fs_game "baseq3" -light "D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\bas
eq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map"
2 threads
Q3Map - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17
GtkRadiant - v1.6.4 Dec 13 2013 17:23:59
We're still here
VFS Init: D:/QLMapping/wolfcamql10.3/baseq3/

--- Light ---
entering scripts/shaderlist.txt
entering scripts/ad_content.shader
entering scripts/ad_trim.shader
entering scripts/base_button.shader
entering scripts/base_door.shader
entering scripts/base_floor.shader
entering scripts/base_floor2.shader
entering scripts/base_light.shader
entering scripts/base_object.shader
entering scripts/base_support.shader
entering scripts/base_trim.shader
entering scripts/base_wall.shader
entering scripts/base_wall2.shader
entering scripts/camper.shader
entering scripts/cliffside.shader
entering scripts/common.shader
entering scripts/ctf.shader
entering scripts/ctf2.shader
entering scripts/dc_clientpak.shader
entering scripts/gfx.shader
entering scripts/gfx2.shader
entering scripts/gothic_block.shader
entering scripts/gothic_button.shader
entering scripts/gothic_door.shader
entering scripts/gothic_floor.shader
entering scripts/gothic_floor2.shader
entering scripts/gothic_light.shader
entering scripts/gothic_trim.shader
entering scripts/gothic_wall.shader
entering scripts/grunge.shader
entering scripts/industrial.shader
entering scripts/jk_tourney1.shader
entering scripts/liquid.shader
entering scripts/liquid2.shader
entering scripts/liquids.shader
entering scripts/models.shader
entering scripts/models2.shader
entering scripts/models3.shader
entering scripts/organics.shader
entering scripts/pi.shader
entering scripts/proto2.shader
entering scripts/se_blockout.shader
entering scripts/se_gothic.shader
entering scripts/se_industrial.shader
entering scripts/sfx.shader
entering scripts/sfx2.shader
entering scripts/shw.shader
entering scripts/skin.shader
entering scripts/skies.shader
entering scripts/skies2.shader
entering scripts/spider.shader
entering scripts/stone.shader
entering scripts/terrain.shader
entering scripts/tim.shader
entering scripts/tp_gothic.shader
entering scripts/q3map.shader
entering scripts/ql.shader
entering scripts/ct_infinity.shader
entering scripts/focalpoint.shader
entering scripts/phongtest.shader
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.bsp
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.srf
Loading D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map
entering D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3v013q3.map
--- SetupGrid ---
Grid size = { 64, 64, 128 }
45080 grid points
324 point lights
0 spotlights
262 diffuse (area) lights
1 sun/sky lights
532 total lights
55 culled lights
--- TraceGrid ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (1)
70 x 46 x 14 = 45080 grid
--- MapRawLightmap ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (0)
133448 luxels
90872 luxels mapped
4773 luxels occluded
532 total lights
0 culled lights
--- IlluminateRawLightmap ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (13)
133448 luxels illuminated
--- IlluminateVertexes ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (0)
12507 vertexes illuminated
--- StoreSurfaceLightmaps ---
108864 luxels used
131072 luxels stored (83.06 percent efficiency)
217 solid surface lightmaps
161 identical surface lightmaps, using 20635 luxels
0 vertex forced surfaces
0 vertex approximated surfaces
8 BSP lightmaps
8 total lightmaps
46 unique lightmap/shader combinations
Wrote 2.1 MB (2241520 bytes)
24 seconds elapsed

I had the same error with rotated curves in a map... I will take a look, maybe i find the problem.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-21-2015 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yaay, hail to the box! I think i cant help you with that. Id would remove the box and search for the error. Your curves are not sealed to the VOID, but i think this should not be a problem cause its a Box. Sorry Man!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2015 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@scorch: hmm... i have a separate folder for q3map2. the whole package can be downloaded here, in the "downloads" section. i use the q3map2.exe and bspc.exe that comes with that download. here's what my paths look like:

Code:
set Q3_PATH="C:\Program Files\Quake iii arena"
set COMP_PATH="C:\Program Files\Quake iii arena\q3map2\q3map2.exe"
set BOT_PATH="C:\Program Files\Quake iii arena\q3map2\bspc.exe"
set MAP_PATH="C:\Program Files\Quake iii arena\baseq3\maps\raptor.map"

pause

as far as debugging, try using the "pause" command after each line. the command prompt will then wait for you to press any key before it continues on to the next line. that way, you can read everything that happened up to that point and look for any errors.

and as andy said, if you haven't properly sealed up your map at this point, i would do that before trying to compile the .aas file. it will probably work either way as long as the map isn't leaked, but the .bsp and .aas compiles will be more efficient if the map is sealed.

hope you figure it out.
pat

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have another idea! Select all you stuff and move it some units in every direction + height. That fixed a problem that i had once. Its worth a try, sometimes its just strange simple suff ;)

FOGRET IT! Just tried.
It looks like you have problems with some curves, i tried to fix what if found. This is exactly the error i had 2 months ago. I deleted the curves and rebuild them. Maybe its worth a try to botclip the curves.

