Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Help with Mapping: CTF, AAS and Music Problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Help with Mapping: CTF, AAS and Music Problems

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-16-2015 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also the wireframe view remains!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-16-2015 10:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Also the wireframe view remains!

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Settings -> Camera -> Render Mode

If this value is set on 'Wireframe' change it to 'Textured'.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is no Settings in Preferences, and why the bots don't use the jump pads in my level?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
... and why the bots don't use the jump pads in my level?

In CTF it's a very common problem that bots using only one route, ignoring all the alternative paths.
In FFA they're going mainly for the items. In CTF they are attracted more by the flags and choose the shortest path to go for.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the mytest2.map I uploaded, and it is FFA.
I wish every FFA map in Q3 had CTF support, and vice-versa, since Doom maps have both Singleplayer, Coop and Deathmatch support.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
It's the mytest2.map I uploaded, and it is FFA.

"mytest2" don't have a jumppad.
I found one in "gusq3ctf2" and everything in this map is very tiny. Maybe it's to cramped at the jumppad area. Bots only use jumppads if they land safely on the ledge. Without bumping their heads. :D

You should make your maps in a much bigger scale. Give a little bit more space to navigate, for bots & humans. ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot I have to reupload mytest2.
It now have a HOM bug but no caulk, no leak.
New version!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
It now have a HOM bug but no caulk, no leak.

Your ramp-floor & ceiling vertices are off grid. This creates the HOM when you enter the ramp. If you still stuck in this wireframe 3D view, you probably can't see it in the editor. Delete the ramp floor & ceiling brushes & rebuilt it by hand. (no CSG Subtract)

Note: Mappers should always turn on "r_clear 1" in Q3.
This replaces the HOM with a bright magenta. So you can see missing textures or in this case little sparklies where the ramp floor connects to the rest of the world. This often points to misplaced vertices or broken brushes.

There is also a small caulk-brush inside your BFG-balkony causing HOM.

Note: Do not use "Hollow" or even worse "CSG Subtract".
I know, with this functions, you can create stuff very fast. But the results are also very inaccurate. "Hollow" creates a lot of overlapping brushes with nasty z-fighting. "CSG Subtract" creates chaotic brushwork often with vertices off grid. (like your ramp)

Use instead: Clipper (X) or DragEdges (E) or DragFace (Cotrol+LMB) to manipulate brushes.

Bot jumppad problem:
Bots are often a little bit lazy. They don't wanna do fancy stuff to reach the jumppad like: jumping onto 2 ledges.
If you make them a small botclip-step between the 2 ledges, they will use it as stairs and finally reach the jumppads. (tested & confirmed) ;)

Caulk behind the curve:
You should also put some caulk on the sides of the wall. Curves should not overlap other faces. Otherwise it will cause z-fights.
Example how to do it:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 06:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh thank you! I will try to make things by hand. Some safer way to make stuff quickly?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Some safer way to make stuff quickly?

Yeah, its called: "routine" ;) Or if you want you can pre-build stuff like stairs in a seperate map and copy/paste it or make it a model.
But start with the basics!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok. How to mark actors as suspended? Render mode doesn't seem to affect worldspawn brushes.
Released newest version (!), please align the jump pads, it is impossible at wireframe mode!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you enjoyed mytest2? Please send feedback on:
- What is wrong;
- What could be better;
- Suggestions in what to add;
- Email (for receiving update notifications).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Following the newest version, I made ramps instead, so it was easier for bots to use the jump pads.
I need themjump pads to be aligned as in wireframe I can't do it!
I also need to suspend the Invisibility powerup as it appears in the ground.
And the Render Mode only affect the non-brush entites, but no polys show!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's strange. What video card? There is a bug with ATI graphics that cause disappearing polygons :arrow: wireframe view. There should be option in preferences that should correct the bug...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I checked that option much time ago. Happens I have an Intel HD Graphics. I forgot the rest.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 02:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is very bad when you have to do stuff with only wireframe in GtkRadiant. Maybe some other Radiant will show fully rendered brushes instead.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried updating video drivers. Intel drivers are pretty shitty and sometimes hit and miss between versions.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-22-2015 06:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The auto detector says they're up to date. I really trust it. I hate Intel drivers on Windows 10 too, but I can do nothing.
Oh, this also affects Minecraft! I can't launch due to "pixel format not accelerated", but this won't be discussed here for obvious reasons.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-22-2015 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, Win 10 and shitty Microsoft drivers. I think you can still return back to Win 7 or Win 8, don't you?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-22-2015 11:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe after a month, but this already occured to me when I had Windows 8.1.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am planning to align the jump pads in MYTEST2, but this is going to be troublesome. Any help?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
I am planning to align the jump pads in MYTEST2, but this is going to be troublesome. Any help?

In Radiant:
Select the brush face (jumppad texture) in the 3D view with SHIFT+CTRL+LMB
Fit texture with SHIFT+B or Surface Inspector -> Texturing -> Brush -> Fit

But you must definitely get rid of the wireframe problem. Try another GFX driver (maybe an older version).
Or use a desktop PC with a "real" GFX-card. You don't need a modern one. Even 10 year old hardware works fine with Radiant. (excluding compile time issues) :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 02:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Four small copies of the texture appears instead of one, big jump pad when I Fit it!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 02:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What??!! I messed up some random settings out of boredness, and now I get full view!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 05:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remade Mytest2 to much more eyecandy in under 1 day. Why was the original .map file I uploaded some days ago downed either?
EDIT: It was so cool I decided to make it oficially GusQ3DM3! I had to remove a music because it was from the Judas Priest.. I replaced with a roalty-free one instead. I was thinking of an easter egg to include the music credits... but instead I just made a text file.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry. It was actually gusq3dm5 but I misnamed it. Even then download and Feel the Power!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-26-2015 06:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know now why the jump pad problem. My High Resolution Texture Package (HRTP) just halved the jump pad textures scale! It halves textures for "better resolution" whereas it comes with "fixed maps" where unproperly-scaled textures are fixed!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-26-2015 07:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the whole map is too small. Not the gameplay layout, but the scale. I feel like a fish in a small bowl aquarium. Nevertheless the textures, the map needs to be enlarged. The layout itself is good, make some tweaks to make it even better (e.g. the Quad spawns weird - swap the tele destination and the Quad?). What about Grappling Hook? I think it's not necessary here... The map is like rust7's Sewers of Fate, which is averagely the same size and similar quality (well, not looking to texturing). Larger scale will fix the player bumping to things around...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-26-2015 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback!
I already have another project in mind. This is MyTest4:

EDIT: v0.2

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you feel like this topic is starting to have to be locked? That's what I feel.
But before:
AAS isn't compiling for a map, and one of its floors is not colliding (I fall from the map if I try to step in it)! Does this correlate somehow? How to fix it?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-28-2019 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How is the map Gustavo6046 ?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.