Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Cap Selection seems broken

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cap Selection seems broken

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on GtkRadiant 1.6.3 and whenever I try to create a cap with cap selection on a 3x3 simple patch mesh (the latter bent and ready for some caps) there either happens nothing at all (when choosing endcap, inv. bevel and inv. endcap) or (when choosing bevel) the editor always takes 0,0,0 as the reference point and snaps the bevel to this coordinate instead of taking my patch mesh.
This happens all of a sudden, I've been using 1.6.3 for some time now and I can't remember the editor (any version of it) behaving this strangely before. What am I doing wrong? Or is this something known with 1.6.3?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You just have to build the "cap" as a patch-mesh and fit it the way you want. I think "cap-selection" only works for that few "given" curves in the curve menu.
Maybe try 1.6.4

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I just wasn't sure anymore if it is okay to drag vertex points on a patch mesh all onto the same coordinate to create an inverted bevel for example, so I'd had preferred a genuinely working cap selection. Or I might have tried an "uncommon" curve, as you worded it.
Won't go for 1.6.4 though because that version didn't work for me at all unfortunately crashing all the time at the weirdest occasions.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's strange the crashes. Which OS? Don't say Win XP - it is a lot buggy there and I had troubles to get running even earlier Radiant 1.6 including 1.6.3. If you are still using Win XP, I'd suggest you upgrading to Win 7 or Win 8 at least. Not tested in Win 10...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-31-2015 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Win 10 GtkRadiant 1.6.4 runs fine, no problems so far beyond one single crash for me.
There should be an auto-align function like in Unreal Editor and Python script API (using scripts to automate actions, e.g. a better Hollow, or a Carve function that clips the brush so it don't intersect with other brushes, or a better Subtract or a Hollow function with Carve done for the resulting brushes, or a custom 3D Shape function that enables any 3D shape to be carved).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-31-2015 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
A better Hollow

I believe this was added recently. Should be available with the next release. I don't think it bevels edges though, just prevents overlaps. I would still just build using separate brushes as best practice.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 08:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I believe this was added recently. Should be available with the next release. I don't think it bevels edges though, just prevents overlaps. I would still just build using separate brushes as best practice.

Yeah but it might be more flexible and customizable using Python script.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.