D:\QLMapping\Q3Map2Build>"D:\QLMapping\GtkRadiant\bspc.exe" -bsp2aas "D:\QLMappi
ng\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp" -forcesidesvisible -optimize
Opened log bspc.log
forcesidesvisible = true
optimize = true
bsp2aas: D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp to D:\QLMapping\wolfca
mql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.aas
-- Q3_LoadMapFromBSP --
Loading map from D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp...
6971 triangles
792 patch tris
7610 brush sides
7610 brush sides textured out of 7610
nummapbrushsides = 14855
42 curve brushesWARNING: CM_AddFacetBevels... invalid bevel
WARNING: CM_AddFacetBevels... invalid bevel
63 curve brushesWARNING: CM_AddFacetBevels... invalid bevel
92 curve brushes
1 threads
2194 original brushes
1845 output brushes
1845 brushes
10501 visible faces
0 nonvisible faces
13140 total sides
Win32 multi-threading
1 threads max
depth first bsp building
11789ERROR: Tried parent
Closed log bspc.log

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay,
I removed the box and sealed the map up. Also I found the invalid bevels and fixed them.
But still this ERROR remains:

ng\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp" -forcesidesvisible -optimize
Opened log bspc.log
forcesidesvisible = true
optimize = true
bsp2aas: D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp to D:\QLMapping\wolfca
mql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.aas
-- Q3_LoadMapFromBSP --
Loading map from D:\QLMapping\wolfcamql10.3\baseq3\maps\scdm3.bsp...
6640 triangles
594 patch tris
7614 brush sides
7614 brush sides textured out of 7614
nummapbrushsides = 14863
62 curve brushes
1 threads
2134 original brushes
1826 output brushes
1826 brushes
10408 visible faces
0 nonvisible faces
13009 total sides
Win32 multi-threading
1 threads max
depth first bsp building
11775ERROR: Tried parent
Closed log bspc.log

Any Ideas??

EDIT:
Found some stuff here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?act ... pic=5114.0

I will try on, i love bugfixing :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GOOD NEWS MAN!
I was able to fix it, now you have Bot-support Sir! :rtcw:
I dont know what caused the error so i started deleting stuff, lights, some items, lava and Voila- it worked. Some items were stuck into walls. I deleted the teleporter-links. You have to rebuild some small things that i killed but i did only some changes to the Jumper and deleted some curves and seald up stuff... And removed the box :)
I also removed the sky-texture for testing, here you go! :)

Always take care to seal up curved-patches from the void! Cityy did an amazing tutorial about this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW33w0-z0Qk

I send you a link via PM!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-29-2015 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat Howard wrote:
as far as debugging, try using the "pause" command after each line. the command prompt will then wait for you to press any key before it continues on to the next line. that way, you can read everything that happened up to that point and look for any errors.

and as andy said, if you haven't properly sealed up your map at this point, i would do that before trying to compile the .aas file. it will probably work either way as long as the map isn't leaked, but the .bsp and .aas compiles will be more efficient if the map is sealed.

hope you figure it out.
pat

AndyW wrote:
Yaay, hail to the box! I think i cant help you with that. Id would remove the box and search for the error. Your curves are not sealed to the VOID, but i think this should not be a problem cause its a Box. Sorry Man!

So I went ahead and removed the box and sealed the map up properly as Andy suggested, I also used the pause command at the end of the .bat file and found the problem. "11440error: tried parent" seems to be the error thats causing the script to not produce an .aas file, I found a thread on the openarena forums discussing this problem and it seems to have something to do with a faulty brush some where. So now I just have to go through and do some cleanup until I find the problem, big thanks to the both of you for all your help!

Also would either of you happen to have any idea why I cant get the textures to the teleporter, spinny things under the weapons, and bounce pads to work, all three of them are made up of multiple image files so is that just some kind of limitation with quake 3? The thing I find odd about them is that when I was trying to fix the sky I got a few error messages in the console about it but with the other textures I get nothing so I'm not even sure where to start.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the Textures: Did you add them to the Shaderlist.txt??

Last edited by AndyW on 09-30-2015 01:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
For the Textures: Did you add them to the Shader.File??

Yea I've added the shader files to the right folder, maybe I need to edit them? When I was fixing the sky texture I had to edit the shader file to remove one of the layers other wise the map would always crash on startup sending me back to to the main menu with a bunch of errors but with these other textures (telelporter, spinny thing, bounce pad) I get no such errors and they appear as the default black and white checkerboard texture.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm...
You have to add your custom shaders to the shaderlist.txt located in ***\scripts\shaderlist.txt
http://de.ws.q3df.org/level_design/add_shader/
I just noticed that some of your shader-textures are in *.png format, i dont know if this could cause the problem.
Some of the Shader Gurus over here might help you ;)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Hmm...
You have to add your custom shaders to the shaderlist.txt located in ***\scripts\shaderlist.txt
http://de.ws.q3df.org/level_design/add_shader/
I just noticed that some of your shader-textures are in *.png format, i dont know if this could cause the problem.
Some of the Shader Gurus over here might help you ;)

The textures show up in radiant just fine both in the menus and in the preview window, I just can't get them to work in q3 is the problem.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 04:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Andy already pointed it out. Always use .tga in your shaders. Never .png.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
Andy already pointed it out. Always use .tga in your shaders. Never .png.

