Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        QuakeLive is fucked

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: QuakeLive is fucked

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After this last update, the game is no longer free and people have lost their 5-year-old stats and friends/clan lists. GG Bethesda.
http://kotaku.com/quake-live-fans-are-a ... 1739068130

You can only play on Steam and they deleted their forums. :olo: :tear:
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WTF :offended:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RIP quake

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I heard it was going steam only. Didn't know about the $10 though. I assume all the premium stuff is included?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's an ancient game. Let it go, people...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I always thought Quake Live had a different feel to it than Q3A. Were the physics not a bit different or am I imagining shit?

I never played QL more than a few times back when it first came out just to check it out but I can't say I am entirely surprised.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So how's about that Q3A server then, now that QL is gone? :olo:

Last edited by mrd on 10-27-2015 05:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never even played Quake Live, but it still sticks in my craw to see Bethesda doing this. Especially fucking over the community after 5 years. They couldn't take a page from id's book?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear you, it's a shit move, but from my understanding Bethesda is a bit of a shit company like that.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

You can only play on Steam and they deleted their forums. :olo: :tear:
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/

Come to us my pretties

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:eek: I am off for a look as I paid for this a while ago..

After a 1 gig update I see things have changed, even as a paid up subscriber (forever) ... Fired up Steam and played a little. Bots are still dumb. There weren't many people on (locally at least).

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just loaded this up on steam and didn't have to pay anything.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All that crying for nothing? Lol morons...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I just loaded this up on steam and didn't have to pay anything.

I didn't either. Are you a previous subscriber shaft?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, but I had the game already installed from when it first was on steam.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
No, but I had the game already installed from when it first was on steam.

Interesting.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I don't see any problem with what they did. They added steam works, all the premium content, allow anyone to run or host a server, and didn't charge anyone who already paid or got the game from steam already. They did work for their $10.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This game used to be free. Now it's not. If I don't want to play on Steam, I no longer have an option.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 11:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol quake

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-27-2015 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funny, today I played more Team Fortress 2 than I have in so long...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Yeah I don't see any problem with what they did. They added steam works, all the premium content, allow anyone to run or host a server, and didn't charge anyone who already paid or got the game from steam already. They did work for their $10.

I don't think the $10 is really the problem. It's that all stats, friends lists, clan groups and achievements are gone. Nothing was announced in advance so I can see why some people are disgruntled about this.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
This game used to be free. Now it's not. If I don't want to play on Steam, I no longer have an option.

I guess that's the chance you take when you play a free game that relies on revenue to keep the backend running. Please justify your entitlement for them to supply you with free games forever.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
shaft wrote:

I don't think the $10 is really the problem. It's that all stats, friends lists, clan groups and achievements are gone. Nothing was announced in advance so I can see why some people are disgruntled about this.

Fairly certain I read weeks ago it was moving to Stream only. Was there something in the EULA that guaranteed all that stuff would be available indefinitely?

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played on there for a while to and didn't think it was all that great so don't care if they charge or not, so there, (grin), I bet they don't care if I play there anymore either

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm.. yeah I never really got back into Qlive, it never quite felt the same. I used to fire it up occasionally for a couple weeks at a time, but probably not frequently enough for me to bother paying for it (cheap as it is). I suppose it will eventually be on steam-sale though...

Shaft - you weren't a subscriber then? I was playing non-subscriber QL on Steam, but hadn't re-installed since I got this new laptop. Now it's off my library list and the only option is to pay on the store.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not a subscriber and mine's still there and I can run it :shrug:.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is the last update. They are basicly done with quakelive. They have turned it back over to the comunity. There will now be custom maps aloud, dedicated servers aloud, lan, etc.etc.etc. You will just have to redo your friends lists on steam and stats are broke now with the server situation. But may return in the future somehow.
This has been in the works and a known fact for 6 months or more, its no surprise.
I really couldn't care less, I have had a pro account for years and hardly played. pfffft. I like to watch the tourneys on twitch, but thats about all I do now.

H1Z1 ftw.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turning it back over to the community may well bring fresh life into it, how is it a bad thing?

H1Z1 was great, I've got ~117 hours clocked up on it and played it exclusively with friends (speaking over Skype was a must to coordinate!). Unfortunately we got got bored of the bugs and that there was never really anything to "do" once you had your base set-up. Once you get a couple of vehicles roaming the map to collect resources for bases was fairly easy. We did have some hilarious times on it though, like the time me and a friend was cruising down the road and saw a police car by the side of the road. I jumped out, jumped in the car and we took off being shot at by its owners. A couple of minutes later another police car and vehicle turned up and we had an epic race to get away having now two vehicles full of loot :D.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I guess that's the chance you take when you play a free game that relies on revenue to keep the backend running. Please justify your entitlement for them to supply you with free games forever.

Backend like hosting servers and bug fixes? They could have just opened the source for the community to do it themselves. After all, only the truly dedicated few are still playing. How much money can that game possibly bring them in now?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye pretty much, It's gone from free to play in 2010 to paid in 2015. It's a cash grab from a game that was essentially shelved. We're not asking them to supply us with free games, I just think it's a dick move from Bethesda to pull the plug, shut down the community and expect those fans to pay up.

The only people it hurts is the fans and for what ?.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the backup plan if one day I try to load quake3world.com/forum and I get file not found? Besides going outside.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
What's the backup plan if one day I try to load quake3world.com/forum and I get file not found? Besides going outside.

Holy crap, how will you live?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:

Take comfort in knowing that it was me who destroyed the forum once and for all... Then I truly won't have a life...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cross post from LEM:

Quote:
If you ever had QL on your Steam account back when it was free, it stays in there as already purchased. QL has been on Steam for a while now, if you had any intention of playing it, you would probably have it by now.

It's $10 for Quake Live. To put that into perspective, if you wanted to buy Quake 3 Arena on Steam right now, it's $20!!! I'm also sure that it'll be cheaper on Steam sales. Will it affect new players? Perhaps. But the problem for new players for such an old game will always be retention. As a free game, some people will just download it, run around for a match and then never play it again. That adds nothing to the community.

On the plus side, there are now bigger map rotations, private servers (great for new players), and Steam Workshop for custom content. In the long run, I think this is overall positive. The only thing I think Bethesda could have handled better was some kind of migration of player data, and not wiping out the QL forums which had a bunch of resources written by the community, including some tutorials by cityy and myself.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 09:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But $10 :cry:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.