I think I misread what he said and thought he was talking about something to do with radiant so my bad on that, in any case I already tried converting the textures for the bounce pad to .tga and it didn't seem to fix the issue. Also for redundancy I just converted the spinny things and the teleporter texture to .tga and still ended up with the default checkerboard textures.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your paths in Shader files.
Shaders added to the SHADERLIST.TXT ??? Y or N ? :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use / instead of \ in the texture paths and do not use uppercase letters.
Also check the console for errors ingame, when you loaded your map.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Check your paths in Shader files.
Shaders added to the SHADERLIST.TXT ??? Y or N ? :)

The shaders are added to the shaderlist.txt and the paths in the shader files are correct.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope you meant you replaced all instances of, ".png" in your shader files with, ".tga", rather than converting actual image files. Forward slashes and non-tga/jpg extensions in the shader file itself. Maybe you did that already, but you mentioned converting so I just want to make it absolutely clear.

Did you post a DL link? I'm on my phone but when I get home I can settle this once and for all, provided I have the map.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
I hope you meant you replaced all instances of, ".png" in your shader files with, ".tga", rather than converting actual image files. Forward slashes and non-tga/jpg extensions in the shader file itself. Maybe you did that already, but you mentioned converting so I just want to make it absolutely clear.

Did you post a DL link? I'm on my phone but when I get home I can settle this once and for all, provided I have the map.

Download

Heres the full pk3 it should have all the shader scripts and textures. I did check within the shader files them self to make sure everything was correct and as far as I could tell it all checked out, as for the converting I was talking about converting .png/.jpg textures to .tga.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, on my phone again, but in SFX.shader one of the shader names ends with a /. I dunno if this actually causes issues, but I assume it does. It likely does.

WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'textures/skies/meth_clouds.tga' in
shader 'textures/skies/meth_clouds4'
Shader textures/skies/meth_clouds4 has a stage with no image
WARNING: unknown general shader parameter 'novlcollapse' in
'textures/sfx/portal_opaque_

Novlcollapse makes shaders not work, delete that parm. Then there's a missing .

Seems the other ones are also simply missing textures.

Last edited by KittenIgnition on 10-01-2015 06:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Run the game, load your map, and CHECK THE CONSOLE. :!:
You will see yellow texts which tells you what and where are the errors.

I don't think it's a good idea to overwriting the original shaders like "sfx.shader".
Better rename it for surely work.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
Well, on my phone again, but in SFX.shader one of the shader names ends with a /. I dunno if this actually causes issues, but I assume it does. It likely does.

WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'textures/skies/meth_clouds.tga' in
shader 'textures/skies/meth_clouds4'
Shader textures/skies/meth_clouds4 has a stage with no image
WARNING: unknown general shader parameter 'novlcollapse' in
'textures/sfx/portal_opaque_

Novlcollapse makes shaders not work, delete that parm. Then there's a missing .

Seems the other ones are also simply missing textures.

The only place I could find the novlcollapse parm in the shader file was by the teleporter related stuff and removing it seemed to have no effect, there shouldn't be any missing textures as far as I know. Also I don't encounter the meth_cloud related errors when loading the map, does the sky texture work for you or is it just the default checkerboard one?

Martinus wrote:
Run the game, load your map, and CHECK THE CONSOLE. :!:
You will see yellow texts which tells you what and where are the errors.

I don't think it's a good idea to overwriting the original shaders like "sfx.shader".
Better rename it for surely work.

The only error I see in the console when loading up the map is "WARNING: unknown general shader parameter 'novlcollapse' in
'models/players/sarge/band"

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rule of thumb:

Test your levels in clean quake 3 folders, it's 2015, I'm sure ~500MB of space can be spared for a clean copy.

Name shaders and folders after the level or yourself, for example like I do, hipshot_NNN1 or hipshot_NNN5

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never release maps so I have one bigass "kitteh.shader" which I copy necessary ones out of and put in another shader called mapname.shader(if I'm giving it to someone to test or mess around on), so in a way I follow that rule and when you're messing with someone else's game, definitely be as thorough as you can, and avoid as many conflicts as you can.

The meth clouds texture is not in the pk3 that you linked, there is a bunch of novlcollapse in the sfx shader, and there is an error in the console which means the shader exists on the map somewhere. There were a few other errors that I can't test on my phone, but they are there and I can find em later for you.